Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_rainbolt View Post
I'm with the build on crowd. Try not to let these kinds of set backs destroy your momentum. I know -- it's much easier said than done.

And while we are sharing our screw ups:

My right elevator fell to the concrete floor while I was painting. Here is part of what I wrote in my blog at the time. Some of the feelings you may find familiar:

Did that just happen? I just stood there in stunned disbelief while my brain worked feverishly to assemble the appropriate profane response. Fortunately, I had the forethought to stockpile a great reserve of emergency profanity for just such an occasion. Logistically though, it's not such an easy thing to do. That is, to launch in an instant, the mother of all swear storms that common sense demands. In a second or two my paralysis fades and I spring into verbal action. At least that is what I thought would happen. But I find that I am unable to form intelligible words as I attempt to unload my entire arsenal at the same time. That ever so small portion of the profane artistry which finally makes it past my vocal cords intact is just one tiny, weeny, almost imperceptible, "@$%#." All the while, in in my mind, I keep seeing the Hindenburg going up. Over and over. Oh, the humanity!

Anyway, I cut off and rebuilt just the dented tip and I haven't thought about it again in over 400 hours of flying.

Keep pounding those rivets.
You might think of all those of us who have reached back into our history of swear words for like events; like cracking our canopy on installation.
Sold Oct 2014-Not one of my best decisions

2021 Dues Paid
Old 08-23-2019, 10:02 AM

This is a magnificent statement:

?Did that just happen? I just stood there in stunned disbelief while my brain worked feverishly to assemble the appropriate profane response. Fortunately, I had the forethought to stockpile a great reserve of emergency profanity for just such an occasion.?

It should be on a t-shirt or poster. Stockpiling a reserve of emergency profanity is something people should be taught in school, especially those who waste profanity in ordinary discussion. I have never understood what those folks do in an emergency.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:09 AM

I might as well have ordered two empennage kits given the amount of stuff I have screwed up!

Haven’t even started riveting yet.

I’m putting it down to a steep learning curve, and I would rather make these mistakes on the tail than on something more expensive. But I do have moments where I wonder if I’m cut out for this.

Last edited by Jonnyb : 08-25-2019 at 05:14 AM.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:24 PM

Default Over, Quit...

"Over? quit? Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? **** no, its not over." Not to minimize your frustrations with a quote from Animal House but on a serious note: All great endeavors have moments of doubt. It will be nothing more than great, funny story in a year from now.

Last edited by Frankster13 : 10-10-2019 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:44 PM

Edgewood? ASW20? You must be a glider guider out at Moriarty. Great place. Great fun.

On topic. The RV-14 is awesome and very worth the effort. Putting your heart and soul into something and then conquering it is the point. Sometimes it's sand castles, ice sculptures or sidewalk chalk art. Things appreciated for the process rather than a lasting usable result. The process and learning is one of the best parts, even if sometimes only recognizable later. Yes, it sux right now. No candy coating about it. But this is precisely the thing you will look back on one day and appreciate your aircraft even more. It is the hard, complicated problems we step up to fix that makes us more whole. More complete. More satisfied in the end.

My very good friend Dennis built an RV-8 with his father. It was a 11 year slow build by two fellows who started from zero knowledge. At the beginning of the project one of Dennis' mantras was that he wanted to, "Savor the experience". A few years down the road found Dennis in the tail cone in 120 degree weather holding a bucking bar while his dad stood outside with a rivet gun hollering, "Are you savoring the experience?". It was a quote that got thrown around alot during the stressful parts of the build. Good guys. And the end result was one of my favorite airplanes of all time.

So, as for me. Did you know if you are building an Avid Flyer or Kitfox it is very easy to build two right or left wings instead of one of each? So much so the Avid factory had a wing hotline where builders who did that could swap one wing with another builder who built two of the opposite side. Please don't ask me how I know. That was a bad day in Flat Rock. What's more I was an aerospace design engineer in Seattle at the time. So you are doing just fine. And the RV-14 is super nice and worth it.

I am putting a newly redone engine on my RV-8 right now and when it's tested I would be happy to come up and visit you in Edgewood and let you have a go. I have a friend up there I need to see anyway. We airplane people types are good. We can count on each other.

Thanks for starting a great thread. In frustration for sure. But you hit a nest of people who know exactly how you feel. ��

Last edited by jliltd : 10-10-2019 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster13 View Post
"Over? quit? Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? **** no, its not over." Not to minimize your frustrations with a quote from Animal House but on a serious note: All great endeavors have moments of doubt. It will be nothing more than great, funny story in a year from now.
I love the quote! "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."
That is what I say from time to time...

Helps pass the time...
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3
Bi-annual financial contributor

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." Teddy Roosevelt
Old 10-10-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyb View Post
I might as well have ordered two empennage kits given the amount of stuff I have screwed up!

Haven’t even started riveting yet.

I’m putting it down to a steep learning curve, and I would rather make these mistakes on the tail than on something more expensive. But I do have moments where I wonder if I’m cut out for this.
It's been a long time since I was on the emp, but as I recall I screwed up more than a few things and made several trips down to Vans. Fast forward to the side skirts on the slider and maybe 2-3 sets later it's good. Everyone on here has different battles, challenges, etc. but we all have them.

I am not even flying yet but am finally getting close-ish and I say soldier on- stop, have a beer, organize your tools or take your wife out to dinner. You'll miss it and then head back in.
First flight 5/25/2021
Phase 1
2018/19/20 VAF dues paid
Old 10-11-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyb View Post
I was fortunate enough to have a very well known builder on these forums inspect my tail kit at about the 1/2 way stage. One comment that stuck from that visit was something to the effect of "it's unfortunate Van's has you build the empennage first; it's the hardest kit to build."

Or, another one from a really good friend of mine: "You build the first one 3 times."
Old 10-11-2019, 08:16 PM

Yea, there surely can be lots of rebuilding. I elected to shell out about $450 for the tipper canopy metal parts after trying to get everything to fit, but swiss-cheesed the aluminum too much to be airworthy.

For some of the operations, a do-over is the perfect execution of what you learned the first time around. Frustrating, and sometimes expensive, but ultimately happy in the end.

Be patient, and keep pounding! (and bum a ride in an RV for a motivation boost!)
Old 10-20-2019, 09:55 AM

I’m glad to have found this thread. It’s been months since I’ve even visited the forum after a large setback on the HS back in May. Every step of this process has been incredibly difficult for me, but that was part of the reason I wanted to attempt the project. As the flying season comes to a close in my part of the world, perhaps I can get back to the business of building. I think my experience on the empennage so far has taught me that I need to pick up extra time at work and save for QB options. I think my build timeline will grow due to that financial pressure.