What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

St. Simons

BlackRV7

Well Known Member
St.Simons (KSSI) seems more than a little intriguing, anybody care to relay a few thoughts, impressions, things to not miss.....etc., etc. Seriously, this does look like a place to visit, just a 2.5 hour hop from home. Care to chime in with any experiences.

Thanks

Nice and laid back

Dana,
I used to live on St. Simons and it is a charming place to live/visit. You can stay at the Cloister, a ten star resort, but it is a bit pricey. Room rates are listed at $700 a night, but I heard that they are giving some deep discounts lately because of the slow market. Next in line is the King and the Prince hotel, right on the beach. There are a few other motels a little inland and they are all fine. The beach is not the best feature of the island; it is the marshlands between the island and the mainland. Sea Kayak tours are a must. The village area is small, but charming. It is also fun to go crabbing off of the adjacent pier. The restaurants are generally very good. There are several in the village. If it is still around, the Red Barn was great. There are even a few good restaurants on the mainland in old Brunswick village. Side trips to Jekyl, Cumberland and Sapelo Islands are a must. Each has its own charm. Check out Jamie Painter's posts on his trip to Jekyl. Don't expect any high rev action or frantic night life. Just a nice place to be. Also, an air tour of the area is beautiful from Savannah (also another great side trip, with a fantastic historic district) to Jacksonville.
Have fun,

What Steve said.....but...

....if you don't like crowds, go to Jekyll Island, 2 minutes south. A Mr. Richard van Iderstein runs the FBO and rent cute red bug electric cars. He's a Delta pilot doing the Atlanta-Mumbay runs when he's not there...neat guy.

There is also the only turtle hospital on the east coast with 10-12 turtles getting medications/surgery, etc. A very laid back, low/no crime place where the rich and famous Goodyears, Morgans, etc spent their time away from the cold northern winters in the late 1800's. Their fancy homes are now available to rent for stays...a beautiful place.

Regards,

Last edited:
Dana,
I used to live on St. Simons and it is a charming place to live/visit. You can stay at the Cloister, a ten star resort, but it is a bit pricey. Room rates are listed at $700 a night, but I heard that they are giving some deep discounts lately because of the slow market.
Have fun,

Agh, they better offer some deep discounts:eek::D

Thanks for the reply and yours Pierre. It looks like the perfect place to enjoy a combination of things from kayaking to diving along with some beautiful scenery to fly over. The opportunity to fly to Hilton Head, Jekyll, Savannah just adds to the allure.

I think a pin gets put on the map for this island.

Since you're placing a pin

...just south of Savannah is absolutely beautiful all the way to Florida. Eagle Neck (dot org) is a fly-in community 30 miles south of Savannah and to the east, Barbour Island, a 2900' grass strip/fly-in community. Below St. Simon's/Jekyll, there are more private strips and the inlets and marshes are camera worthy for sure....all within minutes in an RV.

We never tire of going there.

Regards,

savannah

I give savannah tours if you are interested and make it here. we always start at the brewery. the stories are more interesting that way.

Savannah

I give savannah tours if you are interested and make it here. we always start at the brewery. the stories are more interesting that way.

James:

Your invitation to visit N. GA. still stands. Becky and I wan't to get to Savannah sometime this summer.

Dana: What time frame are you looking at:

You guys PM me!:D

James:

Dana: What time frame are you looking at:

I don't know, it would be sometime this summer, probably in July if we pull it off. I'll post something here shortly and see if anyone else is interested.

James, I like the way you start your tours:D

Dana,
I have been to both and think Jekyll is nicer. Small airport, rent the 'lectric cart, ride to the beach, stroll the grounds where Carnegie, Morgan, and Ford vacationed, lunch on the pier. Very relaxing. :)

Back