What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The step mounting hole on a taildragger?

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
I assume the hole behind the wing on the left side will be unused in a taildragger, and can be patched and filled with whatever artistry I can muster?

Keep the step

It's up to you, but even on the tail dragger, I would keep the step. I have the step on the pilot side, but not on the co-pilot side, and that side is a lot harder to get up and down on. I would want it on both sides if you have any kind of regular passenger. It add's drag etc, but worth it to have the step in my opinion.

It's up to you, but even on the tail dragger, I would keep the step. I have the step on the pilot side, but not on the co-pilot side, and that side is a lot harder to get up and down on. I would want it on both sides if you have any kind of regular passenger. It add's drag etc, but worth it to have the step in my opinion.
I assume you mean something other than a RV-8.

Is it possible to keep the step on an -8 taildragger?

I am working fitting the left flap. This is the cover plate that was supplied with the kit, and the step opening is covered after the cover plate is riveted onto the fuselage.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    648.9 KB · Views: 229

Yes. You make the matching cutout in the cover plate and install the step as in the 8A. I am considering of doing the similar modification, and especially if I am tired of the high stepping on to the wing so that I don't accidentally trip and dent the flap.

I would want it on both sides if you have any kind of regular passenger.

I realize OP was referring to the -8, where you presumably only ever mount from one side, so you would probably only have or need 1 step. On my -6, or any of the sideXside's, I wish I had it on both sides.

The -8 Should Have a Step

My RV8 is at the hangar and I wish I had installed a step even when it is a tail-dragger. Climbing on and off the wings for 10 - 15 times a day is tiresome. Unless you are 6ft or taller, you have to take a big stride just to step onto the wing from the ground. Stepping off the wing is no picnic either if you have a prior knee injury from playing sports.

Yes, but I did shorten it. Works well. I don't think shortening it is a requirement, but for a TD, it is a more natural height.

Attachments

• IMG_1399.JPEG
    IMG_1399.JPEG
    1.3 MB · Views: 206
I’m pretty fit and scoffed at the idea of that step on an -8 but wish I would have put it on. It’s a big step if you have short legs.

Last edited:
How much did you shorten the step on your -8?
I'll have to measure it. I also have the welding fixture around here somewhere to hold the proper angles and such.
I am really glad I put it on, It makes mounting the wing like walking up a staircase. I sure hope it doesn't crack though!

How much did you shorten the step on your -8?

On my -7, I measured and split the difference between the ground and the step, and the step and trailing edge of the wing. Doing it this way makes for a natural stride when walking up, stepping up on the step, and then on to the wing.

I'll have to measure it. I also have the welding fixture around here somewhere to hold the proper angles and such.
I am really glad I put it on, It makes mounting the wing like walking up a staircase. I sure hope it doesn't crack though!

On my -7, I riveted in doublers and plate-nuts and made my steps removable. My steps just bolted on and made repairs easy if need be. I also had little cover plates so I could remove the steps and cover the holes if I ever wanted to.

The modified length is 7"

Back