What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New builder

mbetti

Just received my empenage kit today, wing kit still on order. Instructions talk about peeling off the blue coating right away. I see pics of other builders just cutting out the rivet lines for some reason.
When I built a Murphy Elite a few years ago, I peeled the wrap off as I built each item. Some of it was pretty tough going too.
What's the best way to go here?
Thanks,
Mike

Congrats on your building adventure. What kit did you go with? From what I have read, most builders keep it on as long as possible to protect the skins for gouges and such.

Good luck and don't forget to post your RV GRIN!!!!

New Builder

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the club. I left the plastic on tile the part was complete and then pealed it all off, some say it becomes harder to remove after it ages. I just got back from the UP last night, and hope to make it up there one more time before the snow flys. When I fly up I park over at Kubicks. I've been meaning to join your chapter but never seem to be around when you have meetings and events. Some day.

I've seen that rv at kubicks at times. I'm building a rv7. I built the empenage for a 10 a couple years ago for a friend of mine. I been flying the Elite at imt for several years now if you seen it. I won't start any building until after the first of year, other irons in the fire yet.
Mike

Mike,

Most builders use a soldering iron and a straightedge to remove strips of the vinyl from the rivet lines. Polish the tip of the soldering iron on your scotchbrite wheel before using it and occasionally thereafter to keep from scratching the skin. Be careful removing the rest of the vinyl from thin skins like the rudder. You can pull with enough force to bend the skin if you're not careful. I used a wood dowel and wrapped the edge of the vinyl around it, and then rolled the dowel carefully to pull it up.

Welcome to VAF! Please keep us posted on your progress!

I removed my plastic. I have yet to understand the point of leaving it on... to keep the surface from getting scratched? What do you think they are going to do when they paint it? They are going take a scotchbrite pad to the surface!

FWIW, I had some slight corrosion issues by leaving the plastic on during the tail kit... it traps moisture onto the skin. So I remove all of mine. Dont waste ur time cutting the rivet lines. Just do what Vans says, peel it off, and build on.

Welcome to the club! :)

I was thinking the same thing. Never had trouble with the elite build as far as scratching panels goes.

I removed my plastic. I have yet to understand the point of leaving it on... to keep the surface from getting scratched? What do you think they are going to do when they paint it? They are going take a scotchbrite pad to the surface!

FWIW, I had some slight corrosion issues by leaving the plastic on during the tail kit... it traps moisture onto the skin. So I remove all of mine. Dont waste ur time cutting the rivet lines. Just do what Vans says, peel it off, and build on.

Welcome to the club! :)

what he said, going to be scuffed any way, and now come to find my lower outer wing skin has coroson under the blue wrap!

My wife and two kids spent three weeks doing the complete kit...

it has made my build go alot quicker. I tried the soldering iron and decided I would rather spend that time building. Yes, some have gotten scratched. I have not lost a bit of sleep. Like others said as well as Van's...remove it. It does get a little harder to remove with age but a hair dryer helps it let go better. Have fun!

While some comments offered here clearly suggest otherwise, I am NOT going to make the assumption you plan on painting your RV. For all I know, you may decide to polish it instead. If you do decide on polish, consider my first hand up close and personal experience with long attached vinyl covering.

w6pmvp.jpg

My RV is likely the first RV ever to take flight with its protective vinyl almost completely intact. Not only that, I did not cut out the traditional strips of vinyl along the rivet rows like everybody else does. No, I did it the hard way.....by heating a small circle around every single rivet hole, then removing the remnant using nothing more than my thumbnail. Usually, I did all that with a random skin pulled from the crate, positioned upon my lap while seated in front of the TV set. :p

29wkh0y.jpg

That "waste of time" might seem overly, even grossly anal to most builders and for those builders it probably is. Still, I did manage to build the standard kit airplane in slightly less than 24 months of actual labor so the manner in which I chose to deal with the vinyl did not account for nearly as much time as some less anal builders might inaccurately assume (there's that word again).

The RV-8 flies wonderfully and with all of 4 hours TT on it now, I finally got around to removing its clad of vinyl, all of it in place for at least 4-5 years that the kit was in my possession and who knows how long the vinyl was in place before that. That said, working alone it did take me the better part of an hour to completely remove all traces of vinyl from the airframe but in my defense, there was a lot of vinyl to remove. Still, what should be obvious to anyone is taking less than one hour to remove all traces of it shouts out loud and clear that peeling it away was (for me at least) a non-event, especially when one considers the morning temperature was 62? meaning the airframe was relatively cool and the vinyl significantly stiffer and less pliable than if warm.

33aapea.jpg

Because I plan to at least partially polish the RV, having protected the skins the way I did will VASTLY lessen the time it will take to bring out the shine without having to spend a lot of time dealing with inevitable scratches and blemishes that would have almost certainly occurred if unprotected skins were exposed to a typical shop environment over an indefinite period of time. Those who polish their aircraft know exactly what I am talking about. Also worthy of note and contrary to some reports, upon the vinyl's removal I observed absolutely no corrosion whatsoever.

So what do we make of all this? After all, Van's does recommend removing the vinyl. Keep in mind that Van's does have to address a worldwide audience. That is a very large tent encompassing a wide variety of climatic conditions. If I lived near salt water or other less forgiving environment, I likely would have removed the vinyl per Van's suggestion. Now I am not going to suggest you do what I did. That would be irresponsible. But I am suggesting that just because this builder or that builder reports trouble removing the vinyl, so too will you. Horse hockey! In my experience, large areas of vinyl peeled off in sheets....literally....in sheets. Alas, after shedding its protective vinyl for good, as of today my RV-8 adopted the look of almost every other unpainted RV out there. But for awhile at least, LuLu stood alone and sure looked cool sporting that unique and distinctive shade of blue! :D

Like everything else when it comes to building RV's, consider what others have to say about this and about that. In the end, however, it is our own inner voice that really counts.

Last edited:
Rick,
At the risk of thread creep... How much did the pile of blue plastic weigh?

And of course, Welcome Mike!

...... How much did the pile of blue plastic weigh?....
Bruce,

Stuffed into a single garbage sack and using my postal scale, it was difficult to accurately weigh the vinyl with a high degree of precision. Weighing about 4 pounds (slightly more or slightly less), the total weight of the removed vinyl was not as heavy as I expected.

Back