What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Extra length wire bundling question.

1974av8r

Hello all,

I am currently finishing up my power-plant install, and securing the various sensor wires as thoroughly detailed in the plans. I have followed the plans methodically, and now that all of the wires in the firewall forward area are secured as directed, the wires in the avionics bay leading to their respective main harness connectors are slightly different lengths. (GPS wire, EGT wires, voltage regulator wire, tachometer, etc. This will make securing them into a neat bundle nearly impossible.

Some of these wires had connectors already attached on the firewall forward harness, which indicated to me they were already cut to the proper length.

Should the "slack" on these wires with extra length (usually only an inch or two) be made as a service loop (respecting the 10X diameter of the largest wire for the radius of the loop rule) inside the avionics bay?

Should the extra wire be rolled into a loop next to the sensor or device it is servicing (on the firewall side)?

Does it have to be a loop? Can they be folded back and forth over themselves instead?

Doesn't making loops with electricity running through it create an electromagnet?

Please let me know your thoughts, and thank you.

AF1QipMlqLmFRo0l1V5EnOyJqf-gzaKVlhw-l7PNWSzO

I crimped the ends on the CHT wires before cutting to length. Put a loop in both. Guess I should get some more crimp fittings, cut to length ... and follow instructions :rolleyes:

Recently changed out an oil pressure sensor from the original Honeywell design that had no plug connections. I sure would have liked a little more slack after cutting the lead at the sensor and having to attach it to a plug. My thinking is leave in all the slack you reasonably can.

I appreciate the responses, and I would assume "more slack is better"as well. Hoping someone can help explain where and how the slack should be located though.

Next to the sensor?

Firewall side next to the firewall grommet?

Avionics bay side?

Looped or "back and forth"?

Thanks.

I don?t know which is better ?Doubling-Back? or ?Looping? - I've seen both.

My preference would be to keep engine compartment nice and neat. I would gather access in the instrument bay and have it available for the future if additional length is ever needed for sensor maintenance.

Personally, I would leave some slack in the engine compartment. If you do ever need to reterminate any engine side wires, it’s better to not have to try and pull slack through the firewall with all of the sealant that was applied to them to seal the firewall, then have to reseal it. And likely more pedantic than a real issue, but looping the wire puts less stress on the conductors and avoids potential kinking.

I like leaving slack as close to each end of the wire as possible. It simplifies using it later if you need it.

Back