What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Accident

mayo3808

Well Known Member
Any body heard about the RV-10 accident of Todd Tswezey? Heard him and his daughter were taking to hospital in Savannah GA today. I know from an earlier post he was goint to pick her up today in Athens. Please Pray for them and family there ok.

[ed. Copies of replies w/more info from further down added here ...dr]

"The fire started in Ridgeland while he was taxiing in after landing."

"My wifes first cousin attended them....
...in the hospital in Savannah. He was told by Todd to let everyone know that they're as O.K. as can be expected. Dr. Robert Gatliff called Ray Lawrence in Sandersville, where his -7 is being built, and informed Ray that Todd had smelled gasoline, then...poof!"

"...I believe it is accurate to say, however, that Todd worked in the cockpit to put the fire out until his extinguisher gave out. He exited, the fire expanded rapidly and a short while later, the left wing tank let go. Last I heard, Todd and his daughter were doing well. I'm sure he'll check in when he's ready and tell us what really happened."

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll wait for Todd and Dave to chime in but just so everyone knows Todd and his daughter suffered significant (don't know the correct terminology) but definitely not non-life threatening burns---evacuated to Savannah by EMS. The airplane was destroyed; FAA/NTSB on scene. Todd handled everything very well as you would expect him to, but unfortunately the airplane went up very fast and is a total loss.

We'll know more tomorrow.

Lee...

Great news that they survived - very bad news about the aircraft. Keeping Todd and Daughter in our thoughts.

Paul

Great news that they survived - very bad news about the aircraft. Keeping Todd and Daughter in our thoughts.

Paul

I can't add anything more than that.

Hang in there Todd. Keep us in formed as to you and your daughter's recovery. We are all pullin for you two.

Lee, thanks for the update. Hoping for the best or Todd and his daughter right now. Burns are certainly not fun.

...but definitely not non-life threatening burns

Can you clear that up? I'm hoping you meant non life-threatening?

Updates?

In NYC this weekend. ANY updates on Todd and his daughter will be deeply appreciated. Glad to hear everyone will survive. Prayers for my friend and his family. Get well soon and let me know what I can do to help.

My wifes first cousin attended them....

...in the hospital in Savannah. He was told by Todd to let everyone know that they're as O.K. as can be expected.

Dr. Robert Gatliff called Ray Lawrence in Sandersville, where his -7 is being built, and informed Ray that Todd had smelled gasoline, then...poof! Don't know where he put her down.

Prayers sent...again,

Shocking News

Prayers for Todd and his daughter to heal quickly. I'm just shocked to hear about the accident this morning. Just talked to Todd last week comparing notes about our planes and meeting at Oshkosh. Todd, you and your daughter please get well soon.

The fire started in Ridgeland while he was taxiing in after landing.

Thanks to the holy spirit for intervening in this one.

Events are going to happen.

Sometimes the timing of what is coming down can and is tweaked just a little bit to affect the outcome. It has happened for me enough to have faith in a much high power watching over us as much as possible within the rules of life.

Glad you and your daughter are with us Todd.

Last edited:
Lee Logan from Richland called at lunch...

Apparently, Todd smelled gasoline and they had an explosion in the cockpit, on the ground, that blew the windows out and Todd's daughter bailed out the right side and over the wing, onto the ground.

Todd was trying to extinguish the fire in the cockpit when the left gas tank exploded, blowing the leading edge off!! At that point he left and the entire canopy top burned as did the interior and the left wing and firewall forward. Sounds like there was nothing recoverable....really sad,

Pierre

Wow. I'm very, very glad to read that they will both be OK. I hope the burns aren't too bad. I wish Todd and his daughter speedy and full recoveries.

Hopefully someone can find a clue to the cause in the remains so we can all learn from it.

They sure are lucky this happened on the ground. It doesn't bear thinking about what would have happened if this had occurred in flight.

Pierre: I don't think that sequence is quite right. The problem is that the "witness" has told several different versions (as is common in events like this). Unfortunately, that has thrown us off a couple of times.

So, we are all hesitant to put anything in writing that we don't know for sure. I believe it is accurate to say, however, that Todd worked in the cockpit to put the fire out until his extinguisher gave out. He exited, the fire expanded rapidly and a short while later, the left wing tank let go.

Last I heard, Todd and his daughter were doing well. I'm sure he'll check in when he's ready and tell us what really happened.

Lee...

Regardless of the actual events, it sounds like a harrowing experience.

You got that right!

Planes can be rebuilt, I'm just glad that is all we are talking about here.

Let us know what happened Todd, I'll be interested to know happened. I sincerely hope you and your daughter's injuries are minor and your recovery is speedy and full.

Todd, have you ordered a tail kit yet? Okay, might be a tad early for jokes. I'm just glad you are "okay". :D ;)

Last edited:
And... Definitely a good thing it happened on the ground. Yeesh.

Hope Paul and his daughter are doing well and recover soon. Hopefully this is what insurance is for?

+1

Thanks to the holy spirit for intervening in this one.

Events are going to happen.

Sometimes the timing of what is coming down can and is tweaked just a little bit to affect the outcome. It has happened for me enough to have faith in a much high power watching over us as much as possible within the rules of life.

Glad you and your daughter are with us Todd.

Ditto...well said David.

I wish Todd & his daughter the best and glad we're talking about his recovery. As people have said, planes/things/parts can be replaced.

Best Regards,
Stein

This afternoon I saw a Cessna taxiing at high speed northbound (strong southerly breeze). Initially I did not know if he was on the taxiway or runway.

Then he disappeared and soon I saw him taxiing through a ditch area. He had run off the runway.

I went to check and turns out he busted an approach light so after getting his info I started to repair the light.

In situations like this my mind free wheels and my thoughts were that this RV-10 fire has to be bad enough for any pilot. Even worse is having a family member on board. No doubt his first efforts is to ensure that he can get her out safely.

Insurance can take care of the plane. Yes it might be hard to rebuild or find a RV-10 for sale, but in the end what really matters is doing his best to save his daughter and himself...then the plane.

Last edited:
PRAYERS

All our prayers are with Todd, Daughter, Wife and family, and for all of those who know them. I wish them all a speedy recovery. All of the RV community, yes even newbee's, are thinking about you and hopeing that you'll be back soon.

Tom Swearengen
newbee-
TS Flightlines
Beaufort, SC

There was not a crash, just a fire,,,their injuries are not life threatening.

Thanks all for the thoughts. My daughter and I just returned from two days at Augusta burn center. We have been isolated from the world. We should expect a full recovery but I will tell you am glad I did not install those new latches! If you haven't do not do it! It could mean the difference of life and death. I only have one working finger so I can't type much.

So glad to hear from you and to hear you and your daughter are going to be OK. I'm sorry you lost your plane but so thankful it's the only thing lost.

Todd,
Glad to hear you and you're daughter are out of the hospital. I hope both of you have a speedy recovery.

good to hear from you!

Good to hear form you Todd------hope to see you soon.. Here's to a speedy recovery.
Tom Swearengen
newbee---no RV==YET
TS Flightlines
Beaufort, SC:)

Thanks all for the thoughts. My daughter and I just returned from two days at Augusta burn center. We have been isolated from the world. We should expect a full recovery but I will tell you am glad I did not install those new latches! If you haven't do not do it! It could mean the difference of life and death. I only have one working finger so I can't type much.

Todd,

I am very glad to read that you and your daughter are still with us. I know it must be quite a kick in the crotch to have lost the aircraft after all those years of work, but it could have been much, much worse. At least you and your daughter are still alive Aircraft can be rebuilt, but lives are much more fragile and precious.

Hang in there, and know that many thousands of VAF denizens have you in their prayers.

Good luck with the recoveries.

I hope that one working finger soon becomes ten (or eight plus two thumbs for you nitpickers). I don't know how I could help from way over on the left side of the country but do let us know if there's anything we can do to speed you back into the air.

The crash really didn't hit me until I came home today and saw my two younger children waiting for me and all the great posts wishing me well. **** I have something in my eye! My daughter and I were on short final and we smelt something strange. We landed and were going to get out as soon as we cleared the runway. The second we cleared the runway the Cockpit of the plane exploded with such a force that all the windows were blown out and the right door was blown 30 feet from the plane. My daughters backpack with her laptop and 20 pounds of books in it was blown through the baggage door and was unharmed. I opened the door with my left hand, unbuckled with my right and reached to unbuckle my daughter's but she was already halfway out the door opening. We both got out and the flames died down immediately. It was a flash fire with a lot of heat and not too much fire. I grabbed the fire extinguisher and got all the flames out inside but could see smoke coming from underneath and said "**** it" and ran. We both ran to the bathroom to put water on our burns and watched my plane burn to the ground. The ambulance arrived and wanted to airlift us out but I said we were fine and could make the 45 minute journey in the ambulance. Well apparently we weren't fine and were airlifted to Augusta burn center where we were for the last two days. We look worse then any scary monster out there but we should be OK. I smell Bacon! Or should I say I smell like bacon because the cover your wounds in pigskin to help them heal. We are truly lucky to get away from it. Like I said the explosion was incredible. The amazing thing was that all of the blast was directed away from us.

Good to hear from you, and I'm thrilled that you and your daughter are in reasonably good shape. I read this post within a few seconds of when it appeared a few days ago, and just didn't know what to think.

L.Adamson

Like I said the explosion was incredible. The amazing thing was that all of the blast was directed away from us.

Well, it has been said many times, God works in mysterious ways.

As an ex fireman, I know way too much about burn injuries. Hang in there sounds like you both will be just fine.

We all feel your pain, and loss of the plane.

Glad to hear from you Todd and happy you got out alive and with most of your skin. I hope you and your daughter heal up fast. I'll be praying for you both the next couple of weeks. what's her name?

Todd,

It is good to hear you two will be fine.

Thanks for the update!

When you get a chance, it would be really helpful to hear what you believe the cause of the fire was.

Todd,

I can't tell you how excited we are that the two of you will be fine in the long run. Take good care of those burns and hopefully you'll get all those fingers working again very quickly.

Phil

Glad to be having these conversations Todd!!! Give our best wishes to your daughter!!

A couple years ago, I burned off my face in a freak explosion of a jug in a pile of burning leaves.... It only got my face so I can't fully understand a bigger burn than that but I do know that it was very very painfull. I would hope no one would ever have to experience that pain but I know they do everyday, way worse pain!

I won't post the pics here but if you want to compare yourself to me, here is the link....the first hours.....the next day.....

I can tell you that within five days I looked like this....

It healed really fast. The newer skin is better than the old so there might be a bright side to getting an unwanted face peel..

You are an amazing person to have kept it all togther and make sure your daughter was safe and then be on here giving us all a view into the tragic event. We can only hope to learn from your experience....

Rest that finger and heal...

Last edited:
WHEW!

Glad to hear you are both doing OK. Even bad burns heal really well. My two year old niece fell into a fire pit last year...1st and 2nd degree burns to her face, hands, and arms. I didn't even recognize her when she was airlifted into Regions in St. Paul.
Well...no skin grafts and no evidence of the burns. She is a beautiful little three year old now and you would never know the incident happened. It's been said before...planes are replaceable, people aren't.
I wish you both a speedy recovery.

Glad you both made it!

Todd,

I can't imagine all the things going through your head right now. All I can say is that life is precious and I'm so glad you and your daughter will be OK. I wish you a prompt and full recovery.

Great news

Hi Todd,

I'm happy beyond words that you and your daughter are out and on the road to recovery. I'm also very glad that you took the helicopter flight in. With burns or any critical injury that first hour (The Golden Hour) can and does make the difference between life and death. Speedy recovery is probably tied to that decision.

Our thoughts are with you. Keep us posted and I wish you quick recovery.

WOW is Right!

Todd;
Although I've only known you and yours thru this forum, I've been on 'pins & needles' waiting for you to contact us!
Things could have been so much worse, and have been worse for some others who have had accidents.
Quick thinking and actions, I feel you saved yourselves. Luck is always a factor, but I feel you took it from there.
I hope you can 'brush yourself off and get back on!'
Scott

Last edited:
Thankful

Thankful!!! Very Thankful, that you and your daughter are with us and recovering:D

Sorry but thankful

Hi Todd, I just got back from camping and was sorry to hear about what happened but I'm sure glad you both are OK.

Back