What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon D180/GNS430 Configuration

n38139

Well Known Member
I bought an airplane with Dynon D-10A and Autopilot with a AP74. So that I wouldn't have to change platforms I also installed a used D180 and HS34 system I bought from a guy off of VAF.

I called today and asked Tech Support what the ARINC configuration for the GNS430 should be an the Tech said there was no information on how to set up the GNS430 nor do they publish anything. The tech told me I would just have to figure out how to set up the 430 myself and they couldn't / wouldn't help me. I looked in the Skyview manual and it tells you exactly how to set up the 430 so it will talk to the Dynon.

So does anybody know how to set the ARINC labels in the 430 so it will talk to my D180. Apparently Dynon doesn't have a clue.............

Check Dynon site

I have the settings for a 480 vice 430 but the ARINC should be the same. I think if you check the Dynon support pages they actually give the wiring diagram. Here are the 480 settings:

IN

SEL SPEED SDI

1-None None All
2-EFIS Low SYS 1
3-None None All

OUT

SEL SPEED SDI

1-GAMA 429 Low All
2-VOR/ILS Low All

It is my understanding you can set SPEED to Low or High with no difference in operation. These are the settings I use in a Glasair which will fly coupled approaches including ILS and RNAV (GPS) to LPV standards. I am about to install the same unit in an RV4 and will use the same settings. When wiring your 430 pay close attention to the serial port assignment if it is WAAS. The 480 will output ADSB+ required for ADS-B position to an ADS-B transceiver (eliminating the need for a separate and additional ADS-B GPS antenna) but will only do so on port 3. In my case I will reserve RS 232 TX3 for this. The 480 has 8 serial ports so there are plenty to accomplish the other things needed.

I did have a D-180/HS-34/Garmin 420W in my plane. (I have since upgraded to SV) I used the Dynon and Garmin install manuals for reference on the configurations. It all worked nicely.

Back