What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prince props??

About 55 hours on one now in an RV-9. It came with the engine (bought used) so didn't really choose it. Seems to be a very good match for the airframe and engine. Like it. Thumbs up.

Prince Props

I?m running a Prince prop on my RV-4 and really like it. We?ve done some extremely unscientific side-by-side comparisons in formation with an equally equipped RV-4 with a FP Sensenich metal prop and there seems to be very little performance differences between the two. The Prince is definitely smoother than the metal prop.

I would certainly buy another one. Lonnie Prince has been a great guy to deal with too !!

Dave

I have had a prince prop for a few years. Very smooth and had no problems except that rain erodes the leading edge. I just can not pull the throttle back when I run through some rain. I do have leading edge protectors on it. I sent it back in to Lonnie and he replaced the leading edge protectors, and repainted the prop and it looks like new again. I have since converted to constant speed prop which has increased my climb but the top end speed is the same. I have the propeller for sale if interested. It is for a 360 lycoming. New price $2000. I just paid $500 last summer for the re-condition. I'll sell it for $1000.

I have had a prince prop for a few years. Very smooth and had no problems except that rain erodes the leading edge. I just can not pull the throttle back when I run through some rain. I do have leading edge protectors on it. I sent it back in to Lonnie and he replaced the leading edge protectors, and repainted the prop and it looks like new again. I have since converted to constant speed prop which has increased my climb but the top end speed is the same. I have the propeller for sale if interested. It is for a 360 lycoming. New price $2000. I just paid $500 last summer for the re-condition. I'll sell it for $1000.

Good deal, but it's for a Lyc 0-235 in a -9.

Jeff, what motor is in yours?

I run a prince on a rv-6 very happy with it & prince is great to deal with.

I had the same experience. Loved the prop (and the way the black carbon version looked) but, at least at that time, they did not have nickel leading edges available and heavy rain would abrade their "edge protector." They will re-finish for a modest charge if you don't wait until it gets bad, but until they start using a metal leading edge protector I would classify it as a VFR-only prop.

> "but until they start using a metal leading edge protector I would classify it as a VFR-only prop."

I'll second that. Very light rain trashed the outside leading edges of my Prince recently. I've run through similar rain with a Sterba with the urethane leading edge protection with no damage. Prince needs to do some better leading edge protection engineering - it's actually a manufacturing defect if you pay extra for leading edge protection and then ruin your edges with light rain . . . and then get charged to fix it on top of it all. Lonnie is a nice guy, but that's plain bad business.

Prince Prop

I have a Prince "P-Tip" on my O-360 RV-6A. I recently had occasion to put an 85" Sensenich on my RV and test it against my Prince. The Prince is rated as an 80" pitch as opposed to an 85" pitch for the Sensenich. Long and short of it is that @ 2450RPM and 7500' DA the Prince was 1 MPH faster (and smoother) than the Sensenich! The Sensenich did seem to have more torque than the Prince (probably becauce of the weight) but the Prince was more responsive and climbed better than the Sensenich. Conclusion......... I'll stick w/ the Prince!

Tommy Walker
RV-6A, N 350 TW
470 Hrs &"Climbing!

Water Soluble

> "but until they start using a metal leading edge protector I would classify it as a VFR-only prop."

I'll second that. Very light rain trashed the outside leading edges of my Prince recently. I've run through similar rain with a Sterba with the urethane leading edge protection with no damage. Prince needs to do some better leading edge protection engineering - it's actually a manufacturing defect if you pay extra for leading edge protection and then ruin your edges with light rain . . . and then get charged to fix it on top of it all. Lonnie is a nice guy, but that's plain bad business.

I love my P-Tip but it is water soluble. In fact it is at Prince right now getting redone. Lonnie said he is installing a new and improved leading edge protector. We will see. I never had that problem with either a Sterba or Performance props but then again they didn't have the T/O power of the P-Tip either. I guess everything is a comprimise.

Confused

...The Sensenich did seem to have more torque than the Prince (probably becauce of the weight) but the Prince was more responsive...
Maybe more responsive means that RPM changes more quickly due to less rotating mass, I can't figure out what the "more torque" means, at all.

Prince Prop

Maybe more responsive means that RPM changes more quickly due to less rotating mass, I can't figure out what the "more torque" means, at all.

"More torque" (when it comes to the Sensenich prop) means that RPM changes more slowly, due to more rotating mass!

Thanks for asking!
Tommy Walker

Never seen...

a Prince 3 blade prop. Anyone else?? Have seen a few 2 bladers on Sonex, and a couple of RV's. Met a guy with a Smith Super Cub (BIG HP monster...) that told me it was the ONLY prop that ever worked good on his plane. Looked odd screwed to the front of that big tall Cub. It was beat up so bad it scared me, but the old timer was unconcerned. "It'll look a lot worse than that after I get back from Alaska..."
Never heard a bad thing about them.

Regards,
Chris

I love my P-Tip but it is water soluble. In fact it is at Prince right now getting redone. Lonnie said he is installing a new and improved leading edge protector. We will see. I never had that problem with either a Sterba or Performance props but then again they didn't have the T/O power of the P-Tip either. I guess everything is a comprimise.

My Sterba turns faster than the Prince since it has less pitch. That means it is hitting the rain harder and still I never have noticed damage to the urethane leading edge protection that came with it. It took very little rain to dissolve the outside leading edges of the Prince. Lonnie has told me also that he has improved the leading edge material. We'll see. I could buy a new Sterba for what it's costing me to get the repair done.

But then I'd just have a Sterba. I have been very pleased with the performance of the Prince, until I ran into the rain recently back East.

Go for it

I have a drop tip carbon fiber overly that was cut foran IO-360-m1b clone, making about 194-5 bhp. It was made for best fuel and speed numbers up at from 8 to 14,000 msl. I only have one bad proplem with it! It looks so good just setting there stoped on the nose, I keep taking it off and wanting to hang it on the wall at home to look at when I get home. Realy, not cheep, but good props and nice people to deal with, Oh did I say thay look graet too???

As long as you don't run into any rain, your nice looking Prince should stay that way. It would be safer however to hang it on the wall if you value its appearance over functionality.

I have my refurbished ($327 to repair a manufacturing defect) Prince still in the box and hesitate to take it out. It really is more valuable as a decorative item than as a functional propeller.

Lonnie is up to his ears with government contracts building disposable UAV props and could care less about his general aviation customers . . . though he is a heck of a nice guy.

Back