What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Painting your Prop?

I have a MT cs three blade prop. Plane is currently at Cascade paint shop in Bend , OR. John Stahr, the air brush artist is going to do some finishing touches. The prop is currently white with red tips. Plane is going to be a graduated blue to black. I would like to paint the prop blue. Was told that painting it would make your warranty void.
I called MT props today and they confirmed that it would void your warranty. However the warranty is only for one year and it expires in 2017. When pressed, he said that the prop is very sensitive to balance and discouraged it.
Question...has anyone painted their MT prop? Any issues post paint with balance?

Not an MT but...

My -10 has an Aero Composites prop and it was painted by the builder. When I had it overhauled at American Propeller in Redding, CA, they removed the paint and repainted it. One of the services they offered was their "Designer Prop" in which they would custom paint your prop. I don't see that service offered on their web site today, but all of the props I have owned have been painted.

-Marc

My new prop Whirlwind

Was painted by factory... they offered, I accepted vs standard black. I say paint away ( less warranty concerns) , then have it dynamically balanced.

Prop me up

I have a MT cs three blade prop. Plane is currently at Cascade paint shop in Bend , OR. John Stahr, the air brush artist is going to do some finishing touches. The prop is currently white with red tips. Plane is going to be a graduated blue to black. I would like to paint the prop blue. Was told that painting it would make your warranty void.
I called MT props today and they confirmed that it would void your warranty. However the warranty is only for one year and it expires in 2017. When pressed, he said that the prop is very sensitive to balance and discouraged it.
Question...has anyone painted their MT prop? Any issues post paint with balance?

Jeff,
I had three different MT fixed pitch props on my RV4 and 6 X-Ray. I ordered them gray/red and black/red and never touched them other than torque checks. MT paint is fairly resilient to rain I found, also scratches buff out fairly easy. MT paints them as part of their recondition/inspection/warranty work.
Why mess with it?
Go fly!
:)
V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
AFAIK today’s date is March, 11th of 2021... so much about your warranty.
My 3 blade MT was factory painted yellow, and I would not want it any other way.

Personal advice, have it painted whatever color you so desire, then have it dynamically balanced, no big deal :cool:

I have a Hartsell metal prop that was recently refurbished and painted. Looked great. I then flew IFR through tops of some ice clouds approx 12k and had some ice accretion on wings and canopy. I should have slowed down because now have slight abrasion on prop leading edge.

Back