What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AerosalesEAB 147hp

Whenever I see structure like this, hogged out of plate like these parts are, I cringe. It means that the designer has no clue about basic aircraft design and weight consciousness, and it makes me wonder what else the designer is ignorant about.

Cringe.jpg

Dave

Whenever I see structure like this, hogged out of plate like these parts are, I cringe. It means that the designer has no clue about basic aircraft design and weight consciousness, and it makes me wonder what else the designer is ignorant about.

View attachment 4847

Dave

I agree; that mount looks a bit basic in design. All the engine weight leverages on just two bolts to the firewall? The weight isn't as much concern as they claim the difference between the firewall forward from them and the Rotax 912iS firewall forward is just 10 pounds.

I agree; that mount looks a bit basic in design. All the engine weight leverages on just two bolts to the firewall? The weight isn't as much concern as they claim the difference between the firewall forward from them and the Rotax 912iS firewall forward is just 10 pounds.

Appears to use the same four bolts as ULS912 - two at nose gear and two at upper firewall stepback.

There are a lot of interesting designs of engines out there. And many of them may turn out to be proven aircraft engines. But I am not a test pilot and am not at all interested in being the Guinee Pig for any of those designs. That is why Van's and most of us fly the Rotax, which is a proven aircraft engine.

Does look a bit dodgey, but you guys should see some of the stuff on ultralights at the air shows. Makes me wonder why it took the Wright brothers so long!😜

Check out this guys channel. I think he is in Australia. He put that engine in and then had serious problems before he even flew it and had to completely replace the engine. At his expense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sty_T0ZIadQ

When you have to buy it twice it negates the "half price" benefit!

Residing in the Rockies has me thinking the 100hp might be too weak in this density altitude is why I am looking at higher horsepower for the RV-12iS. Has anyone upgraded to the 915iS for the turbo at higher DA? It appears to be 33 pounds heavier; would this make the RV-12iS nose heavy/out of weight and balance?

Aeromomentum AM15-HP - my experience fwiw

Hey guys. I'm Dick Gossen, N218DG – the RV-12 in that “Tip-of-the-week” video. Since that video was made, I'm no longer the “exclusive sales agent” for the Aeromomentum/RV-12. Having me between the factory and their customer added no value and made no sense for the customer. My role now is simply 1st-tier builder support phone consultation. As a side benefit, I'm also the testbed for ongoing product enhancements (freebies). I'm not an employee, I just love doing this stuff!

I'm a retired engineer/certified gearhead and was very impressed with Mark Kettering (Aeromomentum) the first time I met him. Serious aeronautical engineer, to say the least. I've watched, and participated, as he has evolved the product from an excellent airboat engine (he's got over a hundred of those in service), to eventually a reliable, airworthy package suitable for EAB.

I've got almost 200 hours on my AM15-HP, and it's everything I said it was in that video. You can PM me if you like.

When you have to buy it twice it negates the "half price" benefit!

Residing in the Rockies has me thinking the 100hp might be too weak in this density altitude is why I am looking at higher horsepower for the RV-12iS. Has anyone upgraded to the 915iS for the turbo at higher DA? It appears to be 33 pounds heavier; would this make the RV-12iS nose heavy/out of weight and balance?

Build your plane E-AB and install the Rotax 914 Turbo model. 115HP, easier on weight, and you get that HP on tap at almost any altitude. Should have no problem in the Rockies with that, might have to mount your battery somewhere else for CG

You might also be able to build your plane E-LSA with the 912 ULS, then after it's certified airworthy, set it up with a zero net gain 1 ATM pressure turbocharger that will only let the motor make 100HP, as it would at sea-level, which should not over stress the motor.

Last edited:
Could build it EAB with a 914 and keep the gross weight and other parameters within LSA limits so it qualifies as an LSA for sport pilot flying, but seems like a lot of work for minimal return.

Has anyone actually installed and flown with this "147hp" Suzuki engine?

https://aerosaleseab.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mMBxwFrwK4&feature=youtu.be

Edit: 131hp cruise but makes peak hp at 6,500 rpm at 147hp. Seller claims the entire firewall forward package includes EVERYTHING (engine, exhaust, harness, prop, spinner, cowling, mount, nuts, bolts, key switch, radiator, oil cooler, etc.) for under $18,000.

No..unless you actually like tinkering and experimenting. If you want to fly your airplane and expect things to work nearly every time you turn the key, buy a Rotax. They are not cheap, but all the proofing and engineering has been done for you.

I think you're asking for trouble with these automotive engines turning 5-6K to make hp all day long.

Back