What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HELP! Storage and packing advice needed

aparchment

Well Known Member
Guys:

Due to numerous life changes I have to figure out how to move and potentially store my plane. I am in the process of selling my house, and I will probably have to move out by the end of November. Ideally I need a place to build that is in Southern CT or Northern NY. If that's not possible, then I need storage space in that same area. Does anyone have any leads?

Also, and just as importantly, how should I wrap or otherwise prepare the plane for storage if that's the path I have to take. My movers can shrink wrap the plane for me, but I am afraid of trapped moisture causing corrosion. They could also cover it with paper then shrink wrap it, but that may be worse.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks all.

Antony

Guys:

Due to numerous life changes I have to figure out how to move and potentially store my plane. I am in the process of selling my house, and I will probably have to move out by the end of November. Ideally I need a place to build that is in Southern CT or Northern NY. If that's not possible, then I need storage space in that same area. Does anyone have any leads?

Also, and just as importantly, how should I wrap or otherwise prepare the plane for storage if that's the path I have to take. My movers can shrink wrap the plane for me, but I am afraid of trapped moisture causing corrosion. They could also cover it with paper then shrink wrap it, but that may be worse.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks all.

Antony

Well, perhaps instead of shrink wrapping, you could use the method I used for my furniture and lawn equipment?

When I moved to LR from DFW, I had alot more stuff than I had room for in the new apartment. I put it all in the hangar I am renting, but was then told I could only have airplane related stuff stored in the hangar...

So I took 2 pallets, screwed them together with 2x4's... stacked all my belongings neatly inside, bought some sheets of plywood, and built a crate surrounding all my stuff. Spray painted "RV-7 QB FUSE $$$" on it and shoved it into the corner of the hangar. :D Never heard another word!

Its been like that for a year and I just recently opened it up to get some stuff out, and there was VERY minimal dust... everything was just fine.

For the RV, you could consider that inside of a storage unit? Also you could see about getting some desiccant (maybe a 5g bucket of silica gel?) to put inside the crate to help with any possible moisture control... Just an idea. :)

More ideas and input?

Thanks guys.

I think I would have to build a pretty big box to fit everything. The fuse and HS wouldn't be too bad for a box, but the wings are pretty big.

Don I checked the pod idea, but they are as expensive as a regular storage unit.

Any more ideas on how to protect the plane during storage folks?

Antony

Thanks

Thanks guys:

I lucked out for now and my plane is hanging out in a friend's hangar with his Baron, PT22 and a couple of nice cars. She is in good hands for the time being. Now I just need to find a place in CT near my home at which I can build.

Back to the subject of preparation for storing though - doesn't WD40 evaporate? Does it really leave a protective coating?

Back