What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

High CHT

autoglide

Well Known Member
Just curious..... have had a single CHT probe on #3 cyl (IO540). Recently added a probe on #1....which runs about 50 degrees hotter (avg 375-395 F) on a rather hot day....OAT about 80 at 4500'. #3 runs 345-350.
I would have thought that #1 would be the cooler, not hotter cyl. Aircraft is a tightly cowled Harmon Rkt. All baffling in good shape and the gauge is an E.I. ....which are pretty accurate gauges. Could P factor be the culprit? ... since both cyls are on the right side.
All comments to this subject appreciated.....thx

How do you lean.

It was the same for me when i was stopping to leaning at firt cylinder that was peaking.
Since then i went with the flow reatrictor of airflow performance and i run lean of peak.
All my cylinder are peaking at 0.1 gal/hre difference and i run lean of peak and all my cht are now equal.
I think before that i only had one cylinder at peak and the others were at different level rich of peak so they were all producing different level of power and heat. And me too the no1 was the hottest. Io-540 rv-10

Assuming fuel flow has been optimized and you do not have an induction leak, you might need to lower the air ramp in front of the #1 cylinder.

Back