What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Petit Jean Mountain Fly-In / Camp-in Good Time Nov 4-6

BillSchlatterer

Well Known Member
Petit Jean Camp-in Fly-In ...is on the calendar! Ross and Doug have conferred and approved Fri, Sat, Sun .... November 4, 5, and 6th. Ask them about star gazing on the runway? Hoping that the crew from last year and many more will show for a great weekend of flying, camping, socializing, and general RV Good Timing :) Put it on your calendar and plan to play! Come Friday afternoon if you can or Saturday if you can only make it one night! Hope someone will post a few pictures from last year! Just a bunch of RV folks camping, cooking, swapping lies and talking airplanes!

There is a general plan for those that can to fly in Friday afternoon arriving in time for dinner. The folks at the Rockefeller Foundation who sponsor the airport campground along with the Arkansas Aero Commission have offered a BBQ Brisket/Rib dinner at the Boathouse on the lake for anyone that comes Friday afternoon. We expect 6-8 planes from the Mid South group and it would be great if we had some of the Central Texas group just like last year.

Jay, Danny, Scott,... if you could drag Doug and make Ross take a little time off we would have a big flock of something :) going on!

Local EAA 165 will provide Coffee, donuts, and gereral breakfast stuff on Saturday morning. We will have a couple of suburbans for those that want to camp or take a tour of the Rockefeller car museum during the day. Might have some fly out activities but mostly just hanging around the campsite and doing airplane things....flying, twisting, turning, formating checking airplanes, etc. We expect a few of the folks from the Formation Clinic held in Pine Bluff on the 16 of October to amaze us with thier newly learned skills.

We will have the big cooker there, charcoal, etc and provide lunch Saturday in the form of dogs and burgers and soft drinks. Same gig as last year!

The gala :) Saturday Night Steak Out will be at the campground and all you need to bring is meat. EAA will provide fire, baked potatoes, salad and fixings. Our mission is to make it EASY for folks to fly in and camp. Bring camping gear or there are some cabins available locally.

Come mid-Day Saturday if you can't make it Friday afternoon, aero-socialize Saturday, hike Sunday morning (transportation provided and free) and scoot when you feel like it.

Ross and Doug have promised to promote and EAA 165 will provide the ground support and guarentee a low effort high output good time! All we need is some sunshine and a flock of RVators :)

More details as somebody thinks of them...:rolleyes:

Bill S on behalf of Ross B :)
RV7a 74 hours since Jan 2

Last edited:
Hi All-

I had planned to attend last year but could not at the last moment. Was wondering how cold it got at night as my sleeping bag is not rated for very cold weather. Will reservations be necessary? Any fee to camp? Sounds like a great time for all!

Peter K
9A-340 hrs
Union City TN

Uh, yeah, we are planning on being there! But this year, if it looks like it is going to be cold, (hard to imagine right now) we are bringing a long extension cord and an electric blanket. We will fight Danny for a power socket.
I'll be fresh from safety pilot duties from the formation clinic, my first time being a tag-along since Tanya is performing as formation trainee. She calls herself "orange scary" right now.

I'm not sure I can keep up with all that, so you might end up just finding me in sitting in a chair sipping on a glass on wine. Looking forward to a fun weekend.

Now, where is that patch kit for the air matress. It must be in the airplane room somewhere...

Where do people park their planes. The airnav picture does not show a lot of ramp space.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KMPJ

By campground do you mean by the runway or the main park campground? Where are people staying?

Looks like west of the runway at the approach end of Runway 3.

Last edited:
Cabins available - maybe ?

There might be a few cabins available locally but we haven't got the details yet. (Yes we have - check other thread titled Petit Jean Fly-in ROOM UPDATE) There will be transportation in the form of a couple of suburbans and some of the campers will drive and pick up so that isn't a problem.

The campground has nice showers and restrooms just for the camp area. Electricity at most of the campsites but there are lots of uses for 50ft extension cords :) Real campers think electric blankets are for sissys but hey, we like it toasty ! Check out the fire place pix!!

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/6mlvw7Mly0VkOR2WjUag2QBLsjEznmY3Zm8XLObMmMM?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Y6Q-CVsRuleG36znwDlv_ABLsjEznmY3Zm8XLObMmMM?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/VE5HGyFI5G2R9t3W2tnx0CvSf-HqUj_nOaXagEMBVag?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/BillSc...9mW_pyhJQ&feat=directlink#5651631284575077714

Info on the park!

http://www.petitjeanstatepark.com/gallery/

Hiking Trails

http://www.petitjeanstatepark.com/things_to_do/trails_overlooks.aspx

Airport Info

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KMPJ

There will be coffee, bottled water, and soft drinks available on site 24x7 (same price as last year!) It's really easy to camp. You don't have to haul ice, fire wood, charcoal, coolers or any of the messy stuff. Just load the wagon, start the fan and head on up.... or down... or west from OK! Your campsite is 20ft from your personal RV parking spot!

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/R9HP-sKkz6-3wEHkaC0TuivSf-HqUj_nOaXagEMBVag?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/uLniyHOYYrYGFReP3gnofyvSf-HqUj_nOaXagEMBVag?feat=directlink

Bill S

Last edited:
Count us in.
Nann & I are really getting into the flying/camping thing after Yellowstone & Triple Tree.
We've always wanted to go to Petite Jean.
We'd look at flying in on Friday.

Bill, great post, thanks again for you and your EAA group taking the lead on this! I'll be there unless duty calls again..

Hey Tanya, Petit Jean is only two months away and nobody's begging for cookies yet!

Does anyone stay at the lodge and is there a way to get back and forth.

Camp with us,,, you might miss all the camp fire stories if you retreat to a safe,,, bed and breakfast.

Carol and I will try to be there,,,, WX permiting.........

Reserved

It's booked on our calendar. Air mattresses and subzero sleeping bags are ready to go.

Correction

Hey Tanya, Petit Jean is only two months away and nobody's begging for cookies yet!

Correction: You might end up just finding me in sitting in a chair sipping on a glass on wine...munching on a cookie. Better?

It's booked on our calendar. Air mattresses and subzero sleeping bags are ready to go.

SubZero?
How cold is it there in Nov?
I noticed the campfire pix & everyone was bundled up.
We're coming from Florida. I'll have to check my sleeping bag rating. I'm sure it's not zero.

I'll be there...

I'm planning on coming this year, I missed out last year. Probably going to have to drive as renting wouldn't make sense as high as the rates are in Arkansas. :(

The Helming's in their RV-7 "Sun Seeker" and the Eberhart's in our RV-7A "Sky Terrier" will be flying in Friday and staying at the Conference Center. Thanks for all the work in getting the rooms arranged.

Well since we got weathered out of LOE, I am going to see if I can fly up on Friday for the night. Louise has a work commitment, and I am still workign my schedule - and we both have to RTB (Polly Ranch) for our Airpark's annual BBQ/Airplane Ride event by noon on Saturday...but if the stars align, you might see me sitting on ramp or by a tent on Friday afternoon. Finger's crossed on Wx....and if I make it, I'll bring the roll of RV-1 stickers! Have you thought about contributing yet?

Paul

I am trying to adjust some scheduling conflicts to drive down on Saturday. We'll see. I've already received the rolling eyeballs from my wife and daughter when I suggested it. :)

I'd like to meet some of the other Arkansas builders and put faces to names.

Weather

The 10-day forecasts are out and the Petit Jean weekend looks about as good as it can get. Yes, it's a ways out, but at this point things are very promising.

Iron - see you there - Danny and Martha Jane, and I, are also looking at Friday arrival.

Maybe we can find the Northwest Passage this year...

I really wanted to come this year but my schedule at the Proton beam therapy center in Bloomington IN, (and a slow Cherokee) precludes it. Next year for sure!

Is it bad form to show up with anything other than an RV if you are still building? I do not want to pull a VAF faux pas!

Building ???

Craig, most of the RV drivers I know are still building..... usually it's the same plane they are flying. :rolleyes:

The fun goes on but the building never seems to stop! I bet you can't find one RV'er in 10 that won't tell you they are planning on doing something to their ride no matter how nice it is! :)

Come on down!

Bill S
7a GTGrin

Last edited:
The park website says they have 5 camping spots for fly in visitors. So after the first five, where do the rest camp?

The park website says they have 5 camping spots for fly in visitors. So after the first five, where do the rest camp?

It may get a little cozy, but there is square footage for at least 45-50 tents.

Looking good!

Leave work at 1:30pm
Hope to be wheels up by 2:20pm for arrival by 4:30pm.
Got the plane loaded accept for a few things I've put together tonight, like a very warm blanket, to put inside the sleeping bag, and a few snacks.

Friday

Carol and i have the Cessna 180J 'Paul Revere' packed and ready for the trip. The RV8 'Borrowed Horse' is down for some maintence or we would fly it.
Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Last edited:
Saturday Morning for us

Barb and I cannot get away any earlier, so we will be there around 10:00 Saturday. Looks like Rwy 31 may be the active, so I'll taxi down to the south end to check for a spot. Otherwise it will be taxi back to the FBO parking at the north end and a short hike.

Made it!

Low clouds all the way, had to fly at 1500' just a few mile before I got here it opened up with unlimited ceiling right over the airport. Camping out got a real warm blanket in my sleeping bag and I'm nice and comfy. Got some nice pictures that I'll post when I get home.

We're home safe. It was a great time.

If you find yourself with a kamikaze gyro-copter pilot auto rotating down right on top of you on the runway on your takeoff roll, please first ask him for his name (so I can talk to him later), then put all the power in, just like Tanya did, to get out of his way. We've been rapidly building an event no-go list (this one not on that list yet) for just such stupid pilot tricks that seem to be attracted for some reason. Moral of the story, whatever it is, don't let it be you :).

Back home

I made it home also. Found a hole got on top and about 35-40 minutes later it was clear sky's above and below me. Got a tip from the Indiana guys about some cheap fuel at KTKX $4.39. I'll post some pictures in a few day. I went up and a little too fast today, I still can't hear just right. Nice getting to meet all my Internet friends.

Big Thanks to Bill Schlatterer and his group for putting on Petit Jean 2011

Those that weren't able to make it to Petit Jean State Park this weekend sure missed a great gathering of RVs and RV People. Those that enjoyed camping camped and those of us that prefer an Inn stayed in the gorgeous Winthrop Rockefeller Convention Center and Inn. We were well taken care of and will definitely head back there next year.

00005.jpg

00006.jpg

00009.jpg

00010.jpg

00011.jpg

00016.jpg

00017.jpg

00019.jpg

00020.jpg

00021.jpg

Last edited:
A Terrific Fly-In!

Got home safe at 9.5 over an undercast that just didn't quit until 10 mi away from home aiport. 40-50 knot tailwind was wonderful and was the icing on the cake for a terrific weekend!
My hat is off to Bill and his helpers from EAA Little Rock and Hot Springs chapters (hope I got that right!). They all did an AMAZING job. Every need was met be it food, transportation, firewood, etc. You name it and they had it ready! The even provided LED flashlights for nighttime navigation on the campground! I have been to many fly-ins but I must say gentlemen, you really outdid yourselves! A splendid time was had by all!
I was sorry to see some of our RV folks leave on Sat due to weather at their home fields-hope you can all stay the entire weekend next year.
To all those new friends that my wife and I made during this trip thanks so much for being there and making it a great weekend!
And thanks to thoses fellas who helped me get my a/c out of the mud and onto the taxiway for departure-much appreciated!
Can't wait for next year!

Peter and Laura K (aka Peter and Laura Katz)
9A-Union City TN

Back Home!

What a wonderful fly in!!! Bill, your group went over the top with all that you all did to accomidate us. Really enjoyed meeting and getting to know some more new RV guys. I was amazed how many wifes were there. Figgins and I had to fly low back to Okla with no issues..... Can't wait till next year!!
Don Short

Thanks to everyone who posted pictures. I live close by but couldn't come due to work and my plane is being painted this weekend. I so want to be there next year.

Wow!

Cindy and I had a wonderful time!
Like others have said, Bill Schlatterer and the two EAA chapters took care of everything so well! What a well planned event.
They even had a truckload of firewood there for us!
Dinner Friday at the Winthrop Rockefeller lodge was outstanding.

We enjoyed meeting new friends and seeing old ones!

Here's a link to some of our photos.
https://picasaweb.google.com/116830546186939258398/PetitJeanFlyIn2011#

Mark

Last edited:
It was great. Bill and his crew were the best hosts you can imagine. Thank you gentlemen!

BTW, for those who enjoyed staying at the Rockefeller and might like to go back for a quiet weekend....I checked with Denita at the desk, and here's the deal. They are a conference center, not a conventional hotel resort. They will not book individual guests into any lodge already booked at 50% or more by a conference group.....the entire lodge is reserved for the group. However, if there's no conference group you can book a room like any other nice hotel.

Just now getting back online after a very long aviation weekend that started with this outstanding event - and want to add my thanks to the "Arkansas Boys" for a heck of a fly-in! As has already been mentioned - every need was taken care of I'd love to know how you arranged a hole just south of the field at 0730 for me to climb through that overcast on my way home! ;)

Looking at some of these pictures, it appears to me that there were a LOT of new airplanes on Saturday. On Friday night, I think the count was 36 airplanes - I'd sure like to know what the total was for the weekend - Bill S, when you recover you're going to have to check the records and let us know!

The best part of these things for me has always been the people and the time spent around the campfire - all the rest is really nice frosting on the cake.

Paul

Last edited:
Couple of my favorite pictures

Lots of pictues to be posted but here are a couple of my favorites and some stats. The aerial below shows 44 planes, mostly RVs on the ramp around noon Saturday. We had 36 total aircraft on the ramp staying Friday night for the BBQ. About half camped and half camped at the lodge :) LOTS of spouses at this gathering. At one time Saturday afternoon, we had 51 planes on the ramp. Lost track of actual arrivals and departures. It was a pretty big time if the smiles were any indication.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Two rows of RVs from one end of the ramp to the other. Another row facing.

RVs on every side....

The picture below was taken Saturday evening as the sun was going down. Due to weather, many had to leave early but there were still 20 planes on the ramp as the sunset!

RV Flying and Camping is all about family and this is one cute family. Meet Andrew Barker, his wife Carrie, and Madison. Andrew is the COO of Tru-trak APs, and he drove one of our vans for transport. Help greatly appreciated.

Folks scattered everwhere and nowhere, just hanging...

Well, it was about camping and sitting around a fire..... all new friends and now RV Fire Hanger Arounders :)

I think this shot of Karen Helming just about says it all ;)

It was a lot of fun for us and it is all about the RV family,... it really is more than an airplane...it's a connection to a new world full of great folks and good times to come. If you had a good time, special thanks to Jerry Homsley(RV9a), Larry Watson(RV9a), Richard Gulley(RV4/RV8),Vic Larocca(RV8), Don Moore(RV6), Randall Warren(Rv6a), Presely Melton(RV8), Phil Seiman, other EAA folks and especially Gary Greene, and Sue Thompson at the Rockefeller Conference Center.

Bill S

Last edited:
Top Drawer

This was the coolest fly in ever!!! Amanda and I had great fun on Friday and Saturday. I'm sooo sorry that we had to leave early.

Here are some pics of our new fire side friends and the Rockefeller Convention center...at least the outdoor pavilion.

IMG_4207.JPG

IMG_4209.JPG

IMG_4214.JPG

IMG_4220.JPG

IMG_4221.JPG

Full House on Saturday Morning!

Barb and I arrived just in time for Saturday burgers and dogs. We landed at Malvern (M78) for about an hour and change for weather during our northbound trek from Opelousas, LA (KOPL). We taxied up to a ramp full of good friends and fine looking aircraft. I ended up parking on the grass area by the runway which served the purpose well. Good food, good fire, good friends, and the Lodge was impressive. Thanks Bill and company!

RV Woodstock

Thanks Bill and Gang for a great weekend!

Carrie, Madi and I had a such a wonderful time. The food, friends, and fun were some of the best ever! Lots of great airplanes and new folks to chat with. Now if we just keep the yahoos away when Tanya is trying to depart, all will be perfect. ;-)

Thanks again to all who worked so hard to make this happen.

Here's are some pics from this weekend...

1e47b217.jpg

6d11ce2c.jpg

8a3ee73c.jpg

9afff5b9.jpg

6ce30a31.jpg

f12d26a8.jpg

Loaded ready to head home

Last edited:
Back