What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Inspection panels question

Charles in SC

Well Known Member
When building my -7 slider I created panels in front of the windshield. I used some blue rtv to seal them with. I used as small of a line of sealant as I could squeeze out of the tube. When I needed to open them up again they were stuck way better than I wanted. I thought I was going to bend them up getting them open. What can I use that will seal them without sticking them? Thanks in advance!

Or RTV the plane, and grease the panels, then just snug down the covers without tightening all the way. That may leave you a removable panel, with a formed silicone gasket in the flange! I haven’t tried this yet, so it could be a waste of time, but that’s what I would try..

i did my inspection panels front of the windshield without taking the thickness of the sealant material into account. that means i did not install an additional aluminum sheet between the top skin and the skin that holds the nutplates. is the sealing material "thin" enough so that the panels wouldn't protrude very much?

From the instructions that come with the Van's access panels (OP-43) -

A gasket can be created between the VA-258A Access Rings and VA-258B Access Panels using a thin application of tank sealant. Apply a small bead of sealant along the top side of the access ring close to the edge of the F-771, F-7106, or F-1071 FWD Fuse Tip Skin. Cover the opening and sealant with an oversized piece of plastic wrap and press the access panel into position.
Screw the access panel in place and allow for the tank sealant to cure completely. Remove the access panel and carefully peel off the plastic wrap. Replace the access panel and screw into place.

I plan to use RTV vs pro-seal, but the process should be the same.

Sealing Insp Panels

i did my inspection panels front of the windshield without taking the thickness of the sealant material into account. that means i did not install an additional aluminum sheet between the top skin and the skin that holds the nutplates. is the sealing material "thin" enough so that the panels wouldn't protrude very much?

You could always follow the Vans instructions.

A thin bead of non hardening Permatex would work.

A permanent no leak way: Fab and install a .025” spacer ring that goes between the deck skin and the nutplate ring. Rivet those parts in place with a very thin film of proseal. Next put a bead of proseal on the nut plate flange and cover with Saran Wrap. Wax the bottom surface of the insp cover and install with screws. Carefully and slowly tighten the screws pulling the cover down into the proseal until the cover is flush with the surrounding deck skin. A hotel key card is a handy and disposable straightedge/scraper for this operation. Let cure and remove cover and Saran Wrap.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Attachments

• 322049F3-8DCC-4FAB-8E22-D931FE1B40B3.jpg
    322049F3-8DCC-4FAB-8E22-D931FE1B40B3.jpg
    482.1 KB · Views: 118
Thanks for the replies. I do not think Vans had those when I made mine. I am going to test a couple of the ideas and decide what to do.

Back