Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 08-09-2021, 11:54 AM

Default How long until...

For those who built in their home garage:

At what point did you finally HAVE to move it to a hangar?

And from that point, how long did it take until first flight?

I'm curious, because some people are taking 5+ years building. And if you are renting hangar space for the whole build, at say $300/month, that eats up $18,000 right there.

Ouch.
Old 08-09-2021, 12:05 PM

I had everything done that I could do at home, I even fit the wings and rigged the ailerons and flaps. The tail was completely done and installed. I then moved it to the airport, at that point it took about a month the get it ready for the DAR inspection. I flew it 2 days later.

I found it much easier to work at home, as soon as I moved to the airport it took It took longer to get to the airplane to work on it and I sometimes forgot a tool or part and had to make 2 trips to the airport.

The other thing to consider is hangar availability, you might have to get a hangar early so you'll have it when you need it.
RV8 N848DW. Ser#83830 done.
James Cowl
DAR inspection on 7-23-2021
First flight on 7-25-2021
Phase 2 on 9-3-2021
Old 08-09-2021, 12:09 PM

How frowned upon by airports is it if you can't get a hangar and want to hang the wings on the ramp?
Old 08-09-2021, 12:31 PM

Very similar to Sam, I built and fitted everything in the garage, took it to the paint shop and from paint shop directly and for the first time to the hanger. My first flight was approximately two weeks later.
Building in the garage is one way to cut that 5+ years to a far shorter time. My first one took 11 months to build and second one is hoping to be done in 12 months pending back order parts.

Good luck with your build.
Dues paid
Old 08-09-2021, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeakersc063 View Post
How frowned upon by airports is it if you can't get a hangar and want to hang the wings on the ramp?
How are you going to secure that from wind and other elements. Wouldn't a storage be much safer?
Dues paid
Old 08-09-2021, 12:44 PM

RV-10. Started in the garage Aug 2007; first flight May 2011. Moved to hangar Feb 2010. (I was planning on moving about 4 months later than that, but a ‘too good to pass up’ deal came along). Small two car garage, sloped, tree-lined driveway. No way to fit wings at home. I think I could have hung the engine (awkward access, the nose would be in a corner) at home, I definitely could have worked on avionics at home (this meant buying them then, increasing the chance of having a new airplane with out-dated avionics). I’m happy with the way it worked out.
Here at LVK working at a tie-down is frowned on. e.g., against the rules but not enforced for little operations. I don’t know what they’d say about hanging wings.
Old 08-09-2021, 01:03 PM

I kinda wish I would have kept my hangar, or at least found another airplane to share the rent. Instead I gave it up and now I'm at the bottom of the list.

At least I'm saving the hangar rent and I probably am two years away from bolting on the wings but still its another problem to solve.
Old 08-09-2021, 01:33 PM

For me, it was just under 2y5m in the garage, then another 4+ months in the hangar before first flight ... but, I could have reduced the time in the hangar by 1-2 months by finishing all the fiberglass work in my garage. Very little _needs_ to be done in a hangar. I had rented a hangar 8 months early to store the wings, and to make sure I had a hangar when I needed one, so I had some flexibility.

_Alex

2021 RV-14A: Flying as of 4/13/21 - 59hrs so far
1999 Cessna 182S - Sold
Old 08-09-2021, 02:50 PM

Default Garage to Hangar

We moved to our Hangar with all components completed on 30 March. Assembled during April and first flight on 1 May. Phase one complete and waiting for paint shop to call.
Old 08-09-2021, 02:58 PM

I was 27 days from move to hangar to first flight.
I had everything I could complete done at home.
Wings temporarily put on and flaps and ailerons rigged.
All I did at the hangar was mount the wings, wire wings to fuse,
Fuel calibration, first engine run, and W&B.
2017 Waco YMF-5
RV-14 Kit # 140694
First Flight - June 22, 2021
2021 Dues Paid