What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First GoPro Attempt

cmdro

I finally got to try out the GoPro my wife got for my birthday. Here is a time lapse flight from Monterey, CA to Rosamond, CA, which is just outside of Edwards AFB (Thanks again Rosie for the help finding a hangar) at 11,000ft. The 1.5hr flight is distilled down to about 3min w/ some tunes by Beck added.

On a side note, I love how great the RV community is. I ran into a VAF'er (is that even a word?) at the Monterey Jet Center. When I was going in to pay my fuel bill I heard him asking about the RV-8 parked on the ramp (mine), which lead to a great conversation, a free shirt, and a tour of his "other" plane (Challenger).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1IvYlfIi-g

Thanks for the call-out Chad! Rosie

Last edited by a moderator:
Great Video

Nice Video! Get one of the neutral density filters for your GoPro. Using one will eliminate the prop slice / bent prop effect. It makes all the difference.

Nice video!

If you decrease the time between shots, and also increase the frames per second on the final video, you will have a video that's the same length of time, but smoother.

It definitely takes some playing around with different settings to get things just right!

Could you please explain further???

Nice Video! Get one of the neutral density filters for your GoPro. Using one will eliminate the prop slice / bent prop effect. It makes all the difference.

I've never heard of this, but I'm far from a photo/video expert. Is this a lens cover or software? Thanks.

Neutral Density Filter Source

I've never heard of this, but I'm far from a photo/video expert. Is this a lens cover or software? Thanks.

It's a filter that goes over the lens. The purpose is to reduce the shutter speed of the camera and thus produce a more natural prop motion effect. You can order ND filters in a range of density. Lighter may not accomplish the goal. Darker may result in other elements of your video being blurred. Select a mid range filter or choose one of the kits that allows you to adjust the density level. If you'll be putting your camera in the windstream, make sure the filter fits securely. Here's the one I use - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ro_p1004_neutral_density_for_motorsports.html

It works well and fits the standard case very tightly.
Hope that helps,
Randy

Back