What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Facebook

dessertire

Facebook (Desser Tire's FB site)

[ed. This is about Desser Tires new Facebook page. dr]

Hello everyone. Checkout our facebook. :)

click on banner to go to page​

To receive exclusive discounts, promotions, and news only available to our supporters and fans.. all you have to do is press that like button ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps this should be in the classified forum?

On a Jeep forum that I am on, paid and approved vendors have their own forum section to post their wares and specials. Perhaps this is something that DR can think about doing.

Last edited:
I don't care about facebook either way, but I'm excited that Desser is joining the RV world. They are a great company.

Maybe we all should contact them (via facebook, email, snail mail your choice) and beg them to make a high quality replacment for the nosewheel tube?

I, too, almost deleted it. BUT, I asked our fearless leader, since it is his site, and he decided to leave it up since they are a new paid advertiser here on VAF. And we all know that we need to keep our paid advertisers happy so we can continue to have this awesome resource available to us. :)

For those anti-FaceBook folks, just don't click on the link. If you like FaceBook and want to visit Desser Tire on FB, click the link and enjoy.

My thoughts exactly. Nobody said you HAVE to click on the link! Facebook can be both a personal socializing tool as well as a valuable business tool.

Sticking up for Facebook

OK... I think someone needs to stand up for Facebook and DesserTire's use of Facebook as a storefront location.

First of all, I've had a very active Facebook account for several years. Originally I opened the account to keep track of my kids' online activities. Eventually, many of my personal friends have also gotten Facebook accounts, and we keep up with each other via FB. I find it very easy to keep up with extended family without spending hours on the telephone.

One of the downsides to FB is all of the applications that can be run. Almost everyone has heard of Farmville - I know too many people who spend countless hours growing an on-line farm on FB, and then publishing their farming successes to all of their friends. But many people don't realize that you can turn off all of the applications so that you don't get all of those annoying updates.

As for using FB as an advertiser storefront (such as DesserTires has done), it's just another way for a small company to get their product out there to as many venues as possible. Some of us would only shop from the Aircraft Spruce catalog, or from the local FBO, or from the local Fly Mart. Well, small businesses need to make their name visible in all of those venues if they're going to stay in business.

So if you don't like Facebook - don't go there.

If you like Facebook - DesserTire has a storefront location where you can look at pictures of their stock, make a decision, and purchase tires.

My name is Scott Stewart. I fly an RV-7, and I'm on Facebook.;)

I?m a fan of Facebook?I find it very useful.
But, like anything on the internet you have to use it responsibly?.always be careful what you share :) Even here.
Actually, I?m a little disappointed - I thought this post would be about a VAF Facebook page?a good idea IMO.
I would not delete this post unless it breaches a rule about advertising in the General forum.
I think relevant advertising can have a place in the forum?but maybe it?s an issue that needs to be considered further.

I too was excited and thought it was about a VAF page on FB.......with the mods comments of general discontent towards FB, for whatever reason, I doubt it will happen

I use Facebook to keep in touch with friends and family. If I didn't like that Desser was using it, I wouldn't click the link. Just because some don't like FB doesn't mean Desser shouldn't use it and post their link on VAF. Kinda falls under the "if you don't like the political talkshow host on the radio station you are listening to....change the station"

I encourage the companies that are paid advertisers on my site (like Desser) to post in the forums. If Desser wants to use facetube, or twittube or YouPage (or whatever) as a tool to better communicate with their customer base, and let them know about it in here, I think that is a GREAT idea! I think the fact that Carlo S. from Desser took me up on my offer to create an account in the forums to better communicate with the VAF community is wonderful!!!

Facebook can be a very useful tool for a company to communicate with their customer base - as a data point my wife uses it almost exclusively (link) to promote her homemade jewelry.

As for the thought that this will somehow release a flood of advertising by advertisers, it won't. There are only 31 paid advertisers in the forums, and they haven't abused posting their news in here in the past (and if they did I would have a talk with them). I don't see them abusing it in the future, simply using the forums as a tool to occasionally let folks know about RV-relevant specials and info. I encourage their involvement.

On the other hand, if you are not an advertiser on VAF, please do not promote your products in these forums. The VAF website brings in 99% of my family's income and it is my career. It is a business.

Thanks again Desser for supporting this site and for participating in the forums.

Doug Reeves
Site Owner

Last edited:
Love facebook, but I keep my circle of friends pretty limited. Some folks go overboard with accepting friend request from everyone and that's when things get dicey.

It's been a great tool for keeping in touch with friends, family, and renewing some old acquaintances.

In fact it was the conduit that helped many of us former USAF-types who were kids 20 year ago reconnect. We're now planning a reunion this spring and that's pretty freakin' awesome!

There's no need to bash facebook unless you've given it a truly honest attempt for a month or two. It's like anything else, it's safe unless you're stupid.

I do agree that the tone of the initial message could have been tamed down a bit. But you get what you pay for and if they support the site, they get a few extra privileges. I'm okay with that. I'd rather see the =VAF= sponsors be successful and have =VAF= than have nothing at all.

I've ran a few large forum-related sites and we've got a pretty good thing going here. It's a hard dance to balance between content and sponsorship. But without sponsorship, content would never exist.

Phil

Back