What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anywhere Map's New Quadra GPS Portable

Bill Palmer

Well Known Member
Here’s a link to Anywhere Map’s comparison of their new Quadra with Garmin’s Aera and Bendix’s AV8OR:

http://www.anywheremap.com/pages/Garmin-Aera-vs-Quadra.aspx

According to Anywhere Map, the Quadra easily wins against the Aera and AV8OR in every category (Resolution, Features, Size, Updates, and COST).

For you Garmin Aera and Bendix AV8OR fans out there, what’s missing from, or wrong with, Anywhere Map’s comparison other than brand loyalty and software interface familiarity?

Thank You,

Bill Palmer :)
Chino Hills, CA

Data Output

I see no mention of serial data output ability.

Historically, that is what the Anywhere Map products have been missing. Basically, they're great if you want to look at the GPS on your panel. However if you want the GPS to integrate with your autopilot, glass panel, radios, etc. you're out of luck. Still a great product, but that's a deal killer in my book.

Ummm, well some of us have plenty of GPS outputs on our panel and just want an EFB.

Looks good, and lifetime subscription beats annual subscription. Maybe this year...

:D

I had an early Anywhere map for IPAQ and loved it. I like the quadra but don't see that is has a PFD? The AERA does.

Sunlight readability?

Remains the big question here.......

My experience with various consumer platform gadgets is that they are unreadable in the RV environment.

Remains the big question here.......

My experience with various consumer platform gadgets is that they are unreadable in the RV environment.

Good question, as I have no idea. But I can say one thing for sure. My Garmin 696 is bright & crisp in every RV condition imaginable. I have a Lowrance 600c on the right side, that is unreadable sometimes. So, yes, I'd like to know how this product stacks up against the 696 with sunlight.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

I'd want to see the sunlight readability too. I've got the Aera 500, mounted high on the panel under my glareshield, and right in front of me... I flew it for the first time on a sunny day this past Saturday, and while it was readable in all attitudes, it definitely got washed out when the sun was behind me. Readable with difficulty would be a good description. Unfortunately my passenger said she couldn't read it at all.

I'm always disappointed with comparisons that don't compare apples to oranges. Sectionals, Approach Plates, and Enroute Charts are included in the top table, but they're not part of the $595 unit. Sure, they put little asterisks there to explain that later, but really, the unit is still pretty impressive on its own without those items in the chart.

I see no mention in the chart of any automotive capability. How is the turn-by-turn navigation once you get from A-B and need to rent a car? My Garmin is perfect for that, and moves seamlessly from my -6 to my Mazda.

Quadra Update

After several e-mail message exchanges with Anywhere Map, I have some updated Quadra information for your information and comment:

The Quadra’s screen brightness is 380 nits. I don’t know how this compares with the Aera; my Google search skills must be meager! The AV8OR Horizon 3D has a screen brightness of 300 nits, but I could not find the screen brightness spec for the basic AV8OR. My guess is that the Quadra, Aera, and AV8OR all have about the same screen brightness; equivalent to the typical automobile touch-screen GPS and limited by their portability/battery life. Of course, an in-person, side-by-side comparison would be best to check the relative screen brightness.

Also, although the Quadra has no external antenna direct plug-in, Anywhere Map sells a Haicom Bluetooth GPS ($149) along with a 2-way vdc splitter ($15). On the main webpage, look under “Products” then “GPS Units” for the Haicom and “Products” then “Power Accessories” for the splitter. Of course, you can buy the splitter just about Anywhere (no pun intended!), and there are probably other, less expensive, Bluetooth GPS products that might work just as well as the Haicom.

Quadra External GPS Functionality, at least as far as I can interpret Anywhere Map’s responses to me: The Haicom communicates with the Quadra via Bluetooth (WiFi) and provides WAAS-enabled GPS data to the Quadra. The 2-way splitter powers the Quadra as well as continuously recharges the Haicom’s batteries. I don’t know if it’s good to have Bluetooth/WiFi running around the cockpit, but that’s Anywhere Map’s alternative to a plug-in external antenna.

Well, anyway, I hope this info helps clarify Quadra’s position in the aviation portable GPS market. For me, since I would like to panel-mount my portable GPS, I would like to see the Haicom’s capability demonstrated with no Quadra or cockpit “hiccups.” Also, I would like to personally check the Quadra’s screen brightness vs. the Aera and AV8OR. Maybe someone on this forum could give us all an “Airshow Report” at the next opportunity (Sun ‘N Fun?).

For the Quadra, by the time you add $200 for the sectional map capability, another $165 for an external GPS signal source, and possibly another $200 delta for the EFB capability ($1,165 total), you start to approach the price of an Aera 510. On the other hand, except for the lack of an RS232 interface (a deal-breaker for those relying on their portable GPS for autopilot guidance and other communications), the Quadra provides strong specifications and an excellent feature set. When you also consider the low cost of the Quadra’s updates, the Quadra appears to come off very well, IF the Haicom really works and the screen brightness is acceptable.

In Summary: I suppose the whole aviation portable GPS marketplace boils down to “Different Strokes For Different Folks!”

My Personal Opinion Only!: IF, and ONLY IF, the Quadra comes through with respect to the Haicom interface and screen brightness, I’ll buy a Quadra. For my requirements, the Quadra has the best feature set, and I really like the low-cost updates. Otherwise, it’s off to Aera or AV8OR land!

Best Regards!

Chino Hills, CA

Last edited:
As a comparison....

For the Quadra, by the time you add $200 for the sectional map capability, another $165 for an external GPS signal source, and possibly another $200 delta for the EFB capability ($1,165 total), you start to approach the price of an Aera 510.

...the Aera does not seem to have actual Sectional maps.

From Garmin - "Its detailed chart-style shaded mapping"

The Anywhere map standard flying map display seems fine.... I haven't tried my new ATC in the plane yet, but the auto mode works fine...:)

A true sectional display (the Anywhere map option) on less than a giant screen may not be effective, since it's a scanned, geo-referenced copy and text size would change as you zoom in and out...:)

You probably don't need that option...:)

Sun 'N Fun Report?

Anywhere Map is on Sun ?N Fun?s Current Exhibitor List, booths A-011 and A-012. Can someone check-out the Quadra and give us an objective report? (. . . Screen brightness; Haicom remote Bluetooth GPS link, software features, etc.) It would be ?above and beyond the call of duty? if you could somehow get an Aera, AV8OR, and Quadra side-by-side in the same, preferably sunny, lighting conditions.

Thanks! (In Advance)

Chino Hills, CA

Sun 'N Fun Report

Just a Reminder/Request: Can anyone attending Sun 'N Fun give us a report on AnywhereMap's Quadra?

Thanks,

I wandered by the CV booth about 11am Saturday. Their booth was closed and dark. Nobody around. Maybe it was break time.

I wandered by the CV booth about 11am Saturday. Their booth was closed and dark. Nobody around. Maybe it was break time.

The Control Vision booth is always closed on Saturday due to religious observance. It is their Sabbath.

Just putting that out there since our booth is across the aisle and I saw the little sign posted on their backdrop.

Thanks

Looks like I sent out my reminder on the wrong day!

Steve, Thanks for looking.

Lucas, Thanks for your explanation.

Any Recent PIREPS on the Anywhere Map Quadra?

New information from actual users would be helpful in making a purchase decision.

Thanks!
John

I have the Anywhere Map "ATC" and have had it almost from the time it came out. It works fine without a external GPS. It does wash out in the sun but so does me 396 although the ATC washes out a little more. I have a sun shade on both of them and it works for me. The 396 drives my AP but I really like the ATC better MUCH easier to get frequencies and other information from the ATC than the 396 (IMHO you may have another point of view). I got the sectional upgrade (MaxNav I think it is called). Not really needed and to be honest not worth it there ?base map? has everything you need. I almost never (actually never) have the MaxNav screen on. I have been keeping an eye on the Quadra as it looks like they have fixed the few things I did not like about the ATC. They say it is planned for it to drive an AP and have traffic. When it has the capacity to drive my AP I will get one and move the 396 over to the right side as a backup. The Anywhere map program is real easy to use and understand. There are tons of options and screens which till you figure out what you like can be a little irritating simply because there are so many choices. I would forget the external GPS unless for some reason the internal one will not work in your installation and don?t waste your money on the Sectional maps. Nice thought but in my opinion not clear enough for the price. I have the lifetime updates Garmin cannot touch the price. Updating is easy with the ATC and should be even more painless with the Quadra. Any those are my thoughts after flying with the ATC for however the heck long it has been available. No regrets.

The Quadra’s screen brightness is 380 nits. I don’t know how this compares with the Aera; my Google search skills must be meager! The AV8OR Horizon 3D has a screen brightness of 300 nits, but I could not find the screen brightness spec for the basic AV8OR. My guess is that the Quadra, Aera, and AV8OR all have about the same screen brightness; equivalent to the typical automobile touch-screen GPS and limited by their portability/battery life.
As a further data point: I compared my Aera to a fellow pilot's AV8OR and the screen brightness is definitely *not* comparable. The AV8OR was noticeably brighter. I have no quantitative measurement, but I would estimate anywhere from 20-40% brighter than the Aera when both were set to their highest settings.

I continue to fly with my Aera, and continue to think that the killer feature of the Aera is the data link between it and my radio. I abhor Garmin's pricing scheme (sorry, I should say "scam") for their updates, and as such mine will get updated at best once a year. It's the only way to keep it affordable. It's harder to read in direct sunlight, but otherwise it's perfect.

Just my 2 cents on this thread. I have been using anywhere map for 5 plus years and had bought the ATC but afterwards found out that it would NEVER be able to support my autopilot. Last month while at Oshkosh they explained that the Quadra would soon be able to use a bluetooth link for my auto pilot. He actually traded my ATC and gave me a resonable price on the Quadra. I am sure that the sectional feature is NOT worth the money (hard to see and not enough contrast) and it is hard to beat AWM update capability for the price not to mention the aboility to update each time before you fly using the wireless. Yes they are not bright enough but that is true of all of the small GPS units. A freind of mine went with the Aera and the screen looks too grainy compared to the Quadra. The processor still seems to lack in speed when you have all of the ground info turned on (cities, streets, lakes, etc.). While it does have some shortcomings it is hard to beat for the price and the most important feature to me is the presents of private airports, we have a lot of them in my area. I plan to upgrade to the weather this fall and am just waiting for some of the bugs to be worked out! and of course my auto pilot output.

Portable Theories of Relativity

Today, I was at Aircraft Spruce West and I noticed they had a new display with the Aera 500, AV8OR, and Quadra side-by-side. One of the ACS techs was setting up the display, so I asked him if I could see a maximum brightness comparison of each unit. He said sure. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the brightest, I would personally judge the relative maximum brightness/contrast levels as follows: Aera: 10, AV8OR: 9, Quadra: 7. The Aera was clearer and easier-to-read than the Quadra despite the Quadra?s higher resolution. The AV8OR was nearly as bright as the Aera and, in my opinion, was the easiest to use of the three. The Quadra definitely needs a shade. The Quadra?s higher resolution might come to the forefront when well-shaded.

As an aside, I ordered a Quadra about ten days ago (my Airmap 500 could no longer be updated), but I cancelled the order when I discovered that the Quadra does not yet talk to an external GPS Bluetooth receiver (I was hoping to panel-mount the unit). Anywhere Map says that a Quadra software change is in the works to provide the GPS external receiver link. The Duo already supports such a link.

A good friend just purchased the Adventure Pilot iFly 700 ($499), and it?s an impressive unit. The brightness is good; I would compare it with the AV8OR in terms of brightness/contrast. The large 7-inch diagonal screen really makes the North-Up Sectional presentation work. If I can figure out a way to squeeze its overall 7.25-inch width into my panel, I might go for it. Unlimited updates, via USB flash drive, are a very reasonable $69 per year (VFR Sectionals) or $89 per year (Sectionals plus IFR Low-Enroute Charts).

Well, anyway, the GPS portable market is getting interesting. Now, if someone would just come up with a 6-inch-diagonal, super-bright, portable GPS with an overall width no greater than 6.25 inches (avionics stack compatible) and a price less than $1K, I think they?d have a winner. Monthly database updates no greater than $100 a year would make it unbeatable.

See Y'All at Van?s Homecoming this weekend?

Bill :)

A good friend just purchased the Adventure Pilot iFly 700 ($499), and it?s an impressive unit. The brightness is good; I would compare it with the AV8OR in terms of brightness/contrast. The large 7-inch diagonal screen really makes the North-Up Sectional presentation work. If I can figure out a way to squeeze its overall 7.25-inch width into my panel, I might go for it. Unlimited updates, via USB flash drive, are a very reasonable $69 per year (VFR Sectionals) or $89 per year (Sectionals plus IFR Low-Enroute Charts).

Well, anyway, the GPS portable market is getting interesting. Now, if someone would just come up with a 6-inch-diagonal, super-bright, portable GPS with an overall width no greater than 6.25 inches (avionics stack compatible) and a price less than $1K, I think they?d have a winner. Monthly database updates no greater than $100 a year would make it unbeatable.

See Y'All at Van?s Homecoming this weekend?

My Airmap 1000 is an orphan and will need replacing at some point so am starting to poke around the portable GPS market. I was unaware of the Adventure Pilot iFly 700 and it does indeed look impressive for the price.

One thing I'm finding is that some of the new GPS's do not provide a NHMEA data output for driving an autopilot. I hope this is not a trend that will eventually cover most of the portable GPS market. I can understand why vendors would eliminate this feature for liability purposes but some of us will never have a panel-mount GPS in our VFR planes.

But, at the rate EFIS feature sets are advancing, needing to drive the autopilot via a standalone GPS may become moot.

On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the brightest, I would personally judge the relative maximum brightness/contrast levels as follows: Aera: 10, AV8OR: 9, Quadra: 7. The Aera was clearer and easier-to-read than the Quadra despite the Quadra?s higher resolution. The AV8OR was nearly as bright as the Aera and, in my opinion, was the easiest to use of the three.
That's interesting, as it is in direct contrast to my own comparison of my Aera to a fellow pilot's AV8OR. Were the three units you were looking at powered by their internal batteries, or from an external power cable? I notice that my Aera doesn't quite get as bright if it's running batteries only (even when set manually to maximum brightness), and that may account for my earlier assessment of it not being as bright as the AV8OR. But even running on ship's power, i'm sorry to say that it's not bright enough to use on a bright day if you've got it mounted high on the panel. I've got it right in front of me, right under the glareshield, and my passengers can't read it *at all* if there's any sun. Cloudy days, no problem.

I don't think this problem is unique to the Aera though... They'd all be bad in direct sunlight. My iCOM A210 also becomes a barren, featureless landscape when the sun shines on the display.

Maybe I need to only go flying on cloudy days? :p I guess i'll get that opportunity this weekend enroute to the homecoming... They're forecasting rain up here on Friday when I wanted to fly down...

Conditions

Hi Rob,

All three units were on external power and set to maximum brightness.

The environmental conditions were inside a relatively bright, fluorescent-lit room with some sunlight coming in through the glass doors (ACS West's Will Call).

I thought about asking the ACS tech to drag the display outside, but I wanted to maintain good relations with ACS West!

I would agree that the comparison, and particularly the absolute brightness, would probably change somewhat in bright sunlight, but I think I got a pretty good idea of the relative brightness and contrast of the displays. I think all three would wash-out more in bright sunlight. A shade of some sort might be a good idea for all three.

It would be nice if aviation portables could be designed to have a super-bright setting when connected to external power, but I assume the portable displays are mainly designed with battery power in mind.

Take Care!

I just came across this thread and thought to post a picture of an ATC turned up full blast in sun. There is debate in the AWM forums about whether the Quadra is as bright as the ATC. At best it is equal.

http://www.screenshots.cc/original/14834/15s15

Aviation Consumer a couple issues ago did a review of the Quadra. Screen brightness was the primary complaint and indeed, in their feature photo in the article the unit is shown being put into a shirt pocket. In the ambient light of that photo you can only tell the unit is turned on. No info on the screen is usable.

For a canopied cockpit the Quadra should be at the bottom of anyone's list. I bought a screenshade for the ATC which allows me to see it in most conditions - although not that easily. With the sun directly behind, it's still impossible.

I just came across this thread and thought to post a picture of an ATC turned up full blast in sun. There is debate in the AWM forums about whether the Quadra is as bright as the ATC. At best it is equal.

http://www.screenshots.cc/original/14834/15s15

Aviation Consumer a couple issues ago did a review of the Quadra. Screen brightness was the primary complaint and indeed, in their feature photo in the article the unit is shown being put into a shirt pocket. In the ambient light of that photo you can only tell the unit is turned on. No info on the screen is usable.

For a canopied cockpit the Quadra should be at the bottom of anyone's list. I bought a screenshade for the ATC which allows me to see it in most conditions - although not that easily. With the sun directly behind, it's still impossible.

Unfortunately, none of the color LCD GPS's are great in direct sunlight. I've owned a couple of different units (Lowrance and Bendix) and have taken a hard look at most everything else (AnywhereMap and Garmin).

The old greyscale screens were much more readable in our cockpits, only they simply couldn't convey the information a color screen could (if you could see it).

Unfortunately, none of the color LCD GPS's are great in direct sunlight. I've owned a couple of different units (Lowrance and Bendix) and have taken a hard look at most everything else (AnywhereMap and Garmin).

The old greyscale screens were much more readable in our cockpits, only they simply couldn't convey the information a color screen could (if you could see it).

My observations are quite different, since I do use the Garmin 696 (nearly two years). The 696 has never been hard to see, in all sunlight conditions. It's been great, while my Lowrance 600c & Icom 210 are nearly washed out at certain sun angles. I also owned the grey-scale Garmin 195, but it's been too long ago to remember.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

My observations are quite different, since I do use the Garmin 696 (nearly two years). The 696 has never been hard to see, in all sunlight conditions. It's been great, while my Lowrance 600c & Icom 210 are nearly washed out at certain sun angles. I also owned the grey-scale Garmin 195, but it's been too long ago to remember.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

I should qualify my statement. I've never looked at a 696 - I don't want something that big. But I have looked at the Aera products, which were disappointing from a screen brightness and contrast perspective.

I've heard the 696 is really the only portable that is sunlight readable. The others make their claims with varying degrees of truth. The Quadra is at the bottom I think when it comes to this question.

I've also heard the 696 has a propensity to dim itself down when it gets warm. How common is that?

Back