What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removing a PCU5000X prop governor

johngoodman

Well Known Member
I'm removing a PCU5000X prop governor to do some maintenance. I took the nuts off the studs, but the governor won't budge. I'm afraid to use too much force before I know all the issues.
It's been over five years since I put it on, and I can't remember what the insides looked like. Any suggestions?
John

Take a large screwdriver and turn it around, or anything with a relatively soft handle, wood dowel, etc.... and tap on the base lightly with a suitable hammer. Lightly! You might need to move it around the base. It will pop right off.

Obviously, you don't want to pry on it or use the sharp end of the screw driver!

While you are at it, it is very common for the Adapter to leak between the accessory case and the adapter. Double check and make sure it isn't leaking. If it is, fix it now. You will need a 1/2" crows foot to get to the upper inside nut if you have the oil filter adapter on.

Any other ideas?

I?m changing governors and the old one will not budge. I have tapped until I?m blue in the face. Tried to get some heat on it, but that?s tough due to its location. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Merrill

I’m changing governors and the old one will not budge. I have tapped until I’m blue in the face. Tried to get some heat on it, but that’s tough due to its location. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Merrill

The gasket will often bond the parts together, sometimes with surprising force. Tapping sideways is the least effective way of breaking the bond. Tapping in direction of separation is more effective. I often use the sharp end of a pocket knife to break them free. Use the the blade lengthwise, not the tip. You press the sharp end of the knife straight into the gasket and push (rocking the blade will help). The taper of the blade will force the parts to separate as you push it in. It will separate easily. Use a blade with a thin edge and go straight in to avoid scratching the metal surfaces.

Larry

Last edited:
Got it

Thanks Larry and Jon

Tried to get a knife blade in there, but even though it was very sharp and thin, could not really get it to slide in. So, I tried a few more taps, but rather than from the side, tapped front to rear on the underside of the head of the governor - lightly, with a long wooden dowel. The governor finally popped off!

Merrill

Back