What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3x panel upgrade: panel support

[email protected]

I'm New Here
I am upgrading my panel to a G3x touch, the big one :). Problem is, the panel support - F-603 is right in the way of where the screen needs to go. What have others done to solve this problem?

Would love some ideas

In my 9, I had to cut out the supports I had already installed when it was going to be a 6 pack panel. Then I installed the 2 G3X panels and was able to mark where I could replace the removed supports with new braces. It was intimidating to cut out supports but that was the only way to make it work.
PM or email me for some pics if you want.

I removed the supports and just mounted the center stack (transponder, etc..) securely to the panel and sub panel. I have about 50 hours on the new panel and it is working fine. I even have the GSU 25 mounted on the back of the GDU 460 :eek:

I had to cut and move the supports too, as suggested above. I have a G3X on both the pilot and copilot sides

One thing to consider when doing the layout is whether you want to put a radio/nav stack (6.25" wide boxes)in the middle of the panel between the G3X's (if you have two) is to design in any rack mounting hardware, L-brackets, etc that you may want to use in the future for the panel and aft support .. and locate the new support ribs appropriately, or make them integral with the rack supports.

I had to do a bit of retrofit on my supports when I added a few rack mounted boxes -- would have been trivial to have designed it in from the start.

I had to cut and move the supports too, as suggested above. I have a G3X on both the pilot and copilot sides

One thing to consider when doing the layout is whether you want to put a radio/nav stack (6.25" wide boxes)in the middle of the panel between the G3X's (if you have two) is to design in any rack mounting hardware, L-brackets, etc that you may want to use in the future for the panel and aft support .. and locate the new support ribs appropriately, or make them integral with the rack supports.

I had to do a bit of retrofit on my supports when I added a few rack mounted boxes -- would have been trivial to have designed it in from the start.
I’m going to have to shift my radio rack to the right as well, I still have a couple of rack items, gtx 327, gmc box, etc. looks like it’s time to bust out the rivet gun again :)

I decided keeping both screens on one side. The AP and Radio are a bit of a reach but both can be controlled on the screens. I like the setup for me.

Attachments

• Shepard RV9 tipper Dsgn #4a.jpg
    Shepard RV9 tipper Dsgn #4a.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 142
If you/next owner ever plan to equip for IFR that panel may not work so well.
I'm a fan of the center stack/standardization when able.
Upgrades are inevitable.

Not sure about a -6, but on my -7 I moved the screens as far down as they would go, which cleared the supports. I mounted a bunch of switches above the screens, and so far I like how it turned out.

If you/next owner ever plan to equip for IFR that panel may not work so well.
I'm a fan of the center stack/standardization when able.
Upgrades are inevitable.

Yeah on mine I’m only talking shifting it like 4” right so I can center the G3x in front of me and slip a g5 off to the left for future ifr upgrades.. room on the stack for an ifr nav.

I wanted to take a look at my ribs before I responded. I have a RV7A slider and I only had to notch the bottom of the ribs. For my panel I have a modular configuration so it looks a little different, but I actually have a row of warning/lights & switches above my 10" G3x. I had to notch the bottom of the ribs to clear those lights but not the for the G3x. So if you were to put the G3x in the same vertical position I have it in I don't think you would need to do much cutting of the ribs. Here is a pic of my left side panel from the Front Panel Express tool. I have the 10" G3x and the G5 next to it.

I did the reinforcement of the ribs in a couple of different ways. On one I added a doubler and on another I added a piece of angle to stiffen the rib.

I have a 7" G3x on the Coplilot side so that didn't create any problems for me.

If your interference is actually because your radio stack is going to hit the ribs then you should consider putting the shorter (depth) items at the top like the auto pilot controller and the audio panel.

Attachments

• Left_panel.png
    Left_panel.png
    87.7 KB · Views: 111
  • rib_angle_addition.jpg
    rib_angle_addition.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 108
  • rib_doubler.jpg
    rib_doubler.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 109
Back