What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

List Your Serial Number here!

Bernard Hartnell

Emp. And wing kits arrived about 3 was ago. Kit# 140102
My N# will be: N14ZP
Working on IO360 with HP modifications to meet and slightly exceed the IO390 210HP. Project coming along. Looking forward to ordering the fus. Kit when it's out! Pumped about the project. Any other builders in CO.?

Emp Kit Arrived

Empennage kit came Oct 12th.

First time builder, almost done with the Vertical Stab...ANDDD just learned how to drill out rivets!

On the topic...what do we think the record is for most times a rivet in one location has had to been drilled out and repeated? ...We did it about ten times :rolleyes:

SN 140117

Latest to take the plunge...

Just ordered a tail kit.... #140128!

Tools on order...
EAA workshop scheduled...
Sanity long ago checked at the door!

Building RV-14 in Tucson

Just received the empennage kit for my RV-14, #140131. Have previously built a 6A and 7A and really looking forward to this one. Workshop setup is still in progress as the shipment was received much earlier than expected. Would love to hear from other RV-14 builders in the Tucson area (previously in Massachusetts).

Finally received my wing kit. Looking forward to getting started.

2nhfax3.jpg

Hello RVators!

After years of dreaming of building an RV, I finally pushed the button! Ordered the empennage kit for an RV-14a a couple of weeks ago, and it already arrived! In fact, It arrived so quickly I am not even ready. I still have lots of preparation in the garage (shop), plus have to finish up another project I am working on. Hope to get going on the RV build within about a month. I can't wait to get started! Below is a pic of the delivery man happy to get rid of that thing. I'm happy to take it!!!
Chuck
Huntsville, AL
RV-14a
Empennage kit just arrived

12534717125_02babb046a_o.png

Last edited:
Tail number

Not sure just how to register but my builder number is 140114 and my reserved tail number is N4114A. Tail kit is 100 percent complete and wings will be done this month.

I took the SportAir workshop, visited Van's with my wife and went on a "free" RV-14 demo ride, cleared out the garage and built some EAA tables, got on the Christmas card list for various tool vendors, finished the practice kits, and just got a delivery of big crate in the garage. Oh no! :eek: What have I done? What was I thinking! What have I gotten myself into?

I just received my tail kit for an RV-14A. Serial number is 140151.

Since Gerald posted his as #151, I will emerge from the silence and announce that I have started #140152! Receiving Wing and Emp tomorrow. The Nine tail tentatively looks sold when the builder can get out here.

Very excited, it's been a choppy ride getting here. A personal crisis now resolved, unfortunately lost some money to someone here on VAF (nameless for now) but now solidly on firm ground.

Something everyone may be interested in, I ordered the Wing and Emp and they had the Wing in stock. My assumption is either sales slowed down, or perhaps someone had just pulled out of an order and it was just lucky timing on my part.

Started an online builders log with not much in there for now. I probably will keep going with blogspot assuming I can figure out a good way to keep everything backed up as well locally.

http://vans14a.blogspot.com

Welcome Gerald and JD, be sure to get a builders log going with lots of pics, here on this site or elsewhere. Put the link in your signature.:)

Tom

Gerald, welcome and have fun with the build.

Jeff, good to meet you via email the other day. Enjoy the build.

Number 140143

Ordered the tail and wing kits in mid Feb and received them March 13th. Right now in the process of inventorying the kits and setting up my work area. Looking forward to starting assembly. This is a retirement project (retiring next month).

Serial Number 140159

Ordered my RV-14A tail kit Monday March 31 and received it Friday April 1. Ordered a few tools for the Vans practice kit and tool box. need to setup shop.

Dates

Ordered my RV-14A tail kit Monday March 31 and received it Friday April 1. Ordered a few tools for the Vans practice kit and tool box. need to setup shop.

I think your dates are a little off. Good luck with the build and welcome to VAF.

List your serial number

Just received my RV 14 empennage kit today! Kit number 148. I have been waiting since high school; which was a long time ago, to build my airplane. I'm hoping to talk and meet other builders in michigan. I'm so excited and scared at the same time. Big thanks to Doug and all of you for having such a great site.
Hal

Welcome aboard Hal, just take it one step at a time and relax. That's what we did, AH maybe we did not relax.

Empennage is inbound

My empennage should arrive 4/24/14. Maybe I'll get 140150? ABF is delivering it. I might ask for the day off! My shipping cost was estimated at 255.00 to greensboro NC.

Carl-

In my case bot the empennage and the the wing kit ended up at a local distribution center before coming to the house. I got a call from them about delivery times. The empennage kit did not come on the day it was supposed to arrive. I had to call and found out that they will schedule the delivery in anticipation of the crate arriving at their warehouse. In my case there was a delay. I would call and make sure the time it will be delivered and make sure that they give the driver your cell number. Have him call an hour before so you know that they are actually showing up. I had two other people with me to help unload. The drive helped as as well, but I would not count on that to happen.

cheers
ken

Carl-

In my case bot the empennage and the the wing kit ended up at a local distribution center before coming to the house. I got a call from them about delivery times. The empennage kit did not come on the day it was supposed to arrive. I had to call and found out that they will schedule the delivery in anticipation of the crate arriving at their warehouse. In my case there was a delay. I would call and make sure the time it will be delivered and make sure that they give the driver your cell number. Have him call an hour before so you know that they are actually showing up. I had two other people with me to help unload. The drive helped as as well, but I would not count on that to happen.

cheers
ken

Thanks Ken. The people at vans gave me all the information.

My empennage should arrive 4/24/14. Maybe I'll get 140150? ABF is delivering it. I might ask for the day off! My shipping cost was estimated at 255.00 to greensboro NC.

152 has already been claimed and that was back in March (pre sun-n-fun) so your number may already be much higher.

152 has already been claimed and that was back in March (pre sun-n-fun) so your number may already be much higher.

I got 140160. Just spoke with the shipping company hopefully I get the crate this friday. If not it should arrive monday. Right now it's on a train.

Just finished doing the inventory on my Tail kit. Getting ready to get started on my very first airplane build. Serial Number 154.

140173 Joining

Ordered tail and wing kits but they are still processing so no ship date yet.

That's good because I need to order tool set and build some EAA 1000 benches.

Ok lets sum this up. First Subkit serial number was released fall of 2012. Now we see Serial Number 173. With big sales push at OSH 2014 we could see 200 by the fall 2014. 100 new serial numbers per year pretty good stats so far.:D For perspective the RV12 was released in April 2008 at Sun&Fun. Now we are at serial numbers around 850 with about 350 flying.:eek: I have reviewed my crystal ball and predict first RV14 will fly in 2016.:cool:

2016, ah NO!

Ok lets sum this up. First Subkit serial number was released fall of 2012. Now we see Serial Number 173. With big sales push at OSH 2014 we could see 200 by the fall 2014. 100 new serial numbers per year pretty good stats so far.:D For perspective the RV12 was released in April 2008 at Sun&Fun. Now we are at serial numbers around 850 with about 350 flying.:eek: I have reviewed my crystal ball and predict first RV14 will fly in 2016.:cool:

If the remainder of the kits come up soon, I expect to purchase engine and instruments at Sun 'n Fun and be flying off my 40 hours next summer. Or, I will be very disappointed.

140173 Shortfused

Well both kits were in stock so they shipped Tuesday due in Orlando on Tues 29. Yahooo... cept I am going to be a**and elbows tomorrow and Saturday and maybe farther getting my garage in shape and EAA 1000 bench built to handle it. Plan is to inventory wing kit and reclose and store and open tail and let er rip... as soon as my Avery kit arrives.

Still nervous. Anyone got a picture of an elephant with a bit out of it's butt for me to hang up and remember this is one bite at a time.

You picked the right kit for a first time builder. The instructions are very clear and specific.

I got the wing and aft fuse kits a few weeks ago and I started with the wings. I am having a blast and am amazed at how fast it is going together compared to other kits I have helped build.

I followed the suggestions of several other builders and made my EAA benches 6 feet long instead of five, and also adjusted the size of the frame to leave a 2" overhang all around the top for clamping parts. Instead of plywood tops I used 3/4" MDF since it is smooth and much flatter than 3/4" plywood. Disregard the parts list for the tables, you will not need molding and multiple size screws. You will need a huge box of #9 or #10 x 2 1/2" deck screws and some good wood glue. I made 4 tables so I could build both wings at the same time and it is working well.

Back