What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plane Power 60 amp alternator issue

I can confirm that the INR724 is an exact fit. My bench test on the repaired PP alternator was successful. Used an electric drill with a 3/4” socket to drive the pully, and wired up a small 12V Battery for testig.

Scoped the waveform, looks good.

View attachment 24337

The old diode pack shown.

I concur, INR724 diode bridge fits and works.

Vern, did your SRE bearing look like this? I need to confirm if these are still used.
IMG_4761.jpg

Following up:

One characteristic of a failing alternator (diode or stator failures) is the high pitched whine that you hear in the headsets.

The level increases with load, so it can be easily detected with wig-wag lights toggling, for example.

As a backstory, I designed and built a video game in the 1970's. As a poor student, I couldn't afford an oscilloscope, so I rigged up my Sennheiser headphones with a series resistor+capacitor to allow me to hear what was happening in my circuit. It is amazing how much your ears can tell you. That was in the days where I could hear the hear the horizontal sweep of the old CRT TVs and computer monitors!

V

It is amazing how much your ears can tell you. That was in the days where I could hear the hear the horizontal sweep of the old CRT TVs and computer monitors!

V

Oh man, I remember that, being able to hear the fly-back transformers. The color TV sets sounded different than the black-and-white, as well.

Back