What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electric Attitude Indicator

David Mozingo

I'm New Here
Simple panel. Steam gauges ( I like the look) . VFR.
I was hoping to avoid installing a vacuum pump.
Anyone have suggestions on an electric Attitude Indicator?

Electric AI

Check out the TruTrak ADI or pictoral turn and bank. I like the ADI with the Internal GPS Ioption. Either are as good a buy as you can find.

MGL and R C Allen

MGL has an electronic AI with LCD screen that fits 3.25" instrument hole for about $1200.
R C Allen is coming out with a solid state AI but dont know when and how much.
Your panel plan is a lot like my plan and looking for an AI, so far the trutrak adi is winning out.
Good luck,
Kelley

Tru Trak ADI

I've been flying with the Tru Trak ADI for over a year and a half. I linked my Lowrance 2000 with it for direction feed and it works great! When I pulled the vacuum pump and all the parts of the vacuum system plus my attitude indicator and directional gyro, I saved somewhere around 9 pounds. :)

I'll pipe in on my great satisfaction with the TruTrak ADI. It says in the instructions, and even confirmed on the phone when installing it, that "pitot input is not necessary for proper function of the instrument." This is not true. Pitot IS necessary for correct bank info.

Putting the horizon on the 500 FPM line, it is matched exactly with the VSI indication.

Once hooked to pitot, the instrument is very easy to use and I love having the DG track info displayed right on the same instrument.

It draws .2 amp (tested).

Mike

RCA 2600

Saw the RCA 2600 @ Sun-N-Fun last year and plan on getting one as a backup. They are $1600 and are suppose to start shipping at the end of Jan? All I know is they are very light and I was really impressed with them. Here is there link http://www.kellymfg.com/ Dave

If you are going to do any aerobatics say good bye to the electric gyro. Any gyro with bearings in it and that is all of them is not going to last long. You are better off to go with the TT equipment.

David:

For the same reason (avoid a vacuum pump), I've been flying with RC Allen electric DG (15AK1) and electric AI (26AK2) for about four years. Just to be clear, these are mechanical instruments but electrically driven.

Based on my experience I suggest you look elsewhere. For the past year or so, I've been getting intermittent "Off" flags. This seems to be occurring more and more frequently. So these are probably due an overhaul (they were new when purchased). My understanding is that RC Allen charges about $800 each just to look at them. So I'll fly them until they finally go TU and then think about an EFIS replacement such as Dynon or TT. My 2Cents

Chris

One flight instrument

David, I removed my VFR round gauges a few years back and installed a Dynon 10A. It's the only flight instrument I have in the panel, but gives me much more info than I had before. ....still a VFR panel, but it's normally cheaper than a six pack round gauge panel with an electric gyro and mine has done nothing but work perfect every flight.

Back