What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ham 2m in the plane

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
I've got that extra antenna hole in the tail on my RV14; maybe......

I could put my ham radio license to use. Modify a com antenna to be appropriate for 142-150MHz 2m FM. The cable is already run back there.

Problems to sort: how to listen and talk.

If I had a PMA7000 I could make it com3, PTT and all!
But I have a GMA245; good but only 2 coms

I suppose I could find a radio that would bluetooth to my headset, and then rig up something to get PTT when I want it.

Anyone done any of this around here?

NO5L

APRS

Search for APRS for various ways to make a 2M antenna work and novel things to do with your ham license.

Buy a used aircraft grade LORAN antenna on EBay ($20). They were made for 144Mhz if I recall. Available in straight or bent style similar to our aviation comm antennas. Bevan

It has been many years since I held an amateur radio license, but, back then, most ham transmitters used a high impedance, low output crystal mike. They were not directly compatible with aircraft mikes. So I think you?d just want to bring the 2 meter mike (with PTT) to the cockpit. The 2 meter receiver and #2 com receiver could be run thru a single pole double throw switch (select com or 2 meter receiver as receiver #2).

I've got that extra antenna hole in the tail on my RV14; maybe......

I could put my ham radio license to use. Modify a com antenna to be appropriate for 142-150MHz 2m FM. The cable is already run back there.

Problems to sort: how to listen and talk.

If I had a PMA7000 I could make it com3, PTT and all!
But I have a GMA245; good but only 2 coms

I suppose I could find a radio that would bluetooth to my headset, and then rig up something to get PTT when I want it.

Anyone done any of this around here?

NO5L

Here is a QSO with K5AMM, airborne mobile. Give him a lookup on QRZ. Maybe he can answer some of your questions.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...50B190638E6D977241AC50B&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

73's
Tom
W4ID (W4ID/4...I'm typing this from SC:D)

Back