What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Snorkel to FM200

Southern Pete

Well Known Member
I have an angle valve motor with an FM200 injector and am fitting a snorkel. I recall someone was making an adapter that attached to the FM200 and gave a square interface that simulated the RSA-5 (ish) flange. Does anyone know who supplies these adapters?

I know the snorkel is smaller diameter than the FM200 but I can expand it without any problem. I cannot easily get hold of a 3 1/4" pipe to mould a pipe to fit over the FM.

Pete

I used an old thermos bottle/cup that happened to have the right size, then connected with hose. These bottles can be bought anywhere - they are really common.

My snorkel is ugly, NSFL, so only click if you want to be shocked.

http://www.rv8.ch/frankensnorkel/

What I have learned later is that I needed to make the air flow "straighter" at the exit of the snorkel for the FM200 as it only has one place that it detects air pressure. Turbulent flow at the entrance of the FM200 is a "bad thing"™ and can cause "big problems". This air pressure sensor has a direct impact on how much fuel is distributed, so imagine turbulence causes very low or even negative pressure. Bad.

There are a few ways to make the flow less turbulent, the best is to just make the snorkel better. I didn't do this, I used an air flow straightener at the exit of the snorkel, not shown in my pictures. I might have some pics somewhere, but can't find them now.

I've read that Van's and AFP are working together to make sure that the snorkel flows well, so there might be some helpful hints coming from them. Might be worth a call to Van's or Don at AFP to take advantage of what they have learned - which I think is very significant.

Don offered to do a flow check on my snorkel, which was really appreciated. I have not (yet) taken him up on that offer. With my air flow straightener it's working really well, despite the ugliness of my snorkel.

Good luck with your snorkel, happy to clarify anything if it can help.

Pete,

You could buy the snorkel for the RV-14 with the IO-390-EXP119 - it uses the FM200. This snorkel has also been modified (as I understand) to get better flow.

Carl

Back