What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Super Bright Display?

logansc

Well Known Member
I'm on my second touch screen display installation now in my Rocket. I am currently running a Xenarc 702TSV which is advertised at 1,000 nits (cd/m2) and even that is not bright enough. I am really surprised how dull it appears with overhead light. When in the shade (it's down on the floor just beyond the stick), it can be seen but not with a lot of clarity. It sits angled back a bit which I'm sure is part of the problem, but though it works wonderfully well inside the hangar, as soon as I roll the airplane out in the sun, it's a no-go.

Has anyone found a truly bright touchscreen display in the 7" to 8" diagonal range? I am driving it with a mini-computer hosting AnywhereMap. Love AnywhereMap, but I was not happy with any of their displays (too small). Finally bought a Motion 800 (as they used to offer) and of course, it isn't bright enough either!.

Anyone got any ideas??

Lee...

Have you looked at littlepc.com? They have some displays that are advertised as being sunlight readable. If nothing else they may be able to point you in the right direction.

Also are you using any sort of anti-reflective film?

It is the touch screen

Lee,
It could be the type touch screen you are using. If you are using a resistive type, you are blocking a lot of light. SAW or capacitive touch screens are much better. I have been running a SAW on a built in 12.1 inch monitor in my -4 for about a year and the even though it gets a little dark with the sun over my shoulder, it is never unreadable. My biggest complaint is that since it is real glass it is too glossy and in some sun angles reflections are a problem.

I am currently running a Xenarc 702TSV which is advertised at 1,000 nits (cd/m2) and even that is not bright enough.
Anyone got any ideas??
Lee...

Lee,
This looks like a good product for the application however I am suspicious when they claim that the display is 'rated at 1000nits'. I wonder if they have actually measured their own product. I would press the manufacturer for information - at least register your concern.

I don't know about the resistive touch screen so I cannot add anything to what was already said.

CCFL backlight lamps require High Voltage AC inverters - possibly these are inadequate or may be limited by the dimming logic from the PC. Sometimes manufacturers have difficulty finding matching inverters for the panel and accept a compromise for the sake of getting a product out the door.

It would be possible to source an alternate higher power inverter or inverters that could be powered independently from the PC. Try ERG (http://www.ergpower.com). They could be dimmed independently from the PC as well.

If you can idenify the LCD panel manufacturer and model and check its data sheet - this will help to determine the maximum voltage recommended or required for the 1000nits.

HTH,
Doug Gray

Thanks for the input, guys. This little display is pretty darn bright, it just doesn't hold up out in direct sunlight. I'll check out the suggestions you guys made and see if they don't make a difference, especially the power supply/inverter idea.

There are some very bright military displays, but they are awfully expensive even if you could get one. Don't think I've hit on the solution yet... Still looking...

Lee...

Instead of making the display brighter, try to darken the area around it.

Have you or anyone found a way to inset the display within the panel, or possible designing a removable upper hood that can produce the desired shade?

Note above the display for the ICON

icon_a5_cockpit1.jpg

AWM Septic

As you probably know by now AWM introduced a 7" 1000 nit model at S&F. As with all their other new platforms it will probably take two years to get the bugs out, but maybe they'll surprise us this time.

It looks quite neat at first glance. Finally something we can see in sunlight!

I have an Aspire One netbook and whatever screen it has is worthless except indoors. Even in my truck on a sunny day it is basically unreadable.

you will have to look at industrial grade displays.
and possibly forgo touch-functionality. not cheap but it's probably the only way to really get satisfaction.

also, brightness by itself is not everything, we stopped looking at just the nits.
anti-glare, contrast and field of view are much more important than pure brightness actually.

for the record, we've used an optrex T-51750GD065J-FW-AA 6.5" VGA non-touch screen so far, which is bright enough, yet the contrast and the field of view could be much better, plus it's CCFL backlight, so it generates more heat and draws a bit more power.
about to upgrade to a hitachi TX17D01VM2CAA 6.5" VGA LED backlit screen.
brightness is 600cd but everything else is much better.
the better the screen, the more it will cost.
an XGA alternative would be 400$ upwards just for the panel, debating that right now.

touch layers are getting better these days, as garmin proves on their new GTN's but still, i prefer keys, touchpads and buttons.
correction by fl-mike; garmin is using infrared instead of a touch layer.

here's a really nice overview over some industrial grade displays:
http://www.msc-ge.com/de/produkte/dis/tft/44-www.html

rgds, bernie

Last edited:
As others have mentioned, adding a resistive touchscreen will really degrade the performance in sunlight. A few things are happening. The film attenuates the backlight brightness directly and it also can introduce an air gap between the glass and the film that will cause silvering, or partial reflectance of the incident sunlight. You will probably see much better performance if you run the panel bare. Also, a transflective display can help a lot by using Mr. Sun against himself. Keep in mind that most EFIS, MFD and EFB manufacturers have their LCD panels modified with anti-reflective coatings and improved backlights. When I was developing a sunlight readable touchscreen product (a while back), I ended up going with near-field imaging for the touch feature. You?ll notice that Garmin is using infra-red on their new stuff, which also avoids any additional films on the glass (the emitters and receivers are around the bezel) and works with gloves on. Good luck, it is a tough environment for a display! I sent most of the ?sunlight readable? LCD vendors packing after the ?Florida parking lot test?.

Back