What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV3 propeller advice...

Rich Pulman

Well Known Member
Sponsor
My new-to-me RV3 came with a 68/67 wooden propeller installed on an 0-290-D2 engine. I’m very new to piston/propeller aircraft so haven’t given it much thought until I recently read Tony Bingelis’ book on engines. He suggests that static RPM should be 80-85% of maximum engine RPM. On my engine that should be ~2200RPM. With the current prop, I can only achieve 2000RPM static. The airplane performs well; gets airborne very quickly, cruises at 130KTAS @ 2200RPM.

Sooo, the question is, is this prop appropriate for this aircraft/engine combination? Will a different prop give better performance? What are you folks running on your 3s?

Thanks for any advice and/or suggestions.

Prop

Depends on what performance you want from the prop - cruise or climb
If that is the same prop from Props. Inc. painted white, it is a cruise prop
for that 0290-D2
for that engine / prop/ airplane 2000 static is fine

Will

My new-to-me RV3 came with a 68/67 wooden propeller installed on an 0-290-D2 engine. I’m very new to piston/propeller aircraft so haven’t given it much thought until I recently read Tony Bingelis’ book on engines. He suggests that static RPM should be 80-85% of maximum engine RPM. On my engine that should be ~2200RPM. With the current prop, I can only achieve 2000RPM static. The airplane performs well; gets airborne very quickly, cruises at 130KTAS @ 2200RPM.

Sooo, the question is, is this prop appropriate for this aircraft/engine combination? Will a different prop give better performance? What are you folks running on your 3s?

Thanks for any advice and/or suggestions.

Rich, 2000rpm is rather low for static. Typically i like to see 2300-2400 static on my props, this usually means WOT will be around 2750-2800 at sea level and rpm will decrease as alt increases. At 2000 roc will be anemic(for an RV), you're probably only making 85ish HP.

Last edited:
+1 on previous posts.
Your question ain’t -3 specific, rather relevant to any FP propped aircraft...

Missing is the other most important data: go WOT and give us altitude and RPM. Assuming your engine is red lined @ the usual 2700RPM, are u then above or below?

RV-3 Prop

I owned that aircraft for 10 years,formally known as N32AP
Rich that's right built by Alan Pickup (AP) I went through a few different wood props.
Jeff @ Props. Inc (Oregon) built the one on it when sold.
He asked - what engine and aircraft, do you what climb or best cruise. I said best cruise.
High density and high Alt airports never had or thought i would have an issue.
RV3 performance
Not saying 2000 static is good for all, but that engine / aircraft I had 2700
flat out.
Like Rich said this is 029-D2
I was very happy with the prop from Props. Inc.

Will

Back