What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Continental/Titan Engine RV7

Karetaker

Well Known Member
Howdy everyone. I am starting my research for a new engine for my RV-7. I have reached out to Superior Air Parts with no joy...no reply to my engine quote request, emails and phone messages. Aircraft Spruce sells Superior engines and I was given a name and phone number to their "engine guy". No reply from him as of yet. Today, I contacted Aero Sport Power in Canada and after a few email chats, talked to Darren on the phone. I prefer Superior Air Parts at the moment, but may consider a Continental Titan engine from Aero Sport Power.

Thoughts?

Are you planning on a modified engine. Aero Sport was significantly higher than a Lycoming from Vans and no delivery time commitment on a recent quote.

When I did my research all the aftermarket engine shops were in the running but after looking at them all, I decided that the most important thing to me was reliability and price...

IMHO, It's hard or impossible to beat a Lycoming from Vans if those two criteria are important.

I am looking for a way to build my own, new engine; not used, not overhauled. Superior Air Parts sells engine kits through Aircraft Spruce, but ACS has a limited selection. An ACS sales rep gave me the number to their "engine guy" but I have not heard from him. I really like what I see at Superior Air Parts but so far have not talked to anyone directly. Aero Sport Power sells Titan kits but I am not familiar with them nor Titan engines, but impressed that I am able to talk with them so quickly and have a quote in work. Any intel. on Titan engines or Aero Sport Power is appreciated.

Call James Ball (JB) at Continental. You will not have an issue with him following up. He’s on this forum occasionally. I’ll PM you a phone number tomorrow if someone doesn’t beat me to it. They advertise here on this forum, left side of the screen. Numbers are listed in that link as well. I shopped around a lot. No one was close to them value wise. Have never heard of a kit from them but the aforementioned would know. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Much obliged. I have submitted an engine quote request at the Continental website and noted what I was hoping to do. I will follow up with Bill and see what gives.

Superior Air Parts

I was trying to get a quote from Superior also, took a while for them to get back to me but they said they don’t have any crankshaft for 360s and they don’t have a source for them yet, so it would be over a year before they can get an engine out.

Howdy Jeff. Curious how long you waited on Superior to get back to you? Did you contact them via the engine quote page on their site, or did you leave a voice mail? I have done both and so far...silence.

I am receiving a lot of private messages and really appreciate it! Some good insight and suggestions. Keep them coming!

American Legend has been using the Continental Titan X-340 for a couple of years now and they are very happy with this engine.

How about we start sharing these good insights and suggestions? Probably a few of us interested.

Thanks,
-Joe

I agree that may be a good idea, however, the individuals who messaged me private probably did so for a reason. Up to them if they want to repost here in public.

I can say if building up your own kit, there are a lot of options and a lot of research to be done. Still working it but getting closer; I'll post my findings as I go.

There all good

All of the engine parts manufactures are good. Lycoming, ECI, Superior. Its the engine build shop knowledge base is what you want.

I have been in constant email contact with Aero Sport Power since my phone call with them. I have asked a lot of questions and am getting answers within minutes/hours; which is encouraging. I asked about the manuals I would need for this custom engine; overhaul, maintenance, operators, installation, etc. ASP will be sending the manuals via DropBox, as the files are quite large. I am curious if the manuals will be specific to their engines or if they will be common Lycoming manuals.

The quote should be coming next week; my gut feeling is it will cost as much/more than a new completely built engine from Vans or the like. Hope I'm wrong.

Stand by...

Superior

Howdy Jeff. Curious how long you waited on Superior to get back to you? Did you contact them via the engine quote page on their site, or did you leave a voice mail? I have done both and so far...silence.

Weird...I sent Superior an email three weeks ago requesting a quote on an O-320 and got a response/quote the next day! $30k for the 0-320.
Ed

I have been in constant email contact with Aero Sport Power since my phone call with them. I have asked a lot of questions and am getting answers within minutes/hours; which is encouraging. I asked about the manuals I would need for this custom engine; overhaul, maintenance, operators, installation, etc. ASP will be sending the manuals via DropBox, as the files are quite large. I am curious if the manuals will be specific to their engines or if they will be common Lycoming manuals.

The quote should be coming next week; my gut feeling is it will cost as much/more than a new completely built engine from Vans or the like. Hope I'm wrong.

Stand by...

My prediction is you won't save a lot, relative to a new engine, and you certainly won't have a warranty. On the other hand, you'll have a much better understanding of your engine. A fair trade? Maybe...

Superior/Lycoming/Titan

Hopefully someone here knows this answer. Is the Continental Titan engine a direct clone of the Lycoming, like the Superior engine is? The one thing I have always though better than lycoming about the Continental engine was the camshaft in the bottom of the engine intead of up in the top where it can drain of oil over time.
Ed

Thanks Ed. I'll try Superior again and see what gives. I'll leave the comment about wanting a kit out of the email and see if I get a reply.

Totally happy with my Titan 370, with HC pistons conservatively rated at 195HP :D
JB Ball at Continental is a great guy to work with.

2019013117021090-IMG_0602-L.jpg

Howdy Walt. Couple questions:

Any reason you did not use the 90 deg. oil adapter?

How long is that oil gauge tube? I believe there are various lengths.

Howdy Walt. Couple questions:

Any reason you did not use the 90 deg. oil adapter?

How long is that oil gauge tube? I believe there are various lengths.

Two reasons for the straight (superior) adapter,

I use the B&C back up alt on the vac pad and it won't fit with the angle.

I prefer the way the vernatherm mounts/seats in the Lyc style adapter.

Last edited:
I have a Titan 375 from AeroSport, engine is trouble free after 500 hours. They were helpful in replacing a mag with failed coil (no charge, even though it was Slick’s issue), and with advice and parts to swap one mag for Electoair
Cheers.
Jay

Jay, can you tell me what induction sump you have a which cowling you use? How about the oil filter adapter...straight or 90 degree?

Last edited:
Titan

I have a six year old Titan 370 with nickel carbide cylinders that have never broken in. It bothered me so much, I had the cylinders honed and re-ringed. Before I had it re-ringed, I was getting 5 hours per quart of oil, now I'm getting 3 hours per quart of oil. I haven't had good luck with hard metal cylinders, I'd look at steel cylinders if that's an option. My Titan runs very smoothly and has a lot of power, dynoed at 204 hp.

Back