- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 09-02-2019, 06:00 AM

Default Buyer?s Etiquette

Ok, our beautiful RV-7 was almost immediately sold back to it’s original builder who flew it 1800 nm back home. It was a near perfect airplane that was beautifully built and updated to make it even better. I’m glad it worked out this way. During the few days it was on Barnstormers, I answered a bunch of calls. Most were from great people that were truly interested. Thank you. There were others though that didn’t fit that description. If you are trying to find an RV (I’m looking for a RV-8 right now), you may want to think about how you approach the seller. The following are examples of what I found to be a real turn off as a seller:

1. You don’t introduce yourself
2. 1st question - “What’s your bottom dollar.” Why in the world would I bid against myself? If you are really interested, ask and I’ll send you all of the info you request. Then, if it meets your expectations, come visit. I published the asking price, the next move is yours if, after doing your due diligence, you want the airplane.
3. Select your buyer’s agents carefully. I’ve experienced, as a seller, a real pro that you guys all know. This time, I was contacted by another guy who warned me that he has been thrown out of people’s hangars and went into detail about the confrontations. I immediately decided I wasn’t going to work with him. His customer may have missed the airplane he’s been looking for.
4. It’s ok to come look, decide it’s not what you want and leave. Just try to respect the seller’s time and thank them for showing you yet another beautiful RV. You’ll learn something and maybe make a friend along the way.

Thanks to all that were interested. The airplane is now EXACTLY where it belongs and the story had a very happy ending.
Old 09-02-2019, 06:47 AM

Sad to hear of your bad experiences before it all worked out okay. Human nature means there are sad examples in every potential sale -
Hope you find an 8, you'll then know it's the best of the bunch
Old 09-02-2019, 07:15 AM

Selling an aircraft can be a major PIA and I'm convinced that it is getting to be more so as time marches on. I for one don't so much mind the people asking for a bottom dollar figure, but those who immediately begin degrading the aircraft without ever having had the benefit of examining either it or the logbooks really get my goat, so to speak. I guess they are under the assumption that they have the ability to perform some sort of Jedi mind trick where they degrade the unseen aircraft and somehow the owner begins to subconsciously agree with them and immediately decides to institute a substantial price reduction.

Then there are those who want pre-buy inspections, purchase agreements, escrow accounts, insurance quotes, title searches, and seller funded flight training all for a $10,000 Cessna 150. I think you should count your blessings that your were able to sell your plane back to its builder.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:24 AM

Agree. Great guy that knew the airplane better than anyone. He and I became friends during my purchase from him.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:23 AM

Having sold airplanes, exotic cars, and various other small market items over the years, the absolute worst thing a prospective buyer can ever say to me is some variation of "what's the least you'll take for it?"

My response is always, "what's the most you'll pay for it?" I've yet to conclude a single sale with any of those yahoos.

Someone with so little familiarity with - or respect for - the process, doesn't deserve any seller's time and attention.

RV-8 N118KB (#81125) - Sold
RV-14A N114KB (#140494) - Sold

RV-14A.com
N114KB Build Site
Old 09-02-2019, 09:47 AM

When asked the question, "What's your bottom dollar?" My answer is, "Did you read the ad closely? I think I included the price!"
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Old 09-02-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbalch View Post
My response is always, "what's the most you'll pay for it?"
That was my first thought when reading this. How little will you take? How much will you pay?
Old 09-02-2019, 11:19 AM

I've bought and sold several airplanes, and I often get that same question about bottom dollar price. It is annoying, and as Ken said, I don't think I can remember closing a deal with any of them.

I usually just repeat my asking price and tell them that I will consider an offer. That's usually the last I hear from them.

Purchased July 2019: RV-6 0320 Whirlwind Ground Adjustable Prop

"We can porpoises?" -- Leo Farnsworth
Old 09-02-2019, 11:28 AM

Default Good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
That was my first thought when reading this. How little will you take? How much will you pay?
Gotta remember that. I've bought and sold a lot of vehicles. Always got turned off by that. Usually reply with the posted price. When I buy, the vehicle is closely examined while I calculate from the asking price. Then I make an offer and explain what was found. If they don't like my offer and don't want to counter, I say thank you and goodbye.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit, now FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:32 AM

All 5 bought and sold being a "firm" add buyer and "firm" price seller.

I find, aside from that, there are certain question asked, answered and appreciated by buyers and sellers that are not pita types

When those cues do not occur, it's likely a waste of time.

Reality TV ruined many a brain- they seem to think flashing half the cash if asking or starting a negotiation at XX% discount equals getting a steal at XX/2.