What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Edge Forming Tool... Need Help

danielhv

Well Known Member
I am literally butchering my edges with this thing. I try it on scrap, not much better. I've tried keeping it loose, making it tight, pulling at different angles, holding the work in different positions, applying pressure down on the edge, etc. No matter what I do, it slips off the edge. I've even had it work its way INTO the edge leaving a nasty crease in the metal.

I flat out cannot get this thing to work right. The ONLY way I have been able to do anything with it is to manually spin the rollers... but it moves along so slow... probably 12 inches in 30 - 40 seconds. Either I'm doing something wrong or this tool is messed up.

There has GOT to be a better way to accomplish this than these vice grip tools....

EF60-Large.jpg

Please help.

I am sure I am going to get flamed for this. I used the cheap plastic wheel on one seam on the bottom of the plane; didn't like the results. Got one like yours; still didn't like the results, so I build my RV-7A without rolling the panel edges. I REALLY like how mine came out with the exception of the two panels I rolled the edged on. Riveting the seams always snugged up the panels so here was no gap. I will stack my seams up against any RV with rolled seams.

I also bought one from Avery with the two nylon wheels

I think I used it two or three times mainly on rolled leading eges. My skin overlaps turned out just as good or better without it. On flat overlaps I don't think it is as important as on curved surfaces. So, no your not the only one. I know a few others too.

Cleaveland Edge Roller

I rolled mine using this tool with no issues. The rollers need to make solid, but not tight, contact. If the rollers aren't rolling easily it's too tight. No need to help them-just keep the edge of the skin against the roller flange and pull...

If you can't get it to work right I'd call Mike at Cleaveland and get a replacement or a refund.

Mike

In my opinion, this is the best tool for forming edges, but there is a method to using it.
Start by setting the tool to make a very slight bend on the edge and then go over it again several times, increasing the bend (turn the knob of the tool to increase pressure of the jaws) each time until you get the edge you want.
For me it works best by pulling the tool towards me. Set larger pieces on a flat table with the edge sticking out over the edge.
It provides the most consistent edge of all the tools for edge forming that I have used. YMMV
Good luck.

Last edited:
Home made tool

Take a small piece of hardwood. Cut a 3/8 " deep cut with a bandsaw blade or hack saw blade along one side. Draw the board along your metal while holding slight pressure against the metal.

What I do is to just barely tighten it so that it still rolls easy and apply presssure to the whole tool in the direction of the bend. IOW, I'm using it as a rolling hand seamer, rolling and bending as I go. I make several passes and don't try to do it in one go. The first time I used it I tightened the vice grip so tight that I could barely roll it thinking that you suppose to just pull it along and the wheels by themselves would make the bend. The end result was no bend but an ugly wavy edge. Now I get a nice uniform bend. YMMV.....

My "trick" is to clamp it on "quite" tight and then roll it slowly by using my thumbs (both hands) directly on both wheels, turning them towards me. Do not use while holding the handle! This provides absolute contol and makes a nice bend with only one pass.

I love this once hated tool.

Bevan
RV7A

Take a small piece of hardwood. Cut a 3/8 " deep cut with a bandsaw blade or hack saw blade along one side. Draw the board along your metal while holding slight pressure against the metal.

The practice kit from Van's has you build one of these, and it worked perfectly. I've been doing it ever since.

No matter what I do, it slips off the edge. I've even had it work its way INTO the edge leaving a nasty crease in the metal. Please help.

You have to guide it laterally. I "aim" it slightly inboard to the sheet and pull it along. If it pops off the side, just go again with a little more inboard guidance. To get a nasty crease, you were using way too much force. When adjusted correctly, if should be quite easy to pull along the sheet. I tighten it so that the outer, flat portion of the rollers touches the material just firmly enough to make them spin. Then clamp it on and go. Let the roller geometry create the angle - don't try to bend the sheet down as part of your manipulation. Remember that the resultant angle is quite subtle, you have to look close to see it.
As others have said, be sure and pull it, don't try to push it along. Used this way, mine is quick, painless, and reliable.

Sorry for the large picture, but this is my picture of a rolled edge on my rudder. (I'm not actually sure this is correct, but it looks pretty good on the finished rudder.)
You can't see the edge really well, but the light bounces off of it well enough to kind of get the idea.
Rolled edge:
20100401-004-large.jpg

It really helps the edge lay flat on a curved surface:
20100401-008-large.jpg

Also, if you're down at the local airport, poke around and have a look. Cessnas, at least the older ones, had this kind of edge treatment.

It's pretty mild, as N999ZA's photos show.

Dave

Call us!

I flat out cannot get this thing to work right. The ONLY way I have been able to do anything with it is to manually spin the rollers... but it moves along so slow... probably 12 inches in 30 - 40 seconds. Either I'm doing something wrong or this tool is messed up.

I would say that you have a defective tool. We are always here and eager to help with advise and product support.

Probably just technique, I cussed that tool every time I used it. Finally on the last skins of the build I pretty well mastered it.

Back