What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First time aerobatic competitors

WillyEyeBall

Well Known Member
Congratulations to Patric Coggin, flying his RV-4 in Primary for the first time at the recent Lamar, CO aerobatic contest. If the weather permits, I should be participating at the IAC contest in Rome, GA this weekend. For those that have competed before, would like to hear how you and your RV were welcomed. If you don't want to post on vansaf, e-mail or PM me. For me it started as something on my bucket list, and now I'm hooked as long as I still have my bucket.
Cheers,
Bill McLean
RV-4 Slider
lower AL:)

Not sure why this thread was closed earlier ???, but now that's it's re-opened, I will wish Bill good luck in Rome, and more importantly some good fun with good buddies.

Congrats! Everyone I've met at a competition has been very accepting and friendly to all.

I did my first competition last year, lots of fun and good people.

You can always buy a bigger bucket!

I was at the Lamar contest...volunteering, since my RV is in the paint shop and my instructor and her S-2C were also not in attendance, I had no bird to fly. It was great meeting Patric, listening to his Warthog stories over beers (also an A-10 driver), and watching him fly the RV in competition.

I guess I have to stop lurking...

I guess I have to stop lurking if my name is mentioned...

My advice is to do it if you have the proper training and experience. I found everyone more than friendly. If you have a question, then just ask. Many folks don't want to overload you with information so may not volunteer advice, so be ready to solicit that knowledge.

I will also say I found many people excited about having RVs in the competition. A lot of curiosity how the RVs can do and interest in getting more involved.

As an aside...there was an Extra in the primary competition with me at Sherman last weekend. It was extra sweet to place ahead of him!

Cheers,
Balls

Congratulations Patric Coggin

Patric placed FIRST in Primary in an RV-4 at the Lone Star competition against 11 competitors. I can tell he's gotten the bug and will soon be moving up to Sportsman. No one is really surprised that an RV can do well in aerobatic competitions with a lot of practice.
Cheers,
Bill McLean
RV-4 Slider
Lower AL

Sportsman

Good to remember that Giles Henderson was almost untouchable for many years in the 85 hp clip wing Cub. One of close competitors was a Dart, with I think a C125 Contintental. IIRC the Dart also flew intermediate.
Then there was Harold Neuman with the Warner powered Monocoupe, he couldn't really compete with either the Cub or the Dart.
The Clip wing Taylorcraft of course should have been outlawed as being unfair competition. The best low power aerobatic airplane of all time. Duane Cole flew his T Craft in a world contest when it only had 85 hp. neal Williams flew a Cosmic Wind, Continental 85, with no inverted systems, in a world contest.
RV's are superior to all of these except the T Craft.
I know that Lew Shattock flew Intermediate in his RV8 some years ago and he might have flown Advanced.

t craft

One of the best airshow routines I ever saw was Sid Nelson in a clip wing t craft. At the end he floated down inverted on final and then rolled upright and landed. The whole routine was low and slow and show center.

CM

Warren

I was introduced to Warren last year at Oshkosh. Super guy. His dad used to fly in the Oshkosh Airshows in a Starduster II. Perished in a tragic accident in thunderstorm in a Navajo.

I guess I have to stop lurking if my name is mentioned...

My advice is to do it if you have the proper training and experience. I found everyone more than friendly. If you have a question, then just ask. Many folks don't want to overload you with information so may not volunteer advice, so be ready to solicit that knowledge.

I will also say I found many people excited about having RVs in the competition. A lot of curiosity how the RVs can do and interest in getting more involved.

As an aside...there was an Extra in the primary competition with me at Sherman last weekend. It was extra sweet to place ahead of him!

Cheers,
Balls

It's worth mentioning that Patric recently competed in the Sportsman category at the U.S. National Aerobatic Championship in Sherman, Texas. The only RV participant! Well done Balls. :)

Back