Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2021, 02:00 PM

Default workspace considerations for dimpling skins on the -14

So I'm finalizing my workshop and I was thinking about where I would put the DRDT2 (or c-frame, whichever you prefer) and I realized I didn't know how much space I would need on either side of the dimpling machine because I don't know what the biggest (longest?) skin is that we have to dimple for this plane.

I'm thinking that 3-4ft on either side of the dimpling fixture should be enough, but I want to be sure. If those dimensions don't work then I'll have to keep the dimpling in the "secondary workshop" AKA wife's portion of the garage... and we all know that doesn't always work long term.

can anyone tell me the length of the longest skin we have to dimple for this plane?

Thanks
Old 08-03-2021, 02:23 PM

Default Portable

Dimpling is done occasionally only, so rather than a fixed setup, have you considered using a narrow portable stand for the dimpler? That is what I use (for my -6A, which is smaller than a -14), along with two six foot folding tables that get set up either side of the dimpler. It works very well and takes up little space when it's not being used.
(3-4 feet is probably not going to be enough for the wing skins and some of the fuselage skins.)
Building RV-6A #22320 O-320 FP. Wings and tail complete, working on fuselage
Flying my Aeroprakt A-22 STOL and the aero club's RV-9A while I build
Old 08-03-2021, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulvS View Post
Dimpling is done occasionally only, so rather than a fixed setup, have you considered using a narrow portable stand for the dimpler? That is what I use (for my -6A, which is smaller than a -14), along with two six foot folding tables that get set up either side of the dimpler. It works very well and takes up little space when it's not being used.
(3-4 feet is probably not going to be enough for the wing skins and some of the fuselage skins.)
Not a bad idea. I was saying 3-4 feet on both sides, so 8 or so total.

I definitely don't think it'll be a fixture in the workshop, more set up and torn down as needed so your idea is a good one.
Old 08-03-2021, 02:57 PM

6 or 8 foot table worked for me. I slid the dimpler Lt & Rt down the table as needed so sheet never over hung the table dangerously either end. I also used 2 small plywood platforms (1' x 2' spaced vertically with 2x4s) to keep the sheet horizontal, also slid them around to best stabilize the sheet as needed.
Old 08-03-2021, 03:06 PM

I found a rolling cart to be helpful keeping the long empennage and wing skins from hanging too far unsupported.
Miss March 2020
Old 08-03-2021, 03:18 PM

If your dimpler is fixed I would think you need 15-16 feet space. A better idea is to just move the dimpler around the table (I screwed it down) and use little tables to hold the skin up. This post shows the dimpling tables - they have carpet on them now.

This blog entry has a pic of one of the longer top skins on the bench being dimpled to give you some idea.

By far the hardest thing to dimple is the horizontal stab skin - I found the best way was to hang it over the edge of the bench so the skin went under the bench - and the male die on the top. This post shows a pic of how I did the HS skins.
http://www.tasrv14.blogspot.com.au/
Old 08-04-2021, 03:42 AM

Default DRDT 2 Mounting

I mounted my DRDT2 between two movable benches, which worked well for me. See this blog post ...
https://vansrv14project.uk/2018/09/0...imple-session/
Old 08-04-2021, 04:35 AM

Another idea here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2126.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	364.1 KB
ID:	14316  
Old 08-04-2021, 08:06 AM

Default Bench set up

Mine was like Ty above except...
I use EAA benches. Easy to move them around. The platform and C-frame were not permenant so everythjng could be arranged to fit the job.
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit, now FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:44 AM

Thanks for all the tips everyone!

Looks like I've got some more ideas to consider placement and surrounding infrastructure.

I might try and create some sort of modular tabletop out of Foamular insulation board that sits ontop of whichever workbench is in use at the time and matches the dimpling level of the DRDT2 so it can be lightweight and easily setup/torn down and stored in relatively small amount of space.