What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HS-707, Use it or redo it?

JeffZn

I'm New Here
Recent new builder here who is trying to figure out what constitutes good enough. :eek:

I've been working on the horizontal stab and I'm in the process of riveting in HS-707 to the skin. Top rivets went in fine but bottom ones are proving to be a PITA because I can't seem to get the skin tight to the flange when I remove a cleco to rivet that hole. I was getting about a 1/16" to 3/32" gap with the cleco removed but went ahead with the riveting. I wasn't happy with the results and convinced myself I did something wrong (since I know that I'm a newbie to this) and drilled out the rivets.

Drilling out the rivets went very well with no enlarged or deformed holes on the skin. However the holes on the rib are larger but mainly due to riveting and not due to bad removal. The hole sizes on the rib now vary from .113 to .120 but the ones on the skin are from .105 to .112.

So my question is are the holes in the rib now to large to reuse?

Oops rivets

I don't know about the specifics concerning the hole size, but I do know you can get oops rivets which have the same size factory head as the AN-326s but a larger shank, usually in the 470 size (#30). In the event that rivets seem loose you can always enloarge the hole some.

Find a local Tech Counselor

It would be worth your while to find out who the local Tech Counselor is and set up a visit. They can help you determine what needs to be done and probably even help you get started.
There are probably other builders near you, too, They can be invaluable in helping you learn new skills. A big part of building is figuring out how to identify and fix mistakes.
Good luck.

Back