What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Proseal

dbaflyer

Well Known Member
I ordered this from Aircraft Spruce thinking it would be enough to do my entire empennage. Rudder stiffeners, trailing edge, elevator trailing edge, etc. What I did not realize is this kit mixes all at once and therefore you need to use it "almost" all at once. Is there any way to break this kit apart and separate out the two components? Then I could measure and mix each part in amounts that I would actually use at any one time.

Not sure if you got the small cartridge from Aircraft Spruce, but I found the most cost effective was the quart can from Van's made by Flamemaster. I used two cans on my fuel tanks (yes I used lots and made fillets on all the lapped joints and big dabs on rivet shop heads). I'm only now getting back to doing the trailing edges of my empennage, have finished them and the ailerons and doing the flaps. The quart can is a bit messier than the premeasured cartridges but once you get used to it not too bad. I use a Tyvek painters overall, latex gloves (usually one set to mix and another set to apply) and good respirator. I measure the components parts with an electronic postal scale and for fine work load the mix into a medical syringe (from a farm feed store) with a popsicle stick. The syringe can be reused several times, wait for the proseal to cure and then pop the plunger out with compressed air and clean the inside. Clean up with MEK.

I did not get the quart since I knew it will probably be a year before I need it for my fuel tanks. Having opened proseal around for that long wouldn't be good. This is the kit that has the white portion and black portion in a plunger mechanism. Their directions call for mixing it all at once. Has anyone had success splitting the two components and saving them in some kind of air tight enclosure. Then mixing smaller amounts (weighing it of course).

Shelf life

Despite what is indicated for shelf life, I,ve been able to keep resealed quart cans for several years. Eventually the gray part gets stiff and thats when it hits the trashcan. Otherwise it's fine. I only opt for fresh stuff on structural type parts.

I've mixed one of those little canisters, used a little and put the rest (mixed) in the freezer. after a couple weeks, it was solid.

I didn't check every day to see how long it would last. But, it of course didn't last long.

The only thing I recall using proseal on during the empenage is the AEX wedge on the rudder... :confused:

RV-9X control surface AEX

BTW here's a tip for keeping the control surfaces straight and flat on the RV-9X (and I think the -10 has the same trailing edge AEX). Once I used proseal on each side of the AEX I clecoed a piece of 1"x1"x1/16" aluminum angle (drilled to match the rivet spacing) on each side of the skin. Let cure for a couple of days. This keeps the trailing edge straight and eliminates the bulges in the skin caused by the proseal between the clecoed holes. This aluminum is cheap (about $.07/foot) at a metal supply warehouse.

BTW here's a tip for keeping the control surfaces straight and flat on the RV-9X (and I think the -10 has the same trailing edge AEX). Once I used proseal on each side of the AEX I clecoed a piece of 1"x1"x1/16" aluminum angle (drilled to match the rivet spacing) on each side of the skin. Let cure for a couple of days. This keeps the trailing edge straight and eliminates the bulges in the skin caused by the proseal between the clecoed holes. This aluminum is cheap (about $.07/foot) at a metal supply warehouse.

What he said ^. Worked great for me too... I bought the aluminum angle from the aviation department at Lowes.

img_2235.jpg

i find it funny that so many people wrap themselves up in overalls, gloves, masks, etc to work with proseal

I've nearly half sealed my right tank now, and I haven't used one glove, or one pair of overalls, if you keep focused and use 20g per rib, it is very easy to work with and keep neat/tidy. a few popsicle stick and a semco gun have been the trick for me, after running this setup, it's so easy!

i find it funny that so many people wrap themselves up in overalls, gloves, masks, etc to work with proseal....
This should not come as a surprise. RV builders are people just like everybody else. Some are good, some are bad, and some would do better to just.......

I long worked in a shop environment where applying proseal was an everyday routine fact of work life. In that environment, and exactly like RV builders working from home, some people had a natural talent to be neat and tidy working with proseal while others could smear and slop the stuff all over the place just by walking past an open tube of it. This is strictly an anecdotal observation on my part, but from what I routinely observed, women in the workplace generally tended to be far more neat when working with proseal than men. I always attributed that perception to the fact that women tended to show up for work in nicer clothes than men did and went to extraordinary lengths to keep em clean. It was in fact a seasoned female co-worker who showed me that methylene chloride could remove a proseal stain from her blouse with better results than Tricloroethane or MEK. :D

I ordered this from Aircraft Spruce thinking it would be enough to do my entire empennage. Rudder stiffeners, trailing edge, elevator trailing edge, etc. What I did not realize is this kit mixes all at once and therefore you need to use it "almost" all at once. Is there any way to break this kit apart and separate out the two components? Then I could measure and mix each part in amounts that I would actually use at any one time.

Excuse me, but do you really need Proseal for the Empennage?

But if you do need Proseal for the Empennage (or any other portion of the kit), then just keep the unmixed cannisters in the freezer for later use.

This should not come as a surprise. RV builders are people just like everybody else. Some are good, some are bad, and some would do better to just.......

I long worked in a shop environment where applying proseal was an everyday routine fact of work life. In that environment, and exactly like RV builders working from home, some people had a natural talent to be neat and tidy working with proseal while others could smear and slop the stuff all over the place just by walking past an open tube of it. This is strictly an anecdotal observation on my part, but from what I routinely observed, women in the workplace generally tended to be far more neat when working with proseal than men. I always attributed that perception to the fact that women tended to show up for work in nicer clothes than men did and went to extraordinary lengths to keep em clean. It was in fact a seasoned female co-worker who showed me that methylene chloride could remove a proseal stain from her blouse with better results than Tricloroethane or MEK. :D

i'm still sitting here scratching my head trying to figure out if you called me a woman or not.....just kiddin! yeah my first (left) tank was an example of how dirty/messy one can get, from that experience I've transitioned to the right tank and she'll be a work of art....thankfully that won't matter to anyone but me, both will be sealed tight and that's all that counts

Back