What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Touch v5.1 update

NovaBandit

Well Known Member
Looks like Garmin just released v5.1 for the G3X Touch.

Changes made from version 5.00 to 5.10:
Add ability to configure GEA 24 general-purpose (GP) inputs as additional discrete inputs
Add discrete input configuration to swap frequencies on selected COM radio (requires GMA 245/245R)
Add option to configure distance to destination (DISTD) field in data bar
Change flight director TO mode to always disengage autopilot when activated
Change flight director GA mode to disengage autopilot if minimum airspeed is not configured
Change weight & balance configuration to allow weights up to 99999 units
Improve fuel calculator +/- buttons to more easily enter quantity of fuel added or subtracted
Improve GDU 46x MFD page navigation display when split screen is on right side
Improve engine page display
Improve map airspace labels
Improve transponder status display
Improve Bluetooth & Connext interface
General improvements to system operation

I'm very happy to hear they made the GEA24 GP pins usable as discrete inputs! Especially since I was flying before the GAD27 was made available... I'm going to have to revisit my wiring diagram to see if it's worth a little rewire to take advantage of this!

Hello Ed,

Since you have a GMA 245 and two COM radios that can both be controlled through your GDU 46x displays, you might also be interested in this change:

Add discrete input configuration to swap frequencies on selected COM radio (requires GMA 245/245R)

If you assign this function to one of the discrete inputs on your GEA 24, you will be able to swap the active and standby frequencies on whichever radio currently has the active mic selection on your audio panel. If I remember correctly how your airplane is currently set up, this might be of use to you.

- Matt

g3xpert said:

Thank you! I asked for this a while back and hoped it would happen. I even saved a button on my stick in case it became reality :)

Love the frequent updates and new features.

However, could we please get an oil use counter? Just a configurable engine hour counter to keep track of the time until oil change would be great!

Thanks,

-Dan

Very glad to see the change that allows the GEA 24 GP inputs to be used as discrete inputs! Once again I'm impressed with Garmin's responsiveness to customer requests.

Jerald

Hello Ed,

Since you have a GMA 245 and two COM radios that can both be controlled through your GDU 46x displays, you might also be interested in this change:

If you assign this function to one of the discrete inputs on your GEA 24, you will be able to swap the active and standby frequencies on whichever radio currently has the active mic selection on your audio panel. If I remember correctly how your airplane is currently set up, this might be of use to you.

- Matt

I already have an [on]-off-[on] momentary switch on my stick. Pushing down is wired up to the GMA24 for changing xmit between COM1 and COM2. Pushing up currently activates swapping active and standby on the GTN.

If I understand the new feature correctly, I should be able to rewire the "up" function of the switch to a discrete and swap active and standby of whichever radio is on active xmit (and not just have it always swap on the GTN)?

(the current setup is explained better in my panel tour video at this time mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLMhT1aJoAM&feature=youtu.be&t=31m11s )

I already have an [on]-off-[on] momentary switch on my stick. Pushing down is wired up to the GMA24 for changing xmit between COM1 and COM2. Pushing up currently activates swapping active and standby on the GTN.

If I understand the new feature correctly, I should be able to rewire the "up" function of the switch to a discrete and swap active and standby of whichever radio is on active xmit (and not just have it always swap on the GTN)?

Yes, that's correct - with the latter configuration, activating the discrete input would cause your G3X system to command the radio with the active microphone selection to swap its active and standby frequencies.

- Matt

I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend!

BTW, you guys rock! Next you need to do something cool with that wifi radio hiding the the GDU460/465!

Back