What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us the status of your 7/7A project!

After just under 11 months we've nearly completed our slow-build RV-7 wings! Pride was flourishing out of the hangar as we drove the last bottom skin rivet last night. All that remains is to drill/rivet the flap hinges!
Trevor Conroy CFII, MEI
Advanced Flight Systems - Tech Support

Nice. Keep pounding. Gee. Wonder what's going to be in your panel....

engine hung - again

Hung my engine again, for the second time. However, this time it has a nose gear. It's on there with undersized bolts, currently working on reaming and installing the full sized bolts.

It's pretty cool to have the airplane stand by itself the first time!

And yes, I'm procrastinating and avoiding work on the canopy frame .....

Last edited:
Empennage Finished

Well, except for the fiberglass work. :)
Moving on to the wings now!

FP26102010A00027.jpg

Well, this thing is FINALLY starting to take on some kind of shape that looks like an airplane, and not just airplane parts! I figure another year or so and people won't have to ask what I'm building anymore... it will be obvious!

IMG_0660.jpg

Canopy ready for storage

I decided to glue the canopy and get rid of the top strap. To feel better about this I also filled and glassed the front of the canopy to the frame before enclosing the whole front skirt with a formed 2024-T0 strip.
Ended up using hiloc's to eliminate any screw on the exter

ae5v8o.jpg

m8p84m.jpg

I think I spent more time working and worrying about this assembly then anything else on the plane. Now off to storage and on to FWF / Electrical :D

Jacking up the fuse for fairings

No post for me in a while...my progress has slowed down a bit. I am currently saving my piggy bank for the engine. With the airframe done I am trying to get anything completed until the engine and fwf arrive in the spring. I have now nearly finished the wheel fairings.. I figured this is as good as time as any to do so and easier to jack up the fuse with no engine.. The leg fairings are finished too just not photoed. I have a little glass work ahead of me still, but all is well.

P1020188.JPG

P1020187.JPG

P1020186.JPG

Engine hung!

Hi.

Here's a few shots of the event:

First the Lyc on it's way to it's new home:

Then it's just a matter of getting those %&*"# bolts in their holes:

This time Vans sent us Lord mounts, and those where more difficult to get in than the ones we got from Vans the last time: their usual soft ones.

But finally the Lyc was in place and we where happy:

And soon we're ready for the REAL fun; wiring and baffles... ;)

Getting there..

After a break from building I'm starting to ramp up again. Have to get it finished soon....
Jon, yes it will get done!!!
13112010012.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Mick Haynes
Australia

Fitting the wings

I was only able to fit one wing at a time. While the wing was on, I also put the flaps on, and trimmed as needed.

pb082292custom.jpg

It was a great feeling to be able to jump up on my wing for the first time.
After all my joy, I had to pull it all apart, so I could get it back inside :(

I hope to have it ready for first flight in March 2011, as I turn 40 then... wow im getting old.

Not to big of news However I did Order my Fuse Last night, Cant wait to pick it up sometime in February from the factory!!

-david

Fuselage Kit Finished!

Well, I seem to have reached another milestone. I'm at a point where I can finally declare my fuselage kit finished! I've been working slowly on little details since mating the wings a while back. And now, I don't have anything left in inventory to work on or install. It's essentially DONE!

P1000477%20(Medium).JPG

Outside for the wing mating, August 22, 2010

It's very exciting to look forward to the finishing kit, which I do not have yet. I know, I should have ordered it several months ago. I was hoping to get the canopy cut before the weather turned cold. But since the meltdown of the economy a couple years ago, my income has taken a big hit and I still haven't recovered. So money is an issue. Sad, but I'm fortunate just to have an income and be in a better position than a lot of folks out there. I'll figure something out. Jamie and I decided right from the start to not go into debt for this project, and I'm very glad we stuck to that decision. At least everything I have here is mine. It's paid for and I don't owe a nickel on it. I'd rather be patient than be straddled with payments. That's just our personal position because we have an income that isn't certain. It fluctuates. YMMV.

Anyone have a spare finishing kit lying around that I can borrow for a while? Just kidding!

looks good

Nice yard art;)

P1000477%20(Medium).JPG

But, kinda makes the garage a bit hard to park in:rolleyes:

O.K., seriously now, congrats on reaching this milestone, keep up the good work.

Painting progress

Currently putting the final touches on the paint job;).Then on to final assembly
Starting to see light at the end of the tunnel :D!!!!
My%20RV7A%20Construction%20938.jpg
My%20RV7A%20Construction%20939.jpg
My%20RV7A%20Construction%20940.jpg
My%20RV7A%20Construction%20966.jpg

Paul: Your airplane looks terrific! I've made a couple of trips to Tasmania to ride dual sport bikes---it's a beautiful place. Can't imagine how great it would be to fly over. I've covered MANY miles on the backroads of Taz. You're going to have a wonderful time with your ship!

Regards,

Lee...

paint job coming along

One rudder and two elevators now finished, the pictures don't really show just how good these are.

rudder.jpg

elevatorc.jpg

On the gear!

Nothing improves motivation like a measurable, tangible visual effect. I'd assembled the gear legs and wheels a couple of months ago, and they've been awkwardly stored in the back room since. This weekend, I put the ship up on the gear:

IMG_0737.JPG

My firewall penetrations are extremely limited in number. One SafeAir1 firewall port should take care of everything passing through and all the engine sensors go to the MGL RDAC, which is mounted on the firewall. Apologies for the floor. Been a while since it was convenient to get a vacuum under there.

Made the big move today

Very productive day in TAS today. Got VH-PRA loaded up an taken to the airport
My%20RV7A%20Construction%20852.jpg

unloaded and in its temporary hangar for the next few months
My%20RV7A%20Construction%20856.jpg

Also got the wings installed
My%20RV7A%20Construction%20859.jpg

Even though I'm in Phase 1, there is still stuff to fabricated.

Sunday afternoon, the wife and I decided it was time to tackle the interior panels. We got the upper side panels and some of the smaller panels forward of the seats mostly complete.
Then today I fine tuned the fit and built the padded armrests
RV-7build1173.jpg

RV-7build1175.jpg

Still need to fab the lower side panels with pockets and the baggage area.

finally pictures of how the 5pts look with the stick, THANK YOU

what is below your throttle controls?

your welcome. the Crow belts are fantastic. I was worried about my ample belly causing the rotary buckle to interfere with the stick. No problemo

Below my throttle is my manual trim. I have all the engine controls set up for my left hand and figured during final approach I may as well have trim, flaps, boost, etc available there also.

Engine Hangin' Today

Post #44 in this thread was a LONG time ago. Two moves and many Snfs.
Back then, I was thrilled to make the front page.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=1745&page=5

Well, today we passed one of the standard milestones. Hanging the engine.

19723244374d32565007f4d.jpg

Thanks to family, friends and EAA for the help. It was a tight fit and I could not have done it without the assistance.

More pics and info are here:

http://websites.expercraft.com/rzbill/index.php?q=log_entry&log_id=55778

Way to go, Bill

It has been a couple of years since we met you and saw your project, but looks like you are making good progress. We hope to acquire an engine this year. Come see us when you get it flying.

Post #44 in this thread was a LONG time ago. Two moves and many Snfs.
Back then, I was thrilled to make the front page.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=1745&page=5

Well, today we passed one of the standard milestones. Hanging the engine.

19723244374d32565007f4d.jpg

Thanks to family, friends and EAA for the help. It was a tight fit and I could not have done it without the assistance.

More pics and info are here:

http://websites.expercraft.com/rzbill/index.php?q=log_entry&log_id=55778

Hi Bill,

I know you through the EAA chapter in Westminster MD, great to see you get your engine hung. I am about to order my first part of a RV12.

Greetings Peter

VH-PRA

Love that rego VH-PRA. At work here, PRA = "Personal Roster Adjustment" aka having a sick day. Weather looks good, time for PRA!

Cheers,

Chris

Rolled the Canoe? and..

I rolled over the canoe and received my biggest complement yet.. One of my neighbors who helped me flip it over said: ?oh?, so you sit ?there?? and he actually pointed to the seat ! Until now, nobody has really been able to identify any part of the plane, except for the wings. ;-)
(hopefully that isn't a reflection of my building skills ;-)

After a total of 1 year 7 months into the build I rolled the canoe and am looking forward to working from the top side for a change.. Next time this baby is upside down it will be in flight !

You can see pics and check my status via the link to my build log below..

Thx

http://www.704ch.com/2011/01/flipped-canoe.html

What s going on here, its all empty !

p2082390custom.jpg

Yes, that’s because its PAINT DAY !
Here it is ready to go, note all the foam we cut so nothing will get damaged on the trip to the paint shop some 35km away.

p2072379custom.jpg

I was able to get a tilt truck to do the job all in one trip. Fuse at the front, both wings at the back, with the HS on top of the wings. All the other control surfaces are in the back of the cars ( two used )
You can also see my wing cradle, we had some space up the front, this will help the paint boys move things around.

Click on My Build Log for more pictures.

p2072384custom.jpg

Last edited:
Picked up the Fuselage Kit on the 22nd of January and here is where I'm at today. Thanks again Mike for the Help today.

-david

photo17.jpg

Awesome!

Jeff,

Congrats on the Big Move! How did you score a hanger at KPLU? Should be plenty of help there to get it flying.

Rolling is Fun!

Having lurked around for a few years it's time I put something in here that shows a little progress on my RV 7A. Having progressed to the fuselage I had a couple of friends over to help me "Roll the Canoe".

008.jpg

Up & Over

010.jpg

My first Roll!

That's me walking around the fuselage with the blue shirt. On the other side is Ken Harrell (RV 6 flying many years), my Technical Counselor and riveting partner. At the rear is Dan Heath, a KR 2 guy. Helped him build some metal fuel tanks and he has learned how to rivet. Taking the pictures is Melinda, Ken's wife and RV 7 builder.

011.jpg

Life is Good!!

Congratulations Mac,

You are doing great work and will soon catch up with us! :eek: We have to get in high gear. Keep up the good work. Really looking good.

Congrats Mac!

I will send you a Tiger Paw to exorcize the chicken curse from your work of art!

008.jpg

Up & Over

010.jpg

My first Roll!

That's me walking around the fuselage with the blue shirt. On the other side is Ken Harrell (RV 6 flying many years), my Technical Counselor and riveting partner. At the rear is Dan Heath, a KR 2 guy. Helped him build some metal fuel tanks and he has learned how to rivet. Taking the pictures is Melinda, Ken's wife and RV 7 builder.

011.jpg

Life is Good!![/QUOTE]

Back