to donate fast.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:37 AM

RV-14A #140376
N196 (Flying)
2019 Bronze Lindy
Old 06-07-2019, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TASEsq View Post
Page 12-07 step 6 is to attach the rider bottom fairing, but the diagram below specifying the screws has the title ?FIGURE 5: MATCH-DRILLING RUDDER BOTTOM FAIRING?. Obviously this is already done.
I noticed that. I think it was a copy-and-paste error. Page 12-07 figure 5 is a duplicate of page 12-02 figure 3, which has that caption, except that the call-outs were changed from drilling and nutplate instructions to the screws to use. They just forgot to change the caption when they copied it over.

That brings me to my section 12 gotcha: Page 12-05 figure 2 calls for CS4-4 rivets in 18 places on the rudder top fairing. There are indeed 9 holes shown in the drawing, figure 2. I was sad to see I only had 8 holes until I looked back to section 7, which shows just 8 holes on each side. (One of which gets dimpled on page 07-04 step 4 since things are too tight to reach that one after you rivet the rudder halves together.)
Old 10-21-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n982sx View Post
I was referring to the Main Wire Harness 14/14A Kit, Van's part number ES WH-00125 KIT, which is an option. It is not included in any kit. If you are going to order it, order it with the fuselage kit so that you can install it as you build the fuselage.

It is not too hard to install after the fuselage is assembled but it will be a lot easier to install while building. I was very disappointed that it did not come standard with the fuselage kit as the wiring did for the wings and empennage.

On the download page, there is a drawing of the harness and it is detailed enough that you could make your own that would interface with the wing and empennage harnesses.
I completed the fuselage kit and put the plane on landing gear before I ordered the WH-00125. Tonight, as I am partly done installing half of the wiring harness, I feel like that was a mistake.

I wish that I had installed the wiring harness before the elevator control rods (section 36). The Molex connector that goes to the aft fuselage (attaching at the F-01406 aft baggage bulkhead) is going to be difficult or impossible to get through the F-01405 bulkhead with the CS-00001 elevator pushrod in place.

Looking back through the plans, the wiring harness would probably be easiest to install before the side skins (section 29) or maybe even earlier. Definitely, order the wiring harness around the time you receive the fuselage kit.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockmanreef View Post
Coax cable for the transponder that is supplied with the empennage kit is very short and limits your options for installing the transponder. I installed the GTR-45R behind the G3X on the copilot side and the coax cable is way too short. The only place you can put the transponder is behind the center stack between the sub panel and the firewall. I pulled out the original coax and re-ran a longer piece of coax--there goes $50 down the drain. I guess I can sell the coax cable.
Yes, the stock transponder coax length is too short, but it can be easily extended. Just cut a length of RG-400 cable to suit, then put a male connector on one end and a female on the other. This solution is fine per Stein, so there's no reason to pull the original coax.

RV-8 N118KB (#81125) - Sold
RV-14A N114KB (#140494) - Sold

RV-14A.com
N114KB Build Site
Old 07-14-2020, 11:45 AM

Default Section 29 Gotcha

My latest practice is to identify all the parts for a particular plans' section, then do all the prep work (deburring, drilling, cutting, priming, etc.) for all the parts before assembly. I find this to be far more satisfying when I can blast through a section and really see parts coming together. This approach, however, bit me on the rear in section 29.
Part number F-01405K as depicted in figure 2 on page 29-19 has a mistake relative to steps 5 and 6. The machine countersink note in the upper left of figure 2 says to machine countersink the #40 holes in F-01405K. However this note is wrong and should be pointing at F-01405H instead. F-01405K should be dimpled, not countersunk per steps 5 and 6 on this page.
Now I get to order a new part because I was in "prep mode" and wasn't paying attention to the written step instructions and therefore didn't catch the mistake until it was too late.
Waiting on Finishing Kit
Old 07-14-2020, 03:04 PM

Thank you, I am just three pages away from here and made a note
Old 07-14-2020, 03:30 PM

Thank you

Submitted for correction at the next revision cycle.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
FAA/DAR
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 09-07-2020, 01:02 PM

Default Rudder tip fairing attachment

I was looking ahead and studying the attachment of the rudder tip fairing. Noticed on page 12-05 that 18 CS4-4 rivets are called for. My rudder has only 16 rivet holes so I contacted Van's about the discrepancy. Seems that, when preparing the rudder skins prior to assembly, an additional rivet hole is supposed to be drilled on each rudder skin offset on either side since there won't be room for the two rivets back to back. Since the two skins are identical parts prior to bending the forward end of the balance tab, the holes can't be punched along with the rest. As I was told, this is done in the RV-7 and RV-9 rudder (the latter shown in the attached drawing).

There's probably not much consequence to the missing holes. In my case, I intend to use Hysol in conjunction with the rivets to attach the fairing. It would probably also be possible to drill the holes after rudder assembly but I could not find any way to dimple them.

For what it's worth.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image001.png
Views:	156
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	2137  
RV-14 #140212
Empennage completed
QB wings 95% done
QB fuse in progress
2021 DUES PAID
Marion, IN MZZ
Old 09-07-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreFlyr View Post
My rudder has only 16 rivet holes
Hi Ray,

That’s interesting - mine had 9 holes a side, the aft most one was drilled to #30 and dimpled at page 07-04 step 2 ready for countersinking they fairing at a later date.

EDIT: I can’t count. Mine had 8 holes as well. See other post above.
http://www.tasrv14.blogspot.com.au/

Last edited by TASEsq : 09-08-2020 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Was wrong!
Old 09-08-2020, 05:00 AM

Ahh, it may be that the plans have been revised and I missed that.

EDIT: Just checked. That's not it. Those two holes (one each side) were the last of 8 each side on mine, I'm pretty sure. I remember doing that step. What I was told was that a new hole needed to be drilled in each side, each staggered from the other to allow room for the rivets to go besides each other on the inside.
RV-14 #140212
Empennage completed
QB wings 95% done
QB fuse in progress
2021 DUES PAID
Marion, IN MZZ

Last edited by SabreFlyr : 09-08-2020 at 05:10 AM.