What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 instructions in pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
great idea!

any chance a RV8 guy has a pdf copy?

if not, can I get a copy of the 7?

Thanks,
Scott

me too please!

I'm sure this thread will grow fast! Could someone please add me to the list of a source of plans for the 7 in pdf. Would be great to take them on the road for studying. Just finishing my tail now.
Cheers
Chad
:)

It's easy to scan plans and the book to PDF using office copy machines that have that feature.

What is not so easy is making the instructions truly digital -- that is, not photos. I tried OCR (optical character recognition) on my RV-9 manual with dismal results.

Especially on the plans, searching for part numbers would save me a ton of building time, because it sometimes takes 10+ minutes to locate minor parts.

Anybody have a site I can upload them to?

I've learned the file is too large to email.

All I can think of doing is snail mailing a cd rom... even better mailing a cd rom to somebody willing to host them online.

Anybody willing to help?

Everything that I have is fully searchable.

I've learned the file is too large to email.

All I can think of doing is snail mailing a cd rom... even better mailing a cd rom to somebody willing to host them online.

Anybody willing to help?

Everything that I have is fully searchable.

If you want send it to me, i shoud be able to host it temporarly.
Mike

Use www.sendthisfile.com

At work we use www.sendthisfile.com
go to the web site and check it out.
Files of unlimited size can be sent..
It's awesome.

I have a sendthisfile link at www.amitysw.com
Click on it and navigate to the PDF file.
If you send it to me via this link I can help others to
to get it. Great. Thanks.

Are we sure this is legal?

There must be some lawyers on this forum. Is this not a violation of Van's copyright? Or habeas corpus? Or e pluribus unum? Or sumthin'?

I thought of that.

If we have a copy in printed form, and turn it into an electronic copy-- or have an electronic copy from another source... What would be the difference.

Now, on the other hand. I will agree that giving away what van's charges money for (construction manual) would not be right. So I thought it would be neccessary to weed out requests from folks who are planning to build but have not bought preview plans, or any kits.

How do we do that. I'd prefer that Van's look at this favorably. I know I've bugged them before for a copy of an inventory list which was correct after three tries-- that costs time and money for them. Through sharing this way, they could avoid that work.

What do I do? Keep what I've got to myself? Is that what I'm hearing?

Office Depot

I took my 11x17 RV-7 builder plans to Office Depot. They scanned them into .pdf and put them on a dvd for less than $5 and it only took about 10 minutes for 60+ pages. Took me longer to unfold and refold them. I have digital copies at home, work and my online Picassa web album.

I scanned the first 6 chapters before work and took all of 15 minutes. I would be happy to email them, but there are some good points to how ethical this would be. Maybe a person could take a picture of their RV7 manual and send it to me as proof. Wouldn't this seem legal??
Mike

I have RV-7 and 8 plans

I have RV-7 and 8 construction manuals and plans scanned in fully searchable PDF. If the legal issues are worked out, (if you already have a hard copy of the plans, I don't think there are any issues.) I'll make mine available.

I believe that copyrighted materials need to have a copyright on them to actually BE copyrighted, and no drawings or manuals I have seen from Vans carry any copyright. If I am wrong on this, I would like to know what page(s) somebody found copyright markings (I am working from 4 year old documents). Thus I don't believe that there are any legal issues here.

As to whether there might be some moral issue - well there might be and there might not. There is no way for anybody to scratch build an airplane using these plans, as there is just not enough information in the prints to build an airplane. Many critical dimensions are just not there, since you are buying piece parts from Vans with these dimensions built in. A set of scratch built plans for an RV would be 3 or 4 times larger than the current Vans set. So you're not really taking any business away from Vans with respect to physical hardware / kit parts.

You might be shorting Vans the $40 or whatever they charge for preview plans, but if you only share with people who clearly are already building (and thus have already bought the preview plans, as they are a prerequisite to ordering any part of a kit) then I don't think this is an issue either.

I have tried to convince Vans to sell their plans and manuals in digital, searchable format, but they are not interested. Since they also do not copyright these materials, I think the door is open to sharing among builders. Searchable plans & manual are absolutely essential for efficient building, IMHO!

Please Don't

I would prefer folks not promote sharing electronic copies of plans using my site. It's not so much a copyright issue as it is a version control issue. What will most likely happen is some unsuspecting customer who is using out-of-date plans (because they are handy in electronic form) will find out too late that something has changed. I would like to avoid that.
Thanks,
Doug

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back