Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-14-2020, 03:19 PM

Default Another question about your plane/config

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfb View Post
If folks are on the fence, I'd happily give you a ride in my Titan IO-340 powered 9A. The 340 is a PHENOMENAL engine for the 9, I can't say enough good things about this.

^^not a paid advertisement, just a very happy customer!
[Been "offline" for some time due to "new" work requirements.]

What prop do you have?

Was your plane the one at the Continental booth last year for Airventure? If so, I was trying to catch you but failed.)

I have what may be the original 340 on a side-by-side (RV6), and converted from the original carburetor to AFP fuel injection (worked with Don to develop a kit that would work with the OLD RV6, O-320, "tight" cowl).
With this configuration, I have been trying to sort something out and would like to have a dialog (offline) with you and ANYONE who has fuel injected 340 with Whirlwind RV200.

Thanks for ANY reply!
APRS
Old 02-14-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclark View Post
[Been "offline" for some time due to "new" work requirements.]

What prop do you have?
Whirlwind GA-200L

Quote:
Was your plane the one at the Continental booth last year for Airventure? If so, I was trying to catch you but failed.)
Yup, that was me.

Quote:
I have what may be the original 340 on a side-by-side (RV6), and converted from the original carburetor to AFP fuel injection (worked with Don to develop a kit that would work with the OLD RV6, O-320, "tight" cowl).
With this configuration, I have been trying to sort something out and would like to have a dialog (offline) with you and ANYONE who has fuel injected 340 with Whirlwind RV200.
Happy to chat, find me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/buildflygo
Old 03-05-2020, 05:41 PM

Anybody having excessive oil burn on their Titan 340 or 370?
Old 03-05-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizpilot View Post
Anybody having excessive oil burn on their Titan 340 or 370?
I have almost zero oil burn with my 340 @ 50 hours. Even from the start it has never used much.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:06 AM

Default My Titan at 2250 hours

I've just turned 2250 hours on the Titan O-320 on my -9A at 13+ years now. It really has been a good engine!

Oil change last night had clear screen and filter(just carbon chunks), the borescoped valves looked great, and all compression readings were 75 or above. She uses between 1/2 and 1 quart per 50 hours.(20W-50 XC)

We did have to replace an exhaust valve and guide at 1600 hours. That was about $300 to have it reworked locally. The engine shop said the cylinder looked almost new and keep flying!

I am watching her closely and will continue to try fly her wings off. Off to South Bend to see Mom tomorrow!

Amateur Plane - RV-9A N789PH - 2400+ Hrs
Amateur Radio - KD0CVN
Doggies Delivered - 25+
St. Paul, MN

Last edited by petehowell : 03-06-2020 at 06:13 AM.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:20 AM

The VANS Standards on the Continental web site are just like the equivalent parallel valve, vertical induction Lycoming(R) engines that VANS sells on their web site and which we make parts for. They have standard steel barrels, and have some but not all of the extras that are available with Titan customized engines. There are simply too many variants of the Titan engines to list on the web site. Those options include stroked 340, 370 displacement increases, different fuel systems, horizontal and vertical induction, high and low compression pistons, NiC3 and steel barrel cylinders, different ignition systems, etc.
As you can see, the number of combinations goes exponential. It's better to talk one on one to configure the engine to the builder's specific requirements instead of trying to list all of the variants.
Mobile, AL 36695
Phone 251 436 8122
jball@continental.aero
Old 03-06-2020, 09:23 AM

Yes the horizontal induction is an upgrade, we do not manufacture a "hot" horizontal induction, only cold air induction. The VANS standards are for equivalents which we can build using the parts that we manufacture.
Mobile, AL 36695
Phone 251 436 8122
jball@continental.aero