What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Build your Own Oxygen Setup?

I faced this a couple of years ago as well. I was going to purchase the Aero-ox system. A fellow RV'r showed me his set up purchased off of Ebay. I got a new D bottle, medical regulator and a 10 pack of cannulas. Total cost $103 (including the shipping). I later added a mustache type breather for $20.

A couple of things, 1) This is not as fancy as the Aero ox or others, but who cares? You may have to buy a T fitting if you have passenger and plug it when not in use. No big deal.

2) Regarding medical vs. welding, one of my neighbors is a doctor and Flight Surgeon. He said if you were breathing welding O2 for many hours every day you might experience some nasal dryness, but for GA use, the welding stuff is fine. I've used it for up to 5 hours in one day without issue.

3) Filling the tanks. The best is the cascading system to get a complete fill but a welding tank will get you enough. Another method is to check with your local fire department. Everybody knows somebody in public safety. In many cases they will fill your tank for training purposes.

4) I use an Oximeter to track O2 blood levels and the Ebay system works just as well as the high dollar units.

There simply is no reason to spend $500+ on an oxygen system that you can get for $100 or so on Ebay. Use the savings for fuel.

Hi Darwin. I did the same thing, but added a Pulse Oximeter to system so that I can cross-check appropriate flow rates.

One thing you may want to consider is installing O2 jacks somewhere. They self-seal when unplugged, so you don't have to muck with swapping tees. I got mine at McMaster Carr. My little sloped panels for headphone jacks had enough room to install them.

Vern

Oxygen setup

Hi Fellas,
Been using a Medical setup with welding O2. Doc says, no problem. At the altitudes we generally fly at, frozen regulators are not an issue. Use a finger pulse/oxymeter to check blood oxygen saturation. The nice thing about medical O2 is the welding supply place will just exchange your bottle. They charge me 17.00 and deliver on top of it! Get a spare bottle if you are worried about running out en route.
Total cost 2 bottles, nose pieces, demand regulator, pulse oxymeter: $385.00

Oxy-DIY-zers

Get it, DIY? Oh well, maybe its too early yet.

Anybody know whether medical cylinders with toggle valves like this are usable in our application?

Are the threads on medical cyclinders and aviators breathing cylinders identical (on the actual cylinder itself, not the valve outlet) in case I need to swap valves to something else?

Has anybody fit a size E tank in an RV-7? (I got a freebie but with no cylinder valve - just a threaded hole). I was looking around last night and couldn't find too many available locations. Was thinking immediately aft of the baggage compartment but concerned about CG. I do have a heavy engine and heavy CS prop so maybe its OK. Other option is just below the subpanel. Realistically though a size D may be the largest practical cylinder that will fit reasonably well.

Who hydrotests oxy cylinders?

Thanks!

Noah, that bottle is designed to use a pressure regulator/flow meter that mounts to the bottle.

I suspect you could fab up something with it, but be aware that you are getting full pressure out of the valve. It is enough to hurt you.

You can check the yellow pages for a fire extinguisher service business locate near you. They will either hydrotest in house, or know where to send them.

Welding supply...

You can check the yellow pages for a fire extinguisher service business locate near you. They will either hydrotest in house, or know where to send them.

Also try your local welding supply store....

I use the 'E' cylinder all the time. I put it behind the two seats horizontally across the back of them where they rest against the support. The bottle nests quite well against the seat back brace. I tie it there with the regulator just behind the passengers right side. It is easy to reach from there and if you use the regulator with the click stops, just count the number of clicks to get the right flow. Hope this helps you. It keeps the CG forward of the baggage area.

Here's the tank mount I did based on Norm's medical ox setup.

Easy to reach over and adjust the flow.

IMG_0213.jpg

Low cost light weight O2 System

After reading these posts and collecting some O2 gear on Epay, I assembled two systems using B medical bottles and Precision regulators, Model 168708D.
These flow .25 to 8 LPM and are the lightest medical post regulators I could find. I got two nasal cannulas. The wife and I used these for a 2 hour flight @ 9500 ft (and return 2 days later). They work flawlessly and I felt better than previous trips without O2.
These regulators have a gauge that shows bottle pressure, and have an easy to turn barrel body that is graduated by flow rate. They have a single outlet that fits the standard hose end found on the CHAD Oxymizer nasal cannula.
One bottle has the toggle valve on the top, and I would reccomend you get that one. My other bottle requires a 1/4" wrench, a PITA you don't need if you want to open the valve while in flight.
This is the simplest possible system, and redundant (two separate systems).
I got the parts at very low cost, one of the regulators cost 99 cents!
The wife is a CFII and works out daily. she didn't want to use the system initially because we didn't plan to exceed 9500 ft, but she put it on as we passed thru 8500, and later decided it was a good idea.
Other systems with larger or single bottles may suit your needs etc. I'm just reporting on one possible way that was very inexpensive, yet worked like a charm for me. It changed my attitude about supplimental oxygen; thanks guys.

"D" or "E" O2 Cylinder for -9A Slider

Will the "E" size fit behind the flap housing? Is the "D" big enough if using Oxysaver cannulas?

Enquiring minds want to know........ Thanks.

Lay the E or what ever size bottle you use horizontally across the seat back braces. The bottle fit very there. Put the regulator on the right side of the plane and you can reach it real well from the drivers chair. Tie it down with straps thru the lightening holes and around the cross brace. It is not in the way of getting junk out of the back baggage area lying there and it keeps the weight further forward than anywhere else in the baggage area.

Hydro Testing O2 cylinders

[QUOTEsnipped
Who hydrotests oxy cylinders?
Thanks![/QUOTE]

Noah,
If you live in an area where suba diving is popular, the shops who test suba tanks can do it.
Charlie Kuss

So this may be a dumb question:

I assume that the medical tanks are built to such a spec that the relatively lower pressure at (say) 20,000 has no appreciable effect on the integrity of the tank?

I too want to build O2 jacks into the plane so that I can just "plug it in". I'm thinking of using the quick-disconnect style jacks for the O2 lines, and mechanical valves just as a "backup" shutoff.

What I'm trying to figure out is: where do I put the tank (in a -9). I've seen the behind the seat photos, but that seems a little exposed to me. Maybe fabricate a housing for the tank(s)? Alternatively, Possibly lay it on the baggage compartment floor and raise the apparent floor?

This would give me more room for computers, etc which could also go in that bay.

Any thoughts are appreciated,

~ Christopher

Hello Christopher-

The lower pressure at 20,000 ft will have no effect on the tank. Sea level pressure is 14.7 psia, at 20,000 ft it is around 7 psia. So if your bottle is at 1800 psig on the ground, it will be at 1807 psig at 20,000 ft. No issue. ;)

Hello Christopher-

The lower pressure at 20,000 ft will have no effect on the tank. Sea level pressure is 14.7 psia, at 20,000 ft it is around 7 psia. So if your bottle is at 1800 psig on the ground, it will be at 1807 psig at 20,000 ft. No issue. ;)

Good point. I guess I was thinking more about the ~50% difference than about the absolute magnitude of that difference, now all I need is a cockpit to put it into.

(sigh) Back to the salt mines.

~ Christopher

After reading this and a few other posts, I'm going to try to roll my own oxygen system for my RV-8. Any feedback on things I'm missing?

Here's the gist:
New D size tank from ebay $50
High purity tygon tubing $1.58 per foot--$16
Precision Medical regulator--ballpark $20 on ebay

Permanently mounted in the airplane running down the right side of the cockpit ($110 from McMaster.com):
- Quick connect plug mounted in bulkhead facing baggage area--the quick connect socket will be attached with some tubing to the regulator so I can easily remove the tank
- Quick connect sockets with shutoff valves installed in the front and back with matching plugs on the cannulas

Oximizer cannulas $27 ea from ChiefAircraft.com
with Aerox flowmeters $35 aerox.com.

Ballpark price $300 with (hopefully) a tidy permanent installation of the lines and and easy way put the tank in and out.

Tygon caution....

After reading this and a few other posts, I'm going to try to roll my own oxygen system for my RV-8. Any feedback on things I'm missing?

Here's the gist:
New D size tank from ebay $50
High purity tygon tubing $1.58 per foot--$16
Precision Medical regulator--ballpark $20 on ebay

Permanently mounted in the airplane running down the right side of the cockpit ($110 from McMaster.com):
- Quick connect plug mounted in bulkhead facing baggage area--the quick connect socket will be attached with some tubing to the regulator so I can easily remove the tank
- Quick connect sockets with shutoff valves installed in the front and back with matching plugs on the cannulas

Oximizer cannulas $27 ea from ChiefAircraft.com
with Aerox flowmeters $35 aerox.com.

Ballpark price $300 with (hopefully) a tidy permanent installation of the lines and and easy way put the tank in and out.

Not sure of the exact tube routing you are contemplating, but be careful if your sytem can leave oxygen in the Tygon tubing with the pressure regulator ON and a mask/cannula disconnected.

I had a similar setup in my sailplane, and discovered a length of Tygon had become an egg after a day in the heat...:eek:... even though the pressure regulator has a low pressure output

You need an ON/OFF arrangement at the tank if your are completely Tygon tube based, or use some copper lines from the regulator to the quick disconnect fitting... not really a big deal.

If you have the regulator mounted on the tank, then that is also the location of the high pressure guage which indicates how full the tank is. This guage should be visible by the pilot.

I am thinking that I may run copper tubing to the QD ports (which I plan to mount by the headset jacks), and then avoid altogether messing about with tubing.

On the other hand, then I need to bend, fit and solder the copper.

Do they make any braid wrapped O2 cables (kind of like some of the toilet tank ones?).

~ Christopher

Do they make any braid wrapped O2 cables

Yes, there are high pressure hoses - see Post number 37 in this thread from Kahuna for a picture. There are COTS pigtails available online. Try googling "oxygen pigtail" or "Oxygen high pressure hose".

However, I would not run high pressure O2 lines in an airplane, as there is no need. Put a regulator on the tank to take the pressure down and run low pressure tubing - much safer, lighter, and simpler too.

There are a few different low pressure Tygon tubes suitable for air on www.mcmaster.com. In one of the threads above it recommended part #5554K11 which is laboratory clear tubing with a durometer rating of 55A (soft) and a tensile strength of 1650 psi--78 cents a foot. I chose part # 5466K12 which has the same characteristics but a durometer rating of 71a (firm) and a tensile strength of 2,000 psi. I guess I'll see if it has problems--if so, I'm only about $10 for the tubing. There is one more tube, part #5549K31, that has a durometer of 82A and a tensile strength of 6,050 psi for 58 cents--less supple but the bend radius should still be okay. There aren't any reinforced tygon lines suitable for air that are this small.

Medical O2 fill

You gents with the medical O2 setups - did you need a prescription to get the bottle filled? My first calls here are saying I would need a script to get a "D" medical bottle filled.

Should I be going to a welding supply to the get the bottle filled? Thanks

Pete, get one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350093427120

and then tell them to fill "aviation" (or welding) O2 instead of Medical.. since you do need a prescription for medical O2..

The place I went to wouldn't fill the bottle without that adapter.. they gave me some lame excuse how they absolutely cannot fill from "medical line" w/o prescription.. and "aviation line" is separate and it's a different adapter... but bring your own D bottle and adapter and they'll fill from aviation line no prob.. !!

Installation of O2 System

Does anyone have plans/design for an 02 installation for a -7 or -9?

I am building and RV-9A, working on the fuselage. At some point, I want to install an 02 system. In my glider, I have a aluminum bottle behind the main spare with with the a quick release valve for an EDS regulator, a guage and a check valve/quick fill mounted mounted to the bulkhead on the left and right side of the seat.

For the RV I am thinking of mounting a tank along the F-705 on the baggage floor behind the seat with the a quick release valve for an EDS regulator, a guage and a check valve/quick fill mounted somewhere on the top bar of the the F-705.

Thoughts?

So, to revisit this thread a bit... I am planning to build my own system but am wondering about the regulator part. Can one use a single-outlet regulator and then "T" off of this for two cannulas? I would presume that this would require flows twice the normal rate for a single person, correct?

Also, any good or bad experiences with various regulators? There seem to be abundant relatively cheap regulators (around $20-30) of various brands out there.

Thanks,
greg

So, to revisit this thread a bit... I am planning to build my own system but am wondering about the regulator part. Can one use a single-outlet regulator and then "T" off of this for two cannulas? I would presume that this would require flows twice the normal rate for a single person, correct?

Also, any good or bad experiences with various regulators? There seem to be abundant relatively cheap regulators (around $20-30) of various brands out there.

Thanks,
greg

Yes, this is correct Greg, but the flow to each cannula is dependent on the flow resistance in each leg of the tee, so keep the lengths and configurations identical for each leg. My setup is the same way. I'd also recommend using a pulse oximeter to periodically check O2 saturation, they are cheap insurance.

There is lots of talk about O2 plumbing going on here. All of this plumbing needs to be oil free. Oil in the presence of pure O2 can easily spontaneously combust and just about everything burns in the presence of pure O2. This is especially high risk with the high pressure stuff.

I would recommend a portable system. Most trips are short and don't justify O2 so no sense hauling it all the time.

Also, I fly lots of warbirds with built in systems, and nearly all of the aircraft systems leak. If you forget to shut off the main valve the tank will be empty when you need it. To be fair, all those airplanes have diluter demand systems and lots of the leaks are in the regulators.

FWIW, I use portable bottles in spam cans. I have a big welder bottle in the hangar and I can get lots of fills out of it. When the hangar bottle gets down to 1000psi I take it back for a refill. I have a 22 cu ft bottle and at 1000 psi it will last a long time flying solo with an oximizer canula.

Tailwinds,
Doug Rozendaal

??????

Gang, after reading this thread, my head is spinning...course sometimes this is not a new thing;)

Is this ebay link a good starting point, how about he regulator?

http://tinyurl.com/djpqk8

Kinda a statement and question here, I just make a T that I could plug in for two person use but for single use, I just unplug the T and plug in a single line.

I could have got above a scattered layer at 10,500 if I could have gone on up while on the way back form SNF.

Last edited:
Yes thats a fine place to start.
Yes you can Tee it for multi passenger use. Cap when not in use. Thats what I do.
You wont use the mask since there is no mic in it.
With that, and flapper valve canula, your in business.

pediatric regulator

Dana,

Only change might be to substitute a pediatric regulator - it allows lower flow rates and finer control to stretch the O2 even further. I use a pulse oximeter to let me know when I have the flow correct.

Last edited:
Dana,

Only change might be to substitute a pediatric regulator - it allows lower flow rates and finer control to stretch the O2 even further. I use a pulse oximeter to let me know when I have the flow correct.

Good point Pete. Is my math correct here. The charts list 7.4 hours endurance at 15K on a 425 liter tank. My rough math says the flow would have to be .9 lpm, at 18K the endurance is 5.1 hours or 306 minutes which would require a flow of 1.38 lpm. Am I missing anything in my calculations?

Are the medical regulators...

Dana,

...altitude compensated? I bet they were not designed to work at the equivalent of the peak on Mt. Whitney....:)

The better aircraft ones supply a higher flow rate and use a needle valve at the flow meters to set the actual delivery to the user.

If you have this system, then a "T" can be used to supply each user if they have a needle valve in each line.

The left hand unit below...

nelson_aerox_flow_meter.gif

Dana, skip the math....:)

Set the regulator to the highest flow rate and use the adustable flow meter above - then you will know exactly what you are getting.

Last edited:
While the flow meters are helpful, with your home use push on connectors as found with the sytem you selected, restricted flow with the needle valve builds up load pressure on the lines and blows em off.
I find that the use of flow meter works if left wide open, and use the regulator you saw on the listing to control flow, let the little floating ball tell you how much you have going referenced to an altitude number. Then the pulse ox for the cross reference.
Little flowing ball is a nice visual cue you are working as desired.

OK...

While the flow meters are helpful, with your home use push on connectors as found with the sytem you selected, restricted flow with the needle valve builds up load pressure on the lines and blows em off.

...but why not use good Tygon tubing rated for oxygen and better fittings?

I know they don't blow off in 110 F temperatures in my sailplane with my old Nelson regulator.

If pressure builds up as you say, doesn't that imply that the regulator is not really working? A true regulator will will limit the max. pressure to it's output setting.

Does anyone really know what specifications these medical regualtor devices are really designed to?

Personally, I would prefer to stick to the aviation stuff when it goes into my lungs at altitudes higher than people live...:)

...but why not use good Tygon tubing rated for oxygen and better fittings?

I know they don't blow off in 110 F temperatures in my sailplane with my old Nelson regulator.

If pressure builds up as you say, doesn't that imply that the regulator is not really working? A true regulator will will limit the max. pressure to it's output setting.

Does anyone really know what specifications these medical regualtor devices are really designed to?

Personally, I would prefer to stick to the aviation stuff when it goes into my lungs at altitudes higher than people live...:)

1. Fittings more expensive, not needed.
2. True regulator? There are all kinds of gas regulators. For medical use, they are flow not pressure. Works just fine.
3. Im sure lots of people know what the exact specs are and exactly what they are designed to do. Given liability issues Im sure its no secret. I never cared enough to look. Dont know or care to know what Im looking for in an oxygen regulator.
4. Personally, I dont care to use aviation stuff all the time. Turn on gas, gas flows, ball flows up to some value, stick in nose, go fly. At 10 cents on the dollar for the medical stuff vs aviation ox items, I prefer to keep the money.

Just completed a DIY O2 set up in my slider -6

After reading through this post, and after watching Greg Aerhart put together a nifty semi-permanent O2 install in his RV-9 Tip-up, I worked with Greg to put together a semi-permanent O2 system in my RV-6 Slider.

Pictures below, but here is what we put together (and thanks for the help Greg!...you're up next for pix!)

"D" O2 bottle and regulator: $50 on ebay
Hydrostatic test on bottle: $25 at local fire ext shop
Bottle mounting bracket and hose clamps: $25 on ebay
Flowmeter 1: $20 bought here in VAF class. by Dan (guccidude1) for me...thanks!
Flowmeter 2: $65 from Mt. High Aviation Oxygen
2 quick disconnect female bulkhead fittings: $30 Mt. High
2 quick disconnect male fittings for cannula hose-ends: $8 Mt. High
15' of Tygon tubing: $15 Mt. High
2 Oxymizer cannulas: $50 at a local shop (Mt. High has 'em, same price)
1 "T" fitting for tubing: $5 from a local hose/fitting store

$293 in parts, along with fabbing up brackets for the flowmeters and bulkhead fittings, as well as a cover for the O2 bottle, all out of scrap AL on hand. Eric at Mt. High http://www.mountainhighoxygen.com/ was very knowledgable and helpful when I called to purchase the needed parts! Here's how it came together (just one possible solution, of course!):

Here's the bracket for the bottle installed on the right side of the baggage compartment. Placement was set aft enough to ensure plenty of clearance between the nyloks on the back of the panel and the flap actuator. I'd post the ebay link, but would recommend saving the $$ and making this piece from .125 AL (I traced it and have the dimensions if anyone wants them...or the ebay link, just lemme know). Velcro is for the side panel covers and the bottle cover (shown in later pix):

o21abottlebracketviewsm.jpg

Bottle installed (old side panel velcro was removed after pic shot):

o21bottleviewsm.jpg

Closer view of the bottle, regulator and "T". The tubing runs along the seat-back support to each side, then through a grommet to run forward between the arm-rest and panel insert on each side:

o22regulatortviewsm.jpg

After running forward up the arm-rest, the tubing goes into the bottom of the flowmeter, out of the top, then up and under along the canopy rail. At the back of the rail the tube makes a 180 to connect to the quick-disconnect bulhead fitting. Placement of the QD was set to allow the 180 without kinking the hose, while allowing it to hide a bit behind the seat, yet allow for easy one-handed insertion or removal of the cannula connector:

o23rightsideviewnoseats.jpg

Here's the left side with the seat installed:

o24leftsideviewwseatsm.jpg

Cannula inserted (easily slides in when seated by reaching under the outside arm):

o24acannulaviewsm.jpg

Removal of the cannula is a snap...push up on the release and the male fitting and hose pops out into hand:

o24bbulkeadfittingrelea.jpg

Here's a pic of the back of the bottle cover I made, just to make the final install look a little less industrial...perhaps a bit overkill, but kinda fun, using scrap and a "high-tech" workmate and plywood "break" to do the bending. Covered it with some left-over material from the side panels:

o26coverbackviewsm.jpg

Here's the cover installed and the side panels back in:

o27coverinstalledviewsm.jpg

Last pic, with some gear in the back. Go-bag tool kit fits in front of it, and the regulator is an easy reach in-flight. Cannulas and pulse-ox meter fit in a little stuff-bag (not shown) that tucks nicely between the bottle cover and side-wall recess:

o28finalinstalledviewsm.jpg

Kind of a fun little project. Desired result was a lightweight (came in at 8.5 pounds total), no-hassle system in which the flowmeters are out of the way but visible, cannulas are easy to insert and remove (and the cannula tubing stays out of the way behind the shoulders), and the regulator is easy to manipulate.

Great info in this thread, and Gil, good info on trapped O2 expansion in the tubing while sitting in the heat. Since the bulkhead fittings do have an internal shutoff valve, the planned procedure will be to turn off the regulator at lower altitudes in the descent, and "breath" the lines empty (till the ball stops floating).

Thanks again to Greg and Dan for the help and ideas!!

Cheers,
Bob

I love those quick disconnects.
Well Done. Thanks for the pics.
What happens when there is nothing in the quick disconnects. DOes it block or shut off that line, or is it still an opening?

I love those quick disconnects.
Well Done. Thanks for the pics.
What happens when there is nothing in the quick disconnects. DOes it block or shut off that line, or is it still an opening?

Thanks Mike,

The QD bulkhead fittings are available with or without a check valve. $15 ea with, and $12 ea without. On the Mt. High site they are under built-in systems, here:

http://www.mountainhighoxygen.com/index.phtml?nav_id=28&product_id=404

They make a similar QD (with check valve for $10) in nickel plated brass, but those are 1/8" NPT on the back, versus the barbed fitting on the plastic ones.

I went with the check valves, just in case I forget to shut off the regulator. Hopefully I will always "breath the lines dry" during descent to prevent the tubing "easter eggs" Gil mentioned.

These bulkhead fittings would make for a great panel or sub-panel mount option too. I probably would have mounted them sticking out of the side rail if there was enough room in there to make the tube connection behind it, but there wasn't.

Also received a request for the dimensions on the bottle bracket, so here's a quick drawing, as measured from the one I purchased. Anything close would likely work just fine. (Coming at ya via e-mail Charlie.)

o2bottlebracket1.jpg

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
Bob, good write up, great addition to a great aircraft.

Thanks.

Thanks Mike...probably won't need it for a quick hop over the hill to visit you (gotta do that soon!), but good for getting up there for a X-C and catching some good tailwinds (now that it's not so freeeezing up there!) :)

Cheers,
Bob

RV7Guy;213176. 3) Filling the tanks. Another method is to check with your local fire department. Everybody knows somebody in public safety. In many cases they will fill your tank for training purposes. [/QUOTE said:
This is not good. Fire departments use compressed air. See page 5, post 45..... "accident - compressed air"

This is not good. Fire departments use compressed air. See page 5, post 45..... "accident - compressed air"

Not exactly so, at least in the dept I worked in.

While we did use compressed air ------filtered, de humidified etc----for our SCBA units, it was never used in oxygen bottles.

We had O2 for filling our medical oxygen bottles.

Even the fittings on the bottles are different, it would take a custom made adapter to put air into an O2 bottle.

It certainly wont hurt to ask at your local FD, worst that can happen is you get told no.

Thanks to the wealth of information on the subject that I've read (and re-read) on these forums, I've got all of my questions pretty much answered. Now it's down to deciding whether I want a long, skinny aluminum 24 cu. ft. tank or the shorter and fatter 22 cu ft. tank. The long skinny tanks can be found very cheaply since they are used for medical purposes and when those people die their relatives sell the tanks for $50 or so, some hardly used.

My question is: Are the regulators that come on those medical tanks (which look exactly the same as the $400-500 Sky Ox tanks) okay for single pilot operations? My plane is single place and I don't need the extra outlets. I'm thinking I would just add a flowmeter and use an Oximizer pendant cannula.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Mike

My question is: Are the regulators that come on those medical tanks (which look exactly the same as the $400-500 Sky Ox tanks) okay for single pilot operations? My plane is single place and I don't need the extra outlets. I'm thinking I would just add a flowmeter and use an Oximizer pendant cannula.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Mike

Yes........

Thanks for the confirmation.

Looking at the prices for turnkey kits sold by Aerox, Sky Ox & others, I sure don't know why someone would spend five or six hundred dollars when they can do the whole thing for $100 or so. It makes me wonder "what am I not understanding here?"

Mike

But you're not getting an "aviation" unit for $100 :)

"Aer" or "Sky" in front of Ox simply denotes a multiplier that is to be used when determining the price :) Just like anything else that has anything to do with aviation...

Thanks for the confirmation.

Looking at the prices for turnkey kits sold by Aerox, Sky Ox & others, I sure don't know why someone would spend five or six hundred dollars when they can do the whole thing for $100 or so. It makes me wonder "what am I not understanding here?"

Mike

Looking further than eBay and Craigslist, direct from a supplier of medical oxygen equipment, I'm finding prices of brand new oxygen bottles of 24 cubic feet and smaller (and larger) to cost around $50. Regulators, also brand new, even less.

Unless I'm missing something here, the difference in price between products of the same quality and capacity (medical vs aviation use) is quite incredible.

This company

http://www.cramerdeckermedical.com/category.php?category_id=2

appears to be a source of the bottles and regulators sold by the re-sellers that repackage them for aviation use, adding several hundred dollars in the process. It appears that the observation

> "Aer" or "Sky" in front of Ox simply denotes a multiplier that is to be used when determining the price."

is exactly correct.

Unless . . . like I said . . . I'm missing something here. I still can't believe it.

And it appears it's not just the aviation oxygen re-sellers that are doing this. The above company provides bottles and regulators for the scuba industry as well. And for many other specialty applications - mountain climbing for instance. I'm sure the dive shops and specialty shops are doing the same thing as Aerox and Sky Ox, etc.

Mike

The bottles may be the same...

Looking further than eBay and Craigslist, direct from a supplier of medical oxygen equipment, I'm finding prices of brand new oxygen bottles of 24 cubic feet and smaller (and larger) to cost around $50. Regulators, also brand new, even less.

Unless I'm missing something here, the difference in price between products of the same quality and capacity (medical vs aviation use) is quite incredible.

Mike

...but will the regulators work correctly at high altitudes?

The earth-bound regulators may use atmospheric pressure as a reference.

This one is only rated to 10,000 ft.

http://www.precisionmedical.com/downloads/brochures/504302.pdf

Last edited:
Ah ha . . . I knew something had to be fishy.

That's a very nice regulator . . . it (and there are some others too) does pneumatically what the EDS device does electronically (the one Deakin talks about in his article). Tomorrow I'll get on this trail and look into this question about possible altitude limitations of medical regulators.

Back