What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bump on hs skin at hs middle nose rib.

swift12

Well Known Member
Has everyone got this? I have worked the nose area of the rib as per instructions to make sure it does not cause a bump but when the skin is clecoed over there is still a small bump top and bottom….can see it especially when looking down it’s length in the light….I’m guessing it’s on everyone’s and maybe I’m looking too hard.

I spent some time really contouring the nose of the ribs to avoid this issue. Now that it's built, not so much. Maybe a light tap with a ball peen? ... light ...

Or it is what it is. Just be careful not to make it worse!

Cheers

I spent some time really contouring the nose of the ribs to avoid this issue. Now that it's built, not so much. Maybe a light tap with a ball peen? ... light ...

Or it is what it is. Just be careful not to make it worse!

Cheers

How do you contour without shortening the rib? It’s already eased off quite a bit over the nose of the rib esp in the area causing the bump where the rib web is. Anymore it will be like a knife edge??

As I remember, carefully bending the tabs into a curve and judicious use of the stationary belt sander to put everything in a nice curve to fit. If you need to force these into place, you'll end up printing right through the skin!

As I remember, carefully bending the tabs into a curve and judicious use of the stationary belt sander to put everything in a nice curve to fit. If you need to force these into place, you'll end up printing right through the skin!

so im having trouble envisaging how you could sand more off?....I have sanded the nose of the ribs but bending the tabs?...looking at the front of the ribs its a C shape.....how do you bend the tabs without affecting the web of the rib? I have the flanges at 90 degrees ....any help would be great.

This might be becoming a stretch to explain online ... and I don't have a video of the assembly!

One thing to consider is that the HS is tapered, so the nose of the rib may not need to be at 90 degrees, and the profile of the rib may need to be massaged to fit the skin as well ... just whatever it takes to make it fit.

Sorry I don't have more specifics. Just keep at it!

Back