What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Strange propeller..

Palamedes

Well Known Member
I was driving past my local small airport (or one of them anyway) and I saw a plane on the tarmac that had what I can only describe as a "strange" prop. Or atleast one I hadn't seen before on a small aircraft.

It looked more like the screw you'd find on a modern submarine than what I think of more as a traditional prop on a small aircraft like a C172 or something.

I wish like heck I had taken a picture but I was going 50mph at the time and driving so.. probably a bad time to whip out a camera.. =p

Anyway google submarine screw and look at the sudden sweeping curve and you'll know what I mean.

It looked like a 4 blade prop.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Maybe something like this:

crazy_plane_design.jpg

I'd love to know a little about this plane. Looks like two V-8's in a row with two exhaust fan blades on the front.:eek:

It's called the RP-4, it was designed to break the speed record for piston engine aircraft. There's an article about it and a few other home brewed aircraft here: http://www.popularmechanics.com/fli...-daredevil-pilots-who-build-their-own-planes/

That one by Notorious Nate scares me. Part of me hopes somebody just photo-shopped a Questair Venture

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...8B559E0988482043D0A15C4EB2F&selectedIndex=146

It scares me too. I don't know the status of it as I believe the owner was killed in an unrelated plane crash.

While this wasn't the plane (Yikes!) the prop is close (just one of them) to what I saw.

Seriously though these props look like something in my A/C unit outside..

It had this kind of deep blade with a large curve..

It was supposedly a NASA designed propeller for high RPM/tip speed applications. I don't know anything more about it than what the article that I linked in my other post says.

Club Prop?

Any chance it was a test club prop? Some of them look like a submarine screw and a corkscrew created an offspring.

Rose

David Rose was the registered owner of a racing biplane that crashed fatally at Reno in 2007. Another pilot was flying the biplane. The accident was a pre race test flight.
I presume there has been a lack of interest in the Unlimited airplane since then.

Any chance it was a test club prop? Some of them look like a submarine screw and a corkscrew created an offspring.

OH ya know what.. I bet that's what it was..

It was wildly sweeping.. something like this;

file_46_1__48233_zoom.jpg

But even more sweeping than that.. like a submarine..

It must have been a test prop..

Back