What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drill bushing?

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
What did you guys use for that "Drill bushing" placed in the elevator bearing to drill the control horns? I think I found them previously in HD, but now all the "spacers" there are sized to screw size by numbers?

I'm just getting to this step now. For some reason, when I built the elevators, I never completed this step. Now that I'm mounting elevators to horiz stab, I gotta drill these holes.

I didn't see anything included in the kit. And, the plans say to "fabricate" one from suitable material. So, I ordered some 1/4 X 0.65 4130 tubing. This should work with a #31 drill bit for the pilot hole.

My tail kit was from 2019 and I didn’t see one in the kit.
I used some brass bar of the correct OD, which is the ID of the bearing, and drilled it on a lathe.
Worked really well.

Attachments

• 91F2FF54-0348-4CC6-95C4-07B269DCA1C2.jpg
    91F2FF54-0348-4CC6-95C4-07B269DCA1C2.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
... So, I ordered some 1/4 X 0.65 4130 tubing. This should work with a #31 drill bit for the pilot hole.

My "drill guide" worked out great.

I chucked it up in my mill (glorified drill press) and used a strip of 100 grit sandpaper to remove a couple thousandths OD, just enough so that it slipped cleanly the the inner bearing race. I reamed it out to #30 and drilled the pilot hole in the first elevator horn. Nice and neat!

I used a uni-bit to step drill up to 1/4". and deburred the hole. Reinstalled the first elevator and slipped the AN4 bolt in place. Elevator moved through full travel smooth as glass.

I made one on my little lathe from an extra AN bolt. Face off the head, drill down the middle, part off the threads.

Same process for engine mount drill bushings. I made two of them in intermediate sizes to step-up the hole, drilled the third time about 1/64 undersize, and reamed for the last step.

For a crappy benchtop lathe off of craigslist I've gotten a lot of use out of it...

I think I just kept wrapping electrical tape around a #40 drill bit until it fit snug in the elevator bearing. But it's been a long time.

Back