What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Deburring spars

JwWright57

Well Known Member
Hi all

I've read in the forum that I shouldn't touch the wing spars just use them as is. But man are they a little rough! Sharp edges, tooling steps, etc. Vans guidance in section 5 is to file the edges on everything to remove the tooling marks, why doesn't the spars need this done?

Also, what about the aluminum angles (for rib attachment) that are pre-riveted to the spar? Their edges are pretty rough also, are they fair game for a little SB wheel or file?

Good point, well made.

One of our spar 'leaves' stands proud and is giving an issue with pin fit. The spar goes deep enough, but the bush just sits a RCH low due to one leaf being a little high. I will wait for Scott's input :D

The official response has been to leave them alone and use as is. I couldn't live looking at those rough edges on the spars visible in the cockpit. So I took the vixen and smoothed that section out. Nothing you can do about all the spar caps further outboard,probably do more harm than good. Yeah, I know I knocked off the anodizing or primer but a wipe every once in a while keeps them looking nice. Keep at it,it's an awesome flying plane!!

Hi all

I've read in the forum that I shouldn't touch the wing spars just use them as is. But man are they a little rough! Sharp edges, tooling steps, etc. Vans guidance in section 5 is to file the edges on everything to remove the tooling marks, why doesn't the spars need this done?

Also, what about the aluminum angles (for rib attachment) that are pre-riveted to the spar? Their edges are pretty rough also, are they fair game for a little SB wheel or file?
I had the same question about the parts in the pre-built fuselage center section. Tech support told me the anodized parts were OK to use in the condition we received them.

Having read Section 5, I was surprised at their answer. While the center section parts weren?t likely to draw blood, I could certainly feel roughness. Perhaps many of us (including me) have been making the edges of parts a lot smoother than they need to be.

I think that may be a first for VAF...

I first encountered that unit of measure during my first year as an engineering student back when dinosaurs roamed the earth. I didn't realize that it is also used on the other side of the pond.

Jerre

As our learned correspondent alluded to, it is oft referred to over here as a GCH, which indeed, as a cross section dimension is a very tiny measure, slung under an insect and probably flying in the wind....

I used the Americanised version to enable Colonial colleagues to acknowledge the minute amount involved.....:D

When I was a junior naval officer they told us don?t discuss women, politics or religion at the ward room table. Probably a good rule for Internet blogs too!😜

Back