What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My flight in the Liberty Belle

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
IMG_3395.JPG

Yesterday, the Liberty Foundation brought its B-17 -- the Liberty Belle -- to Saint Paul for media flights in advance of next weekend's appearance to the general public.

I was assigned to ride the 1 p.m. flight but when I showed up with my AOPA hat, the crew asked, "are you a pilot?"

"Yes, sir," I said, thankful that they didn't ask if I was a good pilot.

"We need a third crewman to be sure people are buckled in and to help them tour, can you handle two flights?" they said.

Sure, let me think about this: Can I handle two flights in a B-17?

It was great fun sitting in the jump seat, on the headphones so I could hear the guys chat as they flew. Even better, it turned out that one of the pilots -- Jeff Hess -- is an RV-4 pilot from Falcon Flight.

He was kind enough to invite my wife on the second flight.

IMG_3382.JPG

I love Planet RV! It's my birthday today; I got my present yesterday.

I made a video about it for my day job.

I also put some more pictures on the blog.

IMG_3395.JPG

Yesterday, the Liberty Foundation brought its B-17 -- the Liberty Belle -- to Saint Paul for media flights in advance of next weekend's appearance to the general public.

I was assigned to ride the 1 p.m. flight but when I showed up with my AOPA hat, the crew asked, "are you a pilot?"

"Yes, sir," I said, thankful that they didn't ask if I was a good pilot.

"We need a third crewman to be sure people are buckled in and to help them tour, can you handle two flights?" they said.

Sure, let me think about this: Can I handle two flights in a B-17?

It was great fun sitting in the jump seat, on the headphones so I could hear the guys chat as they flew. Even better, it turned out that one of the pilots -- Jeff Hess -- is an RV-4 pilot from Falcon Flight.

He was kind enough to invite my wife on the second flight.

IMG_3382.JPG

I love Planet RV! It's my birthday today; I got my present yesterday.

I made a video about it for my day job.

I also put some more pictures on the blog.

You sir, are a lucky guy! Very nice video! Im jealous :eek:

Great video Bob... thanks for sharing.

I noticed the Garmin 430 in the panel and 396/496 above the windscreen.

Aircraft Commander, Liberty Belle Circa Early 1940s

Bob,
Hopefully, the attached link will bring you to a picture of Harold Thompson (and crew), Commander of B-17 Liberty Belle in the early days of WWII. Harold is still an active pilot (91 years young, I believe) flying out of Pontiac, Michigan. These days, Harold flys a Falco, which he built himself.
While this is not likely the plane you flew in (Liberty Belle was a fairly common name), I think it's kind of neat to have a connection to the guys that really "did it".
Harold remains an "airport bum" and is around the airport pretty much every day. Lately, he's been working on gear doors for the Falco in an effort to gain more speed.
http://flyballoons.net/Thompson.htm
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP

No Excuses

I'm pretty sure I buy at Arty and Ed's every year. :rolleyes:

Still trying to work out the scheduling to fit in OSH.

I don't think so Bob!!!! No excuses. You better show or I'll make a house call on my way to Osh from South Dakota.

Whaddya think Glenn, maybe he should buy Ratch and Deb's. Bigger tab there!!!

Happy Birthday Brother. Look forward to seeing you!!!

I don't think so Bob!!!! No excuses. You better show or I'll make a house call on my way to Osh from South Dakota.

Whaddya think Glenn, maybe he should buy Ratch and Deb's. Bigger tab there!!!

Happy Birthday Brother. Look forward to seeing you!!!
I promised my mother I'd paint her house and it's hard to work it into the sled anywhere but the end of July. Ideally I'd do it at the end of this month but the lease is up at the city hangar and I have to move it to the new place(same place it spent the late winter)
Still trying to work it out, though. I haven't seen my mother in a year.

Truth in the closing of the video

Bob,

Thanks for sharing that great video. The gentleman speaking at the end of the video about taking WWII vets up in the B-17 speaks the truth. About four years ago I tired to take my uncle up for a ride on a Collings Foundation B-17. He refused to go for a ride in the B-17 saying "I have enough time in the Fort". I didn't press the subject knowing he had darn good reason why he didn't want to go. He trained as a pilot in the B-17 and then he was transferred over to the B-29 ultimately he served in the 870TH Bombardment squadron of the 497th Bomb group on Isley Field Saipan. Unfortunately he passed away a few years ago. We are loosing these true heroes every day and these amazing machines can help educate new generations of the greatest generation.

I commented on the 430W in Aluminum Overcast last year (from the left seat, over Evansville, IN.) I asked if it was a 1942 or 1943 model GPS. The co-pilot set me straight, "Oh, no, that's a new one. WWII GPSs were all black and white."

Tough duty, my friend, but someone had to do it. Glad it was you.

Bob

Awesome! I flew in Liberty Belle at ADS on June 18, 2006, the day of my first solo. It was also Father's Day, and I got rides for me and my stepfather (Dad was in Montana). It was a great way to cap off an awesome day. I remember the ride better than my solo.

B-17_engine-view.jpg

TODR

Back