What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B Notam shortcomings

iamtheari

Well Known Member
My home airport has two notams at the moment. One is the permanent closure of our grass runway. The other is the closure from 4/1/2021 until 10/1/2021 of our paved runway. We have zero open runways this summer.

I have a G3X Touch panel with a GTX 45R transponder and GTN 650 Xi navigator. I checked the notams while flying in the area today and was shocked that the runway closures were not listed. They show up on ForeFlight on my iPhone just fine. But neither the Waypoint Info page on the G3X nor the GTN showed them. The GTN listed two tower light notams. The G3X didn’t even lost those.

I’m not sure why this would be. Any ideas of what I can check? Or is this a shortcoming of ADS-B?

When I used the FAA site for Notams I find that your runway notam is domestic and not ICAO.
I wonder if that has anything to do with it?
Maybe miss-filed or the settings in you G3X only pick upp the ICAO Notams.

Just guessing here.

When I used the FAA site for Notams I find that your runway notam is domestic and not ICAO.
I wonder if that has anything to do with it?
Maybe miss-filed or the settings in you G3X only pick upp the ICAO Notams.

Just guessing here.

Good catch. I never noticed that. I’ll have to see about how we filed it. Something to know about, though, if the G3X doesn’t pick up domestic style notams

Are the runway closure NOTAMS (original issue date) at your home airport older than 30 days?

According to the current 2021 AIM, "NOTAM−D and NOTAM−FDC products broadcast via FIS−B are limited to those issued or effective within the past 30 days".

When the government added all the newer low value forecast (not active) weather products to a FIS-B stream that can only transmit 323 bytes/sec, they dropped all NOTAMS older then 30 days. According to them, they are now transmitting 20% fewer NOTAMS to make room for these new weather products.

The only new transmitted FIS-B weather product that is active (not forecast) is lightning. I don't even bother enabling support for the new FIS-B forecasted weather products. I use those on the ground when flight planning, but don't generally have much use for them while airborne.

Steve

I think Steve has it - older than 30 days. I’ve heard of airport managers who continuously (every 30 days) re-submit a notam to keep it active.
If I go to <notams.aim.faa.gov/NotamSearch/> I see your runway closures listed.

Edit: for those who don't know, this is the new place to search for Notams older than 30 days. The old Notice to Airmen hard copy publication has been discontinued.

Last edited:
Are the runway closure NOTAMS (original issue date) at your home airport older than 30 days?

According to the current 2021 AIM, "NOTAM−D and NOTAM−FDC products broadcast via FIS−B are limited to those issued or effective within the past 30 days".

But the NOTAMs are effective within the past 30 days.

But the NOTAMs are effective within the past 30 days.

This is the result of still using contractions and shortcuts from the teletype age. So ‘effective’ doesn’t mean the usual English interpretation. It means ‘effective date’, which is the date of the start of the closure.

Back