What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Warning Garmin Pilot Canada

Lan Vinh Do

Well Known Member
Hi
I bought garmin pilot for canada. I was using foreflight but i bought flightstream that need garmin pilot so i tought that i would switch to garmin pilot.
It said that it have canadian navigation data... It's true but.... There is all the approach plate and navigation data BUT NO IFR LOW OR HIGH CHARTS AND NO VNC. all of this is avalable with foreflight. Major turn off for me. I know that foreflight is a little more expansive but it's simply not avalable with garmin.

I am not saying that it's a bad apps. It's easy to use and you have all what you need IF YOU LIVE IN THE US. In canada, you still need your paper chart open to fly enroute.

I hope they plan to upgrade if they want the canadian market. I would not mind to pay an extra to have these chart but if it's not avalable, i don't know why canadian would buy it.

Yup; so far Foreflight is the ONLY outfit that has gone to the trouble and expense to jump through Nav Canada's hoops to get access to official Canadian chart data. Apparently it took them 2 years of work (and a lot of money) to meet navcan's conditions. Others may (and should) follow, but for now your option is Foreflight, Foreflight, or Foreflight for official Canadian e-charts.

canadian chart

They should add the canadian chart soon or at least let people know if it's a plan for the futur or not. Because when you try foreflight, you don't look back. I only change for the flightstream and now, i will need to continue with foreflight AND garmin pilot unless i decide to put the flightstream for sale.

If i new it before, i am not sure i would have buy the flighstrem.

Yup; so far Foreflight is the ONLY outfit that has gone to the trouble and expense to jump through Nav Canada's hoops to get access to official Canadian chart data.

Not quite. FltPlan Go has all of the Canadian VNC, VTA, and CFS data now.

And it's FREE.

Another vote for FltplanGo on a Nexus 7. I use it as a map rather than a navigator as I find waypoint entry to be a bit of a challenge while flying. That's a learning curve item - I just find it easier to do point-to-point nav on my Lowrance 2000 and supplant its expired database with more current info from the FltplanGo charts.

i am happy now. All canada chart available.

:DI was updating my data yesterday and i remarked that the canadian IFR enrolute and VNC chart are now available.
I also try the Flightstream 210 with my 430w. Easy to fill the flight plan on the ipad and send it to the 430. I love this.

Last edited:
Back