What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EGT Probe Life

RFSchaller

Well Known Member
I've got 520 hours and 56 months on my RV-12. In that time I've had three EGT probes fail. Is that typical of what you guys are seeing?

410 hrs HOBBS over 2.5 years with original probes still going strong. They are usually within @ 40 degrees F of each other @ 1,300 F at 5,250 rpm.

Getting ready to change my right side for the third time in 275 hours. I use 93 mogas with ethanol if that makes a difference. The faston connectors are suspect too,I give them a good tug.

I've got one that's fixin' to fail. Where are replacements available...Vans, Dynon?

#264 flying 430 hours

Bought mine at Dynon - EGT, Hose Clamp, 0.75-1.25", Rotax SKU: #100405-001
$46.89 incl shipping

Is there a difference in the probes, location, or something else in the 12. Sorry, I have no experience with the Rotax but this sure seems like a lot of failures not seen in the Lyc's....

Curious.

JUST CURIOUS - -

For those having a probe problem, have you used a VOM to check them ? Maybe cut the connector off and be sure you are not having a connector problem ? Connector problems seem more common from my experience.

Definitely bad probe when it acted up ~ 100TT. As cheap as I am, I did all the troubleshooting first before initiating purchase for new.

Had one fail at about 200 hours

The replacement and other original are still going strong at 413. Having said that, I'm sure one will fail next flight.
Wayne 120241/143WM

My experience - -

I have nearly 1,000 hours on the originals. I think I had two crimp issues over the years. I changed the connectors to Delco Weatherpak, and stopped having problems. They read within 50 degrees of each other most of the time. 30 difference is not uncommon.

More info, John? Did you use a ready-made pigtail

or just buy the end (female?). How does it attach to the probe itself? Not obvious (to me at least) from looking at component photos.

THANKS

Wayne 120214/143WM

Wayne - -

I obviously had one of the first kits. ( #7 to fly ). Not sure if the probes were always supplied the same or not. I just cut off the wire from the probe and installed the ends that were made for the Delco connectors. The wires from the probe are fairly brittle as I recall. If they are not fastened well, they will break or connector come loose. Not sure I have a pic of them. Will look.

Back