What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Blessed by the Gods of wind - a tailwind both ways !

humptybump

Well Known Member
You've heard the old tail of how easy kids have it today - "when I was your age I had to bicycle 5 miles to school and it was up hill both ways". Well, in the world of flying we all know there are headwinds and tailwinds and more often than not you get a headwind even on a round trip.

Today was an anomaly - a trip out for lunch with a TAILWIND BOTH WAYS !

The weather of late had been conspiring against my attempts to go somewhere new for breakfast or lunch. An over night storm pushed most of the bad stuff out to sea so I picked my target and launched.

Time to visit Pik-n-Pig in Carthage, North Carolina. It's 310 miles by road and 260 miles by plane. With a 5kts tailwind (at 3,000 ft), it took just an hour and 35 minutes to get there. With a 20kts tailwind (at 10,000 ft) it took about an hour and 20 minutes to get back !

20120909-155937.jpg

very popular BBQ for locals, motorcyclists, and pilots

20120909-155958.jpg

I wasn't the only RV-8 pilot with the same idea

20120909-160112.jpg

there was even one of these famous guys in attendance (I hope he didn't see my landing)

20120909-160129.jpg

the place was packed with a waiting list (don't let this picture fool you)

20120909-160140.jpg

an homage to Vlad - here is the "food shot" :D

CJ, your neck of the woods as well as Triple Tree were both on my short list for Saturday but ultimately were no-go's. So glad things were good today ... GREAT today is more like it !

Food looks great Glen! But your chef does it better at 53VG :D I was treated with lunch today in KY. Rough River airport to be exact. Thanks Jeff! The fun part was the airport is located in Dry County, Bourbon Republic :)

Dang, the Russian invaded my state. You didn't clean out the buffet at the Lodge did you Vlad? The canard fly-in happens at RR at the end of the month.

Pik-n-Pig

We have a group that goes there a couple times a month, as its only a 20 minute hop for us from 8A7 (Twin Lakes). Great BBQ and fun to watch the arrivals...Great hospitality and usually some good fly-bys to see. Anyone planning a fly-out to the Pik-n-Pig drop me a note, and we will come join.

Back