What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-1 On the Move!

Bob, you flying it into Denver Wed? Im thinking of coming over to see the 1 and the other RVs that show up.

Bob is probably a little busy but the plan is still for his arrival at Jeffco tomorrow and weather is looking pretty good for now.

Last edited:
One correction, The "One" will be landing and overnighting (May 30th) at Rocky Mountain Regional (BJC) NOT Front Range (FTG).
Bob Markert
RV8 Slow Build (Wings)

Parking

There will be parking in the Lima hangar lot just east of the Forest Service, but we also have used spots at Redstone College in the past, across the street.

Jim Gray

In McPherson, KS

Looks like they are fueling in McPherson. Weather is looking good for the rest of the flight to Denver today.

Denver!

Well, SPOT has stopped in the middle of the taxiway at Rocky Mountain Regional. I hope that means that The One has arrived and not that SPOT fell out while doing a fly-by. :D

Last edited:
RV-1

Nice pictures from yesterday Don.

Paul's 3 must be breathtaking to see in person. Can't wait for Oshkosh!!!

Brian Eisner
RV4 C-GRJT
Bedford Nova Scotia
Canada

RV-1 leaves Denver

Godspeed RV-1, see you in Oshkosh! What a great time yesterday, seeing the 1 and trying it on for size. So glad I got to see it up close and personal before it's behind the velvet ropes in the EAA museum. Thanks to Jim Gray and everyone else who made that happen!

I had the pleasure of flying with Bob and the RV-1 from Ogden UT (KOGD) to Twin Falls ID (KTWF). Flight was great, not bumpy at all.

My wife took over 500 pics, once I get them uploaded I'll share the pics.

Was awesome to see the plane, visit with Bob, and fly with the plane. A great piece of RV history that I will certainly never forget!

DSC_0443.jpg

Enroute from Ogden Utah (KOGD) to Twin Falls Idaho (KTWF).

Last edited:
DSC_0940.jpg

On the ground in Twin Falls Idaho. Bob Mills (flying RV-1) is in the middle in the red shirt.

The people to the left of him in the picture took him to Winnemucca from Twin Falls. The group to the right of him in the picture is the group from Ogden that brought him to Twin Falls.

Gary Kopecky, Jeramy Higgins (me), Boots.

Great flight, really happy to be a part of this!

Check-in message from Reno-Stead

Looks like Bob has successfully brought the RV-1 into Reno and will now get a well-deserved rest for both.

BTW, Happy Anniversary, Bob. You have an understanding wife!

Reno SPeed Machine

Ok Bob lets see a pic of RV-1 in the hangar with that Reno Racer of yours.:D

Looks like Bob has successfully brought the RV-1 into Reno and will now get a well-deserved rest for both.

BTW, Happy Anniversary, Bob. You have an understanding wife!

Thanks...and that's for sure! :D

Ok Bob lets see a pic of RV-1 in the hangar with that Reno Racer of yours.:D

Like this?:
VAF%2520RV-1%2520and%2520Storch.jpg

Whoops...well for fun, can ya name that plane? Well can ya!? ;)

That was temporary digs in the Aviation Classics hangar, while I mopped my hangar floor for the -1 (lots of fiberglass sanding dust from the cowl had re-settled while I was away playing :eek:).

More like this, eh:
VAF%2520RV-1%2520and%2520Rocket%2520Six.jpg

It is comfy for a few days, till Slick comes up to fly it to Marysville for Golden West!

A better wrap up and fave pics over the weekend! Sure was fun! Time to get some sle...zzzzzzzzzzz

Cheers,
Bob

Fieseler Fi 156 Storch

Wow, very good Gary!

:D
Like I knew that!

Same here Daryl ;). The discussion here was that it can land as slow as 17 mph, and was reported to have landed in a soccer stadium in WWII to pick up Mussolini. An allegedly famous quote from a pilot that flew one was that you could "land it in less space than it takes to crash it". When the owner of Classics brought it in, eveyone thought he was trying to land and just feeling for the runway, and after he landed on the next pass, he asked if everyone liked his high speed pass! (75 mph, or what might look like a landing pass in an RV, eh!).

But I digress...we all know which is the cool airplane in the picture above! The yellow one! :cool:

Fantasy of Flight

Hey Bob I say an American plane kind of like this one at Fantasy of Flight in Orlando. When I saw it they were restoring it and they had a video of it landing "I think Jimmy Stewart movie". It was so windy as it slowed down it stopped and landed. Very cool.

Just checked in at Reno-Stead

I hope Tim remembers to turn on the tracking! SHould be heading to Marysville and the Golden West Fly-In.

The West Coast tour begins!

Looks like the RV-1 has made it to Yuba County (Marysville) Airport to begin its West Coast tour and visit back home.

Yup - I had a nice phone call from Tim Cone after they landed at Yuba County, and it sounds like they had a great day! I am sure that after he gets over the excitement of flying the ONE, he'll chime in - thanks to all the folks involved in today's move!

This is as far south as it's goign to get in California, so all of you SOCAL guys that can't make it to Oshkosh - better fuel up the RV's and dash to Marysville!

Photos of todays flight.

Here are some shots from todays flight transferring the RV 1 to Marysville for the Golden West flyin.

Tim Cone was the pilot for the trip, can you say RV grin???

P6050056.jpg

Here is how you count in that language known as RV----tis a bit different than you might be used to.

Goes like this----- 1, 4, 6, 8, 10.

P6060070.jpg

I got to play tail-end-charley to the Ravens---my new name is 5:D

P6060083.jpg

Safe and sound in its temporary home at Marysville.

P6060108.jpg

Here is a link to the album----enjoy:D

https://picasaweb.google.com/mikestarkey025/RV1Delivery

Tim Redden's dad got this shot, I believe it was Tim Cone's camera.

I just had to share, there are lots more, hopefully they will get posted by the correct Tim :D.

DSC_0400.JPG

all RV's

This may be a dumb question, but are we going to get a shot someday of all the RV models flying together?

Safe in Medford

All,

I just got off the phone with Joe. He enjoyed the flight from Marysville to Medford...slight headwinds the whole way.

He's all gassed up and continuing to Aurora.

Track on!

Tim

Yes they did. With thirty minutes to spare....... A well planned flight.

And Louise made it home (over 1600 miles) with 3.5 hours to spare...... Another well planned flight.

Now that the ONE is safely tucked away at Van's, I keep wondering how many modifications will be made before we see it again. I mean, Van has had over 40 years to think up additional things he can tweak.... :)

KMYV->KMFR->KUAO

Daryl (Maverick) and I had a very enjoyable flight home yesterday after a long and windy weekend at the Golden West Regional Fly In. After a good turnover brief from Tim Cone and phone briefs with Paul and Bob Mills, we departed KMYV. The airplane climbs great and settled in right about 117-120Kts for the trip. Least headwind appeared to be around 8,500' for the 1st leg to Medford.

Landed KMFR for fuel and a much needed leg stretch. I found that my butt and legs began to feel uncomfortable after about an hour and a half into the first leg. The other impression was that this airplane seems really LOUD even with my Bose headsets! :eek: On the second leg I used earplugs in addition to the Bose for additional relief.

We landed KUAO Aurora State around 9:20 or so with clear skies plenty of ambient light (we are nearing the Summer Solstice next week, so twilight here extends quite late).

Rolled the ONE into the hanger with all of it's factory family, took a couple of pics to document the occasion, and headed for home after a long day...:D Will post more pics and info when I get caught up... :eek:

Last edited:
Joe, glad you made it home safe with The One, sorry I missed out on the fun.

Forecast of 45 mph gusts triggered my "chicken" switch.

See you at Homecoming.

Forecast of 45 mph gusts triggered my "chicken" switch.

Actual gusts were in the low 40's from what I saw. Your 'chicken switch' is pretty well calibrated so no need to adjust. I don't think I wanted any part of that wind either. It was hard enough just keeping the -9A on the ground and the rudder from bashing itself around. We went through 2 rudder gust locks as it was over the 2 day show...:rolleyes:

Back